Honeymooners!?

Millierhan

I guess I'm in a honeymoon period now, diagnosed with Type 1 in August after developing steroid induced diabetes. I was on 1:10 carb ratio of humalog, but over the last two weeks I have had both one of my immunosuppressant drugs increased and added Risedronate (bone building) and it appears after a scary 1.1 low in the night (fortunately I woke up), that I can stop the insulin. The Methotrexate has brought down my antibodies, so the theory is that there has been some recovery of my pancreas function. Who knows, and I wonder will this last? At the moment I am still counting carbs and taking blood sugars. They're usually high at lunch time, when the prednisone is at its highest peak in my system. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi fellow honeymooners,

Saw my nurse today who looked at my initial blood test results which they had tested for insulin production. I do still have some! I would have liked to have known that at first but oh well!

Reactions: 2 people

Lottie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We all do don't we? The problem is that's it's sporadic like a broken engine. Last year I had all the symptoms for a few weeks but just ignored it because I didn't know what it was and it went away... Now I know that my body just gave me a helping hand again, luckily I was low carbing anyway so it wasn't too much pressure on my body.

How's your low carbing gone this week? Xx

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't start low carb again yet as the nurse wanted to check my carb ratios.... Plus they seem to frown upon low carb and I didn't want to get told off :) I'm starting again tomorrow. How's urs going?

Lottie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mines actually gone really well this week. Had a bit of a bug on Sunday so that defo gave me the push I needed to sort my food out. I've got this new app too which puts my sugar levels into a graph and seeing the difference from last week with carbs and this this week without carbs has really spurred me on... Honestly the difference is shocking! Wish I could send you a pick on here. The app is called Diaconnect and is free so give it a go if you can.
Plus side of the low carbing- I've lost 4lbs this week! Wahooooo :) haha, do you use any apps to help with your Managment?

My nurse and dietician also told me I needed to increase my carbs and I need to have carbs with every meal but when I told Them I wouldn't do that they were really supportive... I think they have certain things they have to say as protocol. It'll all change soon though I think, low carbing for diabetics is definitely the way forward and keeps you so much more stable. X

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooh 4lbs!! Well done :-D
I'd deffo like to lose weight. I lost some low carbing but have put it on whilst carb counting for the DAFNE course even thought still eating quite healthy.

Do you find you get ketones?

Lottie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've recently put on 1/2 a stone due to eating peanut butter out of the jar with a spoon! In my defence it is low carb... but super super high fat! Haha

Well I just checked my ketones then out of curiosity and they were 0.6 which means I'm in 'nutritional ketosis' wahooo :) to be honest I have been knackered all week but apparently that goes after a couple of days it's like a carb hangover. Just hope I've got the will power to carry on through the weekend!

Had a bit of a low this morning and no idea why...
7am- 5.6- had I unit with about 6g of carbs
1pm- 5.3- had 0 unit with about 3g of carbs
5pm- 3.6!! Do you think my Lantus may be too high? Or I've spurted some insulin out? Because I've not had any insulin since 7am and that would of worn off by 11am x

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
...... but when I told Them I wouldn't do that they were really supportive... I think they have certain things they have to say as protocol. It'll all change soon though I think, low carbing for diabetics is definitely the way forward and keeps you so much more stable. X

I agree, Exactly what I have found. NHS policy says you must have carbs, but most staff know otherwise. I saw the diabetic dietician a couple of weeks ago, she wanted to know what I was eating.... Bacon, eggs, fatty meats, pot of double cream per day, lots of butter and lots of salad and a bulletproof coffe per day with 30g butter and 30g coconut oil (I am trying to put on some weight). The only thing she questioned was the coconut oil, why not just butter, butter is better than coconut oil. We discussed this for 10 mins..... I am still having coconut oil.

Lottie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought that coconut oil was better than butter? It's on my shopping list! Bullet proof coffee... Sounds interesting :/ haha

I think it's ridiculous that they tell us to eat carbs, do you think it'll change? X

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I think it's ridiculous that they tell us to eat carbs, do you think it'll change? X

I am sure it will, but fear it maybe years away. Changes move slowly in the NHS.

Lottie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
bulletproof coffe per day with 30g butter and 30g coconut oil (I am trying to put on some weight).

I've just been doing some research into the ketosis diet I'm doing and it said this....

'A popular trick people use to ingest more fat is “fat coffee” (sometimes called “Magic Bullet Coffee” or MBC). It involves adding one tablespoon of butter and one tablespoon of coconut oil to your (morning) coffee, and requires a food blender for the right texture. More fat in your food will fill you up more. This will ensure you eat less protein, and even less carbohydrate. Your insulin will drop and, hopefully, you’ll be able to reach optimal ketosis. And that’s when many a stubborn weight plateau is overcome.'

... Suggesting that you will loose weight? Are you struggling to put it on? X

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I've just been doing some research into the ketosis diet I'm doing and it said this....

'A popular trick people use to ingest more fat is “fat coffee” (sometimes called “Magic Bullet Coffee” or MBC). It involves adding one tablespoon of butter and one tablespoon of coconut oil to your (morning) coffee, and requires a food blender for the right texture. More fat in your food will fill you up more. This will ensure you eat less protein

My MBC or bulletproof coffee consists of 30g butter and 30g coconut oil, blended in a cup of filter coffee. Tastes nice, creamy. Lots of calories...... I am 6'-2" and struggle to get sufficient calories without overdoing the protein (and carbs)..... So this helps, without it I would loose weight, which I don't want to do (BMI is 22).

baz2107

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Definitely still in my honeymoon period been diagnosed for 15 months. Was originally on 10 units of Lantus, 4,6,6 apidra. Got decreased quite quickly, and was taken off Lantus for around 2 months at the end of last year, but my levels were all over the place doing that, so put myself back onto it and it was a lot more steady, currently have 2 Lantus at night, 1 apidra with breakfast, 0 with lunch and 2,3 with tea I am at 1 unit per 25g carbs.

I was on 1 unit at lunchtime but found that despite being between 7 and 9 when I got home from work at 6, by 8 I was having a hypo or low 4 every night with food, so Consultant suggested cutting out lunchtime apidra, I do this unless my lunch is carb heavy.

Personally I think I could probably get away with just the Lantus and low carbing- as a couple of times last week I missed my insulin (due to having hypo before eating tea so decided to take after eating instead and forgot) but my levels were fine. However as my hba1c since diagnosis have been 44,45 an 45 I am quite happy continuing as I am as I know it will only get more difficult over time

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Out of interest, when does the LADA / honeymoon period end? I kind of thought it was when you went on insulin, but obviously not.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Isn't it when you stop erratically producing your own insulin and are consistently dependent on injected? And MDI.

With a honeymoon, dosing is wild because you get unpredictable insulin surges. Nicht wahr? (I should probably do it in Danish - ikke også?

Reactions: 2 people