6.5 mmol/L

filmskate

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A recent fasting glucose blood test indicated a level of 6.5mmol/L (pre diabetes - insulin resistance??). My GP is arranging for a further more detailed blood test and I'm scheduled to meet with him on the 21st October. Does anyone know if Glucobay (alpha-glucosidase) is suitable for pre-diabetics to avoid them getting type 2?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. welcome to the forum. :)I don't know the answer to that question, sorry. Most people here would agree that cutting back on carbs (not just sugars) would help though.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @zand
Many people don't realise that potatoes, pasta, cereals, flour products and rice, never mind how wholemeal, brown or bitty they are, all turn into sugar inside us and can put up blood sugar levels. Another surprise is that fruit juice and many fruits are simply sugar with taste, so need to be consumed with care, or in some cases not at all.
Sally

Reactions: 8 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
@filmskate Yes, that is in the prediabetic range, but you need more tests (especially HbA1c and, possibly, a glucose tolerance test) to definitively diagnose diabetes versus prediabetes. The best ways to avoid diabetes and manage diabetes are weight loss, exercise, and eating properly. :hungry: By eating properly, I mean get a blood glucose meter and reduce or avoid foods (carbs) that spike your blood glucose. You definitely need more tests, especially HbA1c and, possibly a glucose tolerance test. Normally the first drug tried for type 2 diabetes (and prediabetes) management is metformin. :nurse:

Glucobay: :Acarbose is active in the small intestine, where it reversibly inhibits enzymes called alpha-glucosidases responsible for the breakdown of complex carbohydrates into simpler sugars such as glucose. Acarbose thereby slows the digestion of carbohydrates and extends the period over which glucose is absorbed into the blood stream." (http://www.glucobay.com/scripts/pages/en/professionals_home/key_facts/what_is_glucobay/index.php)

Make sure you get copies of your lab work results. You need to know the numbers in order to manage them.

Personally, I'd just cut back on the carbs rather than take this drug if you have post meal hyperglycemia, which you don't know yet if you do:pompous:.

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

A recent fasting glucose blood test indicated a level of 6.5mmol/L (pre diabetes - insulin resistance??). My GP is arranging for a further more detailed blood test and I'm scheduled to meet with him on the 21st October. Does anyone know if Glucobay (alpha-glucosidase) is suitable for pre-diabetics to avoid them getting type 2?
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Glucobay can only be prescribed by a G.P. so please ask your G.P. when you see him on the 21st. People here are not medically trained to decide which medications are suitable for you.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-medication/glucobay-acarbose.html

There is a lot you can do in the meantime to lower your blood sugars.

Have you read around the forum to see how others are managing to lower their blood sugars?

Do you have a meter and test strips to see which foods affect your blood sugars?

Have you seen the general advice? This is a good starting point and explains what to do.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

filmskate

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks everyone for your input - really useful. I'll keep in touch after my visit to the GP on the 21st.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That will be so good, it really helps us too if we know how you got on.:)

filmskate

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
One last question before I see the GP - is it okay to substitue Canderel (aspartame) for sugar?

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
I have prediabetes and I was told none of the drugs are licenced in prediabetes, so my GP referred me to the hospital, who were happy to prescribe Metformin. So far, no problems with it *crosses fingers*.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
One last question before I see the GP - is it okay to substitue Canderel (aspartame) for sugar?
I think so, as long as you're not talking a massive amount. :hungover:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm aspartame! I've included a couple of links with info about it. I drank loads of diet drinks with aspartame in them over several years and I feel ultimately it helped me to double my weight in around 15 years. The body seems to react to it like sugar and releases insulin as if it was sugar. Some people on this forum have said it can put up BG's too. I have never tested this because I don't use it anymore, I now try to steer clear of it. However if you are talking about substituting sugar in tea and coffee with it short term I don't think a lot of harm would be done, I am just not sure how much your BG's may be affected by it. A better sweetener is Stevia I believe. There's another one too, but I can't remember the name sorry (I have a massive headache right now). Maybe someone else can tell you - help someone?!!

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html
http://aspartame.mercola.com/sites/aspartame/AspartameIndex2.aspx
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/couple-of-questions.65202/#post-644560 - comment no 6

filmskate

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks to everyone - so nice to have support. No carbs vs low GI carbs whaddayathink?

Mandingo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @zand
Many people don't realise that potatoes, pasta, cereals, flour products and rice, never mind how wholemeal, brown or bitty they are, all turn into sugar inside us and can put up blood sugar levels. Another surprise is that fruit juice and many fruits are simply sugar with taste, so need to be consumed with care, or in some cases not at all.
Sally

In 100% agreement with every word

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't go 'no carbs'. I would choose low carb (gradually dropping to whatever level suits you and your BG's, test with a meter to check this). If you try this and don't get on with it there are other methods and some people like low GI or low GL (I believe low GL is the better of the two). Those two didn't work for me personally though, low carb with enough fat is my preferred choice.

Reactions: 6 people

filmskate

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Did anyone see the remarkable episode of "Trust Me I'm a Doctor" on BBC 2 on Wednesday or the follow-up article in the Telegraph?

Apparently if one cooks pasta, then cools it down and then reheats it it alters the structure of the starch converting it to 'resistant starch' which has a dramatic reduction on its effect re. insulin, calories etc. Try and see it on BBCiplayer or read the article on-line (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/11167883/Cool-and-reheat-pasta-to-make-it-less-fattening.htm.) Pasta could be back on the menu!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes I did watch and there is a thread about it if you have a look.
They tested non diabetics!
How would it affect prediabetics or diabetics is a totally different question.
They used a sauce which must of contained a lot of sugar and carbs as most do. Which would have skewed the readings!
But as everything concerning diet it's about what you eat and how much you eat!
I try to avoid med to high carbs and that includes pasta cooked, raw, reheated or chilled.
Read around and ask questions, there are no silly questions about your health.

Welcome to the forum!

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Welcome to the forum.

I have FBG 6.5 too - prediabetic. Now on metformin but had to be referred to Diabetic Clinic at local hospital in order to get it cos apparently it's not licensed in prediabetes. Not sure about Glucobay though. Docs don't seem to want to treat prediabetes, so I don't hold out much hope but it's worth asking. I did and I didn't have to fight too hard to get it, I just had to know the right concerns to get across.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm aspartame! I've included a couple of links with info about it. I drank loads of diet drinks with aspartame in them over several years and I feel ultimately it helped me to double my weight in around 15 years. The body seems to react to it like sugar and releases insulin as if it was sugar. Some people on this forum have said it can put up BG's too. I have never tested this because I don't use it anymore, I now try to steer clear of it. However if you are talking about substituting sugar in tea and coffee with it short term I don't think a lot of harm would be done, I am just not sure how much your BG's may be affected by it. A better sweetener is Stevia I believe. There's another one too, but I can't remember the name sorry (I have a massive headache right now). Maybe someone else can tell you - help someone?!!

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html
http://aspartame.mercola.com/sites/aspartame/AspartameIndex2.aspx
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/couple-of-questions.65202/#post-644560 - comment no 6

Hi and welcome,

I think @zand may have been referring to xylitol or erythritol (sugar substitutes), which are processed very differently from things like aspartame :yuck:.

I like both of them, but have recently stopped using xylitol because of its toxicity to dogs.

filmskate

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The results of my recent visit to the GP was that the HbA1c test came in at 6.7mmol/L so I guess I'm now a full member of the club! I have been prescribed 2 x 500mg Metformin per day and have to cut down on carbs and watch the dairy food. Any advice her would be welcome particularly the dairy food - I do use yogurt or should I say used to use yogurt.

Regards

Filmskate

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear that but please read as much as possible on the forum you will find loads of information and feel free to ask anything everyone here is extremely helpful