metformin type 2

mia160505

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi , im on metformin 2000.00mg a day , i have got really bad wind , and through the night im bring up what i call sulpher , rotten eggs burps , but last night i had this plus diarrhea and vomiting where all the gas was coming up , my tummy was so extended thought i was going to burst , this kept on from 12 am to 5,30 , iv never felt so ill , has anyone else had this

Davasutts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yes....I had the same problem when I 1st started on Metformin, hang in there it does get better as your body gets used to it

1207JRVL

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I have suffered with bad wind but luckily it's in the evening and not when I am at work. You seem to have had it really badly though mia160505 so I hope it improves soon for you.

DaveNN

hi , im on metformin 2000.00mg a day , i have got really bad wind , and through the night im bring up what i call sulpher , rotten eggs burps , but last night i had this plus diarrhea and vomiting where all the gas was coming up , my tummy was so extended thought i was going to burst , this kept on from 12 am to 5,30 , iv never felt so ill , has anyone else had this

Hi.... Welcome to the wonder of metformin :)
It hope that you get through this...and I bet that you are OK during the day.

With me I had enough of the upset tummy....and all that comes with it...and spoke to the doctor.
I stopped taking the meds as they were making me so cheesed off.

She prescribed a modified release (1000mg with my evening meal) and the symptoms have never returned.

Pls speak to your doctor as they do not prescribe meds to make you ill.

Foxie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
I suffered too but disappeared after a week.

As suggested see your doctor if you're still feeling unwell.

Good luck.

K

Kat100

Hello , I have suffered with this awful problem for about 18 months now ...it has been awful was taking 1500mg I have just started 1000mg slow release , will see how it goes ..it is early days yet ...I wish you well ...Kat ..

I have read that quite a few people have this problem ...

Foxie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes Kat, they certainly do.
I'm on 2000 mg of metformin a day.

Hopefully your slow release meds will work better for you then the metformin did. X

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely go and ask doctor to go on slow release metformin!

Other suggestions that may help:
try lowering your dose, then up it again gradually - this was advice from my doctor when he first prescribed the standard version, in case I got any side effects.

Taking your tablets in the middle of your meals might help too.

Changing brands - this also helped me after I'd gone onto the slow release tabs and was getting really bad nausea. My pharmacy is always swapping to different brands and a word with my pharmacist means that I now don't get the problem brand any more.

And metformin does not always take kindly to a diet with starchy carbohydrates, so consider reducing those as you can get a nice side affect of fermentation in your guts :wideyed::eek: which can cause gas and diarrhea - see here: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045911.php and look particularly at the section on Side Effects!

You don't have to (and nor should you be expected to) live with nasty side effects, but do persevere if possible as metformin can definitely help you in the long run.

Robbity

K

Kat100

Yes Kat, they certainly do.
I'm on 2000 mg of metformin a day.

Hopefully your slow release meds will work better for you then the metformin did. X
Thank you foxie , must try for a while yet ...but they don't seem to like my body ....
Good luck to you also ...Kat x

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @mia160505, I know how you feel as I suffer this way and have done so for the last 3+years. My doctor told me it was an acceptable side-affect and told me to carry on with them - then I came to this site and by switching to a LCHF diet it has helped a bit - rather thank having this problem 5 out of the 7 days a week, I now only have it 2/3 times a week. I am due my diabetic review in two weeks time and I will ask my doctor to move me to the slow release stuff. Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had similar problems, to the point I contemplated not taking them anymore. I asked for the slow release right from the start as I also suffer from IBS. I built up slowly, over the course of a month, to 2000 mg. I can honestly say it took me at least 4 months to get used to Metformin. Strangely enough, I did NOT have any gas at all. I *wish* I had, as it all built up in my stomach and it looked like I was 9 months pregnant. However, I had chronic diarrhea for the first 2 months. It was a hellish cycle of either being blown up like a balloon, or being on the toilet most of the day. I resorted to taking a lot of anti-diarrheals if I wanted to leave the house at all. I also had a very hard time eating, no appetite - but if I didn't eat with my meds, I felt much worse.

As the other posters suggested, ask for the slow release. If you have built up gradually, you may want to ask your doctor about cutting back and building back up again. Try to eat lightly, low-carb and drink PLENTY of water with the pills (before and after you take them). Take them in the middle of your meals and see if that helps. Good luck. I feel for you! I know its hellish getting used to them!

C

chris lowe

Welcome to to the foul bowels metfartin club. If you can persevere it does ease off eventually though I still have the odd day of side effects. If it doesn't clear up after a few months ask for the SR version. Don't know why they don't just put us on that in the first place (well I do, it's because the normal metformin is cheaper to prescribe)

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The more carbs you eat, the more wind you can get with metformin. Also sugar free sweets can also give you these side effects. I find that wheat and metformin are not a good mixture.

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry your having issues.....I cringed when I read your post, I picked up my metformin today and I'm starting it tomorrow for the first time ...I could really do without any type of bowel side effects as I already have a nasty bowel condition that doesn't need much encouragement to kick off.

Hope it settles for you anyway

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Strangely apart from twice at the beginning, I've gone the other way since starting on the metformin. At first I blamed the lack of carbs, but it doesn't appear to be that as every time I increased my dose it got worse. I gave up on the increase from 3 to 4 tablets as it made me nauseous and so bunged and mt BS is running at under 5 most of the day as it is.

Jojorid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That certainly answers a few questions , I'm on 1000mg daily , I work as a carer so thought ild picked up a bug along the way but must have been my body adjusting , been on it now for 3 weeks , it's much better now :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Took my first ever met with breakky ..scrambled eggs, mushrooms, wafer thin sliced ham and half tin of tomatoes. Reading 2 hours later 5.7 ..cool. Felt weird whilst out shopping, extreme tiredness, sleepy, lethargic, light headed, so when I got home I took my BG again and it was 5.1. Now I'm perplexed ,with these readings I shouldn't be feeling so washed out. I was fine when I got up this morning.

Guess it's just one of those bad days.

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@bookmite i am not sure if this will help but I have also been having similar symptoms to you. I was told it was my body getting used to lower blood sugar... It tool a couple of weeks for the symphony's to go away and now I only get them when my bloods go high.