diabetes week- what do you want to say

flojos mum

Hello, I work in a very large supermarket pharmacy and have been given the opportunity and responsiblity to sort some things out for diabetes week. As my daughter is diabetic I have asked her for what she thinks is important to help awareness.
So I am asking here as well -as diabetics what message do you want to get across to people, what information do you think should be available? what are the main things you think are essential for a greater understanding?

I have contacted diabetes uk and local support groups

I would be interested in any of your thoughts,
Thanks

skotish

getting your family and friends involved quickly, watching for the signs, acting fast as it took me 2 yrs too finaaly go to the doctors after my body gave up the ghost :shock:

MaryChristine

I would like to see young people's awareness of Type 2 diabetes raised, especially those who are already overweight. I want them to know that there is a genetic component (so if a relative has DM2 you may be at risk too), that DM2 is usually linked to lifestyle and that it is preventable and treatable but if not controlled can give rise to serious complications. It is not a mild condition but need not develop into serious ill-health.

I would like everyone to be made aware of the less well-known sympoms of DM eg gum disease, genital irritation, numb feet, blurred vision, loss of mental sharpness, which can be present in the absence of the better known symtoms eg thirst and increased urination.

I would like the differences between Type 1 and Type 2 made clear - that these are different conditions with different causes but with a clinical sign (high level of glucose in the blood) and potential complications in common.

Slightly off-topic, I would also like the emphasis in school PE lessons switch from competitive games and sports to personal fitness and health (individual tailored exercise programmes with achievable targets competing only against oneself to improve on previous achievements).

Best wishes

MaryChristine

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If you could raise awareness with the buyers that work in the supermarket that would be great. I wish there were more lo-carb foods available at local supermarkets, instead of shopping on t'interweb all the time... (I'm Type 2 and carbohydrate restriction impoves my condition DRASTICALLY).

flojos mum

thanks for all the replys, has really got me thinking now.
I want it to be accessable to everyone and try to reach as many generations as possible. Plans starting next week hope to have a good display by pharmacy or even better in the main entrance and hopefully have local support groups ect there when possible.

I`m back in work on wednesday so will email a buyer to ask about trying to get in a low carb range, my store has a whole aisle of gluten free products so dont see why they cant be fitted in there some where- cant promise I have that much power to get it done but I can ask!

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd like to say anyone can get diabetes. That is, you can be slim and get T2, or can get T1 without a family history of it. With constant media references to obesity and T2, folks may have the impression diabetes is what fat people get. (Well some fat folks do get it, but its not a prerequisite!) People may ignore symptoms, thinking it can't be diabetes because they're slim or have no family history of it.

nessa-lou

Dislikes
my injections
little sue i totally agree with your post, i was 13 years old and i could tell i had diabetes and my mum kinda called me a drama queen! lol all we hear about is if our over weight you can get T2 diabetes...just like an advert i just seen with the lil playdo people with the little boy. i think its a great advert but the media should help people to be aware of the differences between T1 and T2. as i am the only person in my family to get T1 and that it was my pancreas cells that attacked themselves! lol and show how people they can recognise the symptoms. all this world cares about atm is obesity and giving an overview of that gives people a typical view that overweight people get t2. bllleuuuurrgghh gets me so mad!

Trinkwasser

LittleSue said:
I'd like to say anyone can get diabetes. That is, you can be slim and get T2, or can get T1 without a family history of it. With constant media references to obesity and T2, folks may have the impression diabetes is what fat people get. (Well some fat folks do get it, but its not a prerequisite!) People may ignore symptoms, thinking it can't be diabetes because they're slim or have no family history of it.

Oh definitely, agreed! The Meeja and reality do not coincide well here, 20% of Type 2s and most all Type 1s are non=obese and 80% of obese people are not diabetic, yet still they play the blame card.

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That we are not ALL obese and did not do this to ourselves

Brian

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Patch said:
If you could raise awareness with the buyers that work in the supermarket that would be great. I wish there were more lo-carb foods available at local supermarkets, instead of shopping on t'interweb all the time... (I'm Type 2 and carbohydrate restriction impoves my condition DRASTICALLY).

I agree with this, but if buyers also asked producers for GI information as well it might create some impetus within the food industry rather than having something foisted upon them by a regulatory authority.

Regards, Tubs.

C

catherinecherub

To flojo's mum.
Is this being rolled out all over the country? Would be great if it was as we could all see the displays.
Catherine.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nessa-lou

No history of T1 in my family either, before or since my diagnosis.
I had typical symptoms, mum knew something was badly wrong (but not what) and was beside herself with worry, but GP kept insisting I was fine and it was all in mum's mind. Including when we told him that another diabetic had suggested I might have diabetes. Not that he ever examined me or asked me how I felt...

One would hope things had improved since then, but not judging by some posts on here :(

nessa-lou

Dislikes
my injections
thats weird, i knew a girl that was diabetic and all her friends were telling me i was as id be out and i would have to run to the local pub or run home because i needed a wee lol. and then my mum noticed me loosing so much weight and finally we went to the doctors after i went mad and the ni got an infection, but i knew myself at LEAST 6 months before i was diagnosed. x

Trinkwasser

LittleSue said:
Nessa-lou

No history of T1 in my family either, before or since my diagnosis.
I had typical symptoms, mum knew something was badly wrong (but not what) and was beside herself with worry, but GP kept insisting I was fine and it was all in mum's mind. Including when we told him that another diabetic had suggested I might have diabetes. Not that he ever examined me or asked me how I felt...

One would hope things had improved since then, but not judging by some posts on here :(

Oh yes I had that doctor too. :(

Except I was Type 2, but like a small but significant proportion of Type 2s I had symptoms going back to childhood.

Truly dangerous when you are actually Type 1 though, I wonder how many people die before getting diagnosed . . .