UK Ironman

Rick

Hi everyone,
I'm racing the UK Ironman this year and I'd really like to raise some money for diabetics along the way. I raised £2,500+ last year doing the Ironman 70.3. I'm writing a blog about general thoughts and training for the race at www.notintherightbody/blogspot.com (something like that anyway) and I've a page at www.justgiving.com/rickashworth. I'll try to be present on here more now too; and if anyone's got any questions I'll do my best to answer them, I'm just trying to raise awareness that diabetes isn't necessarily a limiting disease. I know it's difficult and I'm in a good position that I've got good control and I understand how my body copes with it but there are too many doom and gloom articles about diabetes (and everything else for that matter). Take care everyone and be in the best health you can possibly be.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Rick,
I'm interested and would love to read your blog, unfortunately the URL doesn't work.
Just in case anyone is in uncertain about what is involved, an Ironman involves a 3.8k swim, 180k bike ride topped off by a marathon (42.2k). In last years event competitors took from just under 9 hours to just under 17 hours to finish.
Anyone who finishes deserves respect, someone with type one has a much bigger challenge because of the difficulties in keeping their BGL (and hence energy )at optimal levels both during training and on race day.

Rick

Thanks for all the support and the links (I'll look into those later). My blog's at notintherightbody.blogspot.com/ (again...I think). It's fairly basic because I've got no idea at the moment how to put things on the page but I hope it'll get better.

nessa-lou

Dislikes
my injections
hey rick i just read sundays blog, you really made me smile ur so witty and you seem like you have your head held high! and you made me realise why sit here moaning oh my sugars are high...oh why me..and just get on with it, i dont want to be the couple sat next to you with no feeling in my feet! i want to live my life like i should as the 'norms' would lol. so thank you!! and good luck with your ironman thing!! i could never do that haha but im a lazy teen lol x

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
http://notintherightbody.blogspot.com
I've got it to work .
Some interesting posts hope that you find time to keep it up. Its great motivation for others.
Methinks that you perhaps might find a pump useful. I'm not anywhere near your league but being able to reduce basal for exercise helps me keep levels far more steady . (eg bike ride, forgot to change basal and a 1.9 reading after 45 min, same ride, same breakfast etc a week later but with 25% basal rode for 2 hours and finished at 3.9)

Rick

Thanks for the posts guys, glad I'm helping. I'm not exactly after everyone who reads these posts or my blog to donate (although that'd be good!) but, just so there's no confusion, I'm simply raising money for Diabetes UK and it's up to them how they distribute it all. I guess being a type 1 I tend to think down those lines and how best it'd help people like me but I kind of hope it'll be used to the betterment of the diabetic community as a whole.
Take care all,
Rick

nessa-lou

Dislikes
my injections
:D well done rick!! keep up the good work and if my loan comes in properly i might be able to donate lol, eeeh..students lol i havent got up to date with your blog yet but i hope your ok :)