Diabetes, life and all that - personal diary

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After yesterday's excellent blood tests results, it was important that there be no complacency creeping in, no taking the eye off the ball and no resting on one's laurels.

It is so tempting to relax to feel that it is a case of task accomplished but of course it is nothing of the kind.

My diabetes has not been miraculously cured. I am still as much a diabetic today as I was yesterday. I just happen to be a diabetic that can probably justifiably claim to be well controlled.

So I did not let my guard down at my school reunion last night. Dinner ended up being just a grilled chicken breast salad, although I did allow myself a couple of celebratory glasses of red wine. The reunion went really well, once we got over the task of adjusting mental images to the reality of how each of us looked these days; lots of catching up and reminiscing but a real sense of warmth as well.

Perhaps because of the wine, I found myself at an unusually low 3,8 this morning, so not wanting to miss my morning walk I decided to have a small unripe banana to boost my levels.

I retested at the end of my walk an hour later and found myself at a more normal for me 5,3.

So begins the task of trying to maintain the good control over my diabetes that I have now achieved.

Pavlos

Reactions: 3 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
House looks like warehouse today.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1415688569.894549.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1415688587.227521.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1415688618.510380.jpg

The wife decided that our Christmas decorations will go on early this year and there is boxes of the stuff everywhere.
I think that having a Christmas tree up before the middle of November looks odd, but experience has taught me that on some matters it is best that I keep my opinions to myself :)

Have a great day.

Pavlos

Reactions: 6 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Do NOT question your much better half :) After all, she's on your team mate

Reactions: 4 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
When I saw the pictures I thought you were packing to move house lol

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just been sent some photos from last night's reunion
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1415702683.031877.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1415702705.080077.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1415702719.897530.jpg

Pavlos

PS I am vain enough to be glad that I shed those 22 pounds before last night's event.

Reactions: 5 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As always great photos... however looking at all those boxes and bags.. are you sure your decorating and not moving house!!

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As always great photos... however looking at all those boxes and bags.. are you sure your decorating and not moving house!!
Madness I know but to give the wife her dues the house does look great at Christmas, when all the shiny bits and bobs are out of the boxes.

For now I am just glad I am not the one having to do the decorating and keeping a safe distance.

Pavlos

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a cold this morning so I decide that I will skip my morning walk and catch up with the exercise tonight if I feel up to it.

One of our Christmas trees is up ( we actually have two, a big one for the front of the house and this not much smaller one for the living room at the back). It's all white and snowy and looks cute but really out of place given the warm weather and bright sunshine outside.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1415768481.525977.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1415768663.090056.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1415768680.652085.jpg

In fact the whole house looks a bid surreal with all the Christmas decorations (prematurely) up.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1415768588.165134.jpg

But don't tell the wife I said that.

Maybe my cold is making me less appreciative of Christmas spirit.

Pavlos

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Fascinates me this stuff :) I've spent my whole life with Christmas in a REALLY hot climate but I was brought up with TV and film portraying what the season is like in the northern hemisphere.

When I get to the States, I'll finally see for my own eyes what a white Christmas is all about :)

Take care of your cold P :)

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know if this is because of my cold or not but I could kill for a nice thick toasted piece of white bread with some melting butter on it.

I am not going to have it of course; having an omelette instead, but does not stop me thinking about it.

This is strange as I thought I was past missing carbs, I have not been having any such cravings lately.

Oh well! Need to get myself to work snd get my mind busy on something else.

Pavlos

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I used to love my bread (sourdough and crumpets and muffins) but my mind is completely closed to them.

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Pavlos,

Love the Christmas decorations.. the tree looks amazing.
Sorry your feeling a little under the weather. I think however that you are not having carb cravings, that you just crave comfort. For me hot toast with lashing of butter was one of my comfort foods if I was ill or upset... I think our brains, don't forget the feelings foods like this give us. Now you just need to find a new comfort food.

Fingers crossed you feel better soon.
Kezzer

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely decorations even if way too soon to be taking about Christmas! Our cats would only destroy them by the end of first day. Hope the cold soon shifts. A nice white slice of toast with lime marmalade was my feeling down go to. Now it's a small piece of cheese.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lovely decorations even if way too soon to be taking about Christmas! Our cats would only destroy them by the end of first day. Hope the cold soon shifts. A nice white slice of toast with lime marmalade was my feeling down go to. Now it's a small piece of cheese.
They are lovely BUT it IS too long to Christmas.

I will be living in Santa's grotto for the next month and a half. :-(

Still if it makes the wife and son happy....

Pavlos

whatdoesthisbuttondo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on the excellent results, the good intentions and hard work is paying off!
Along with many others I love sharing your diary, getting vicariously warm from your sunshine! My wife is American, and I have to suffer living in Santas Grotto from thanksgiving at the end of November, so I feel your pain....

Its hard to maintain the correct level of fatherly grumpiness when your staring at a reindeer in a santa's hat .....

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Beautiful decorations. You must have worked so hard to get them done (in one day?). My cat would climb up the tree and topple it so we can't have one !

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Beautiful decorations. You must have worked so hard to get them done (in one day?). My cat would climb up the tree and topple it so we can't have one !
I had nothing to do with them going up. The wife and housekeeper are doing everything.

My clumsy fingers would not be trusted anywhere near anything as fragile as the wife's precious glass babbles.

All I did was moan that it is far too early to have Christmas decorations up.

That got me an evil stare from the wife so I quickly changed the subject before making a quick exit to see what the son was up to.

We will just have to see how Ginger, our cat takes to them.As most of the decorations on the tree are made of glass and highly fragile, I fear for his safety if he goes anywhere near them. The wife can be quite scary when angry!

Pavlos