Diabetes and Sleeping

Hiya
iI have Type 2 Diabetes and wonder if any other suffers are having the same problem as myself. When I sit down during the afternoon or evening I keep falling asleep. When I go to bed I usually sleep all night (except for getting out to go to the toilet about five times). I don't feel tired but still keep wanting to sleep. Does anybody else do this and do you think it is a symptom of the diabetes? I don't feel poorly, just keep dropping off to sleep
Gabrielle

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Hi Gabrielle and welcome to the forum.

To answer your question, tiredness can be a symptom of hyperglycaemia. Does this occur after you've eaten?

Hope you enjoy your stay here, we're a friendly bunch and more than willing to stick our noses in when invited :)

Regards, Tubs.

Hiya Tubs and thanks for the quick reply. It usually occurs about an hour or so after I have had my lunch, and and I just drift in and out of sleep for the rest of the afternoon.

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
It could be hyperglycaemia then. How are you controlling your diabetes, meds? or diet & exercise? Do you have a BG meter?

I'm sure you are aware that hyperglycaemia is a symptom of diabetes where there is too much glucose in the blood. It's a consequence of eating too many carbohydrates. What dietary information have you been given?

Regards, Tubs.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a similar problem the year before last, I kept falling asleep in lectures, and often could easily go to sleep for a few hours in the day if I went to bed. This has improved a lot this year, as my blood sugar levels have improved. Hopefully it will improve for you too as you improve your blood sugar levels!

peppiB

I readily fall asleep whenever I sit down, especially in the afternoon and have no trouble sleeping all night (apart from the frequent trips to the loo)

Now low carbing and trying to control sugars so hopefully this will improve

samcogle

I am slightly more awake than I was so i think it must have been a hypo type thing. I still sleep a lot but i go to bed about 10.30 and as I am off work I sleep soundly til midday, which is not good and as you say I am up a lot to the loo!
It is probably diabetes related and as others have said it depends on your food intake etc. I also have a nasty habit of yawning when people are talking to me which is so rude but i cant stifle it :?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It could be loads of things
I know it's scary, but some diabetics, develop kidney troubles which lead to anaemia. that can cause all the falling asleep stuff.
However, women of childbearing age, often become anaemic unrelated to diabetes, so I would suggest you ask your GP to check you out.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sleeping most of the day ?

Personal experience showed me that it was down to high Bg levels throughout the day.
I would sit down, start reading a paper and then wake up several hours later. Huge chunks of my life just gone - nothing achieved, nothing done !

Since changing my diet and medication, gaining control over Bg levels at all times. What a difference - up early, lively, healthier. Usually don't want to sleep in the daytime.

Diabetes related - possibly ( I think so).
However always see your HCP's for a proper diagnosis.

Ken
:D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
cugila,
I just mentioned anaemia as a possibility. It's very common in younger women and usually not diabetes related. there's a tendency for people who have chronic conditions to put everything down to them, when it may not be.
Also, he's T1, so it's not a perfect analogy, but husband falls asleep all the time and and is managing about 4 hours waking time out of 24 at the moment. In his case it is SEVERE anaemia. He's waiting on an iron transfusion.( you would have thought it could have been done while he was an in patient last week, all week. :?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
hanadr.

It was not a criticism of what you posted. It was in relation to the original question asked by gabrielle johnson at the start of this thread. She is a T2.
Her post is below:

Hiya
iI have Type 2 Diabetes and wonder if any other suffers are having the same problem as myself. When I sit down during the afternoon or evening I keep falling asleep. When I go to bed I usually sleep all night (except for getting out to go to the toilet about five times). I don't feel tired but still keep wanting to sleep. Does anybody else do this and do you think it is a symptom of the diabetes? I don't feel poorly, just keep dropping off to sleep
Gabrielle

Sorry I didn't make that clear. :?

Hi all
I should just like to thank everybody for their replies to my original question.
People have mentioned Bg levels - what are Bg levels?
My problem may well be aneamia (can't spell that) related, or it may be my blood sugar levels are too high. I have decided to be very strict with my diet for a month and see if it makes any difference, if not I'll check it out with my GP. I thought my levels were reasonably controlled - the diabetic clinic seems to think so, but they could be wrong. I usually put it down to my advanced age - 58 (nearly 59). I don't drop off to sleep whilst at work, only when I stop - so the motto is keep working! My diabetes is controlled by diet, exercise and three lots of tablets (Metfomin, Glimipride and Roziglitazone) and if I take any more tablets I'll rattle!
Many thanks
Regards to all
Gabrielle

EricD

Dislikes
Bullies and sockpuppets. Not being able to eat I want.
Gabrielle,

"BG" is "blood glucose", it's the same as "blood sugar".

I am a "moderate" to "high" carber and although I feel tired sometimes I don't suffer from "falling asleep" before or after meals, far from it, I can't sleep during the day at all. :cry:

Katharine

You must be exhausted getting up five times a night to the toilet. Can your GP help you with this symptom? Sometimes bladder stabilising drugs or amityptiline can help.

witsum

Gabrielle
Just a thought-Have you been tested for underactive thyroid as one of the many symptoms can be excessive sleeping
I was very much like you in that when I was working I obviously had to get up early and not able to fall asleep in the day much as I wanted to but come weekends and now I am unemployed I could sleepthe clock round!!!

sandymaynard

Hi Gabrielle,
i have just been diagnoised about three weeks ago, type 2, I have found that after eating i start drifting off the minute i eaten, usually within the hour to hour and half!
I find that this happens when my blood glucose is up! The other day i went up to 11.2 and i kept drifting off all the time! I find anytime like that i start to doze during the day!
I also find that i have problems getting to sleep at night! I have to get up and wee alot in the night when my blood sugars are up!
Have you got a blood glucose machine?
If not do you have a Lloyds near you as they are doing a special offer on machines, about £7.50!
i hope this helps, i do get tired myself after eating!
Sandy

belinda_b

Hi Gabrielle....I had the same thought as Sandy...from your post it doesn't sound as if you test yourself to see what your BG levels are. Although I have been type 2 for over three years, I only started testing regularly about three weeks ago and also have cut my carb intake a lot. This has made a huge difference to my energy levels and BG levels, with one exception, I get weary and tired feeling quite easily especially in the afternoon, this is due to the metformin I have been told, and should sort itself out eventually. This site is very god and there are lots of helpful suggestions about testing, diet etc....have a look about

cugila

Master
Dislikes
belinda_b said:
Hi Gabrielle....get weary and tired feeling quite easily especially in the afternoon, this is due to the metformin I have been told, and should sort itself out eventually. This site is very god and there are lots of helpful suggestions about testing, diet etc....have a look about

Hi both.
Metformin should not make you feel sleepy all the time - it is not a known side effect ? Your Bg levels and other thing's that have been mentioned are the more likely culprits. In any case you should discuss this with your GP or other HCP.

METFORMIN and side effects.
Anorexia, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea (usually transient), abdominal pain, taste disturbance, rarely lactic acidosis (withdraw treatment), decreased vitamin-B12 absorption, erythema, pruritus and urticaria; hepatitis also reported.

Hope this helps.
Ken. :D

belinda_b

Hi Ken...I haven't really had many side effects just the metalic taste and some abdominal pain, but I have found that I get tired, but find it hard to sleep at night ( I don't go to sleep during the day). I phoned my GP and he said that this is sometimes found and it should wear off. I'm beginning to wonder now if he knows very much about it at all :?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi belinda.
The side effects are from the British National Formulary, something all HCP's should use when prescribing Drugs. He/she should have access to this.

It is a fact, then again - what do I know. :?