Mood swings and emotion :(

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello does insulin and blood sugars control a persons mood and emotions? Because my mood always change dramatically and I get so emotional but the worse thing about this is I always take it out on my partner and it's not fair and I feel like such a horrible person I have really bad thoughts in my head all the time and that dusent help.
Can anyone help me x

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If your bg levels are up and down then this is will undoubtedly effect your mood, how is your diabetes control?

Reactions: 4 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Yes I'm same my blood sugars pretty much mirror my moods low im cool high and im Mr angry :((

Reactions: 11 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Blood sugars that are too low might cause you to act out of character. High sugars and high HbA1c levels make you tired and not up to things and you may become stressed, cranky and snappy. Speak to your DN or GP. Depression is closely linked to diabetes, there is a strong link. Hope this helps.
EDDIE

Reactions: 8 people

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I have had diabetes for 3 years I'm only 20 and it dusent help that I hate diabetes it's took over my life basically my blood are still up and down but I tend to find I change when they are high but I don't know what it is but I cud cry everyday to myself even scream if I have to but it's bringing me down cause I'm scared it ruining my relationship ;( I really for know what to do anymore I feel like giving up on everything to do with diabetes x

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello does insulin and blood sugars control a persons mood and emotions? Because my mood always change dramatically and I get so emotional but the worse thing about this is I always take it out on my partner and it's not fair and I feel like such a horrible person I have really bad thoughts in my head all the time and that dusent help.
Can anyone help me x
Hi coralkey12

Diabetes has a strong impact on our emotions.

Personally I find that when my sugar levels are high I can become moody and irritable and yes it is usually my wife that takes the brunt of it. She actually now tells me to go for a walk to get my sugars down when I do that.

In fact she often tells to take a hike even when my sugars are fine and there is no reason to do that:)

Have a look at this for anything that sounds familiar

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/emotions/

Pavlos

Reactions: 8 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sounds like you need to have a serious chat with a health professional and seek further help on relationship issues. It will be a learning curve to you both. Take care.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well I have had diabetes for 3 years I'm only 20 and it dusent help that I hate diabetes it's took over my life basically my blood are still up and down but I tend to find I change when they are high but I don't know what it is but I cud cry everyday to myself even scream if I have to but it's bringing me down cause I'm scared it ruining my relationship ;( I really for know what to do anymore I feel like giving up on everything to do with diabetes x

Take a look at the following which is an on-line version of the DAFNE course, it should help with your bg levels:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well Coralkay it is good to have a good partner. The blame game is probably attributed to your diabetes and not you.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've been there Coralkay, plenty of members here can empathize with you. Given a bit of patience and tighter glucose control you will feel better, I'm sure of that.

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Five years and it has been an enlightening journey for me and it has had its highs and lows.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
46, type 2 on insulin now. Feeling aok physically and mentally too. When my BGs were very high I was sometimes cranky, easily fatigued, thought everything was a struggle and generally peed off with everything and felt sorry for myself having diabetes. Now, don't worry about much, treat my illness as a blessing as it has wizened me up to diabetes and taught me a lot on how to cope with anything. I've had other very stressful events in my life and dealt with them accordingly. I know it's made me an easy going and better person.

Reactions: 6 people

Travelling enthusiast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello CoralKay,
This conversation really struck home for me, as I’ve recently started to find my emotions being affected more and more by my sugar levels.
Lows are always difficult to manage emotions because often I’ll be out of it, but for me it’s when I’m higher than I’d like I feel angry and frustrated with myself, on top of that the headaches from getting dehydration and just feeling burnt out from being high.
For the first time in 10 years I went to a Diabetic unit and I got fantastic support. I’m now seeing a counsellor who has said it’s difficult to manage and of course I’m ok to get frustrated about it from time to time.
I’ve had type 1 diabetes for 21 years now and most of the time it’s all rosy, but when I’m stressed or run down my diabetes creates an extra stress that other people don’t have to deal with and it really makes me angry.

Reactions: 10 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It can be a frustrating condition and can drive you to despair. I remember my hyperglycemic days well, thirst, fatigue, costant peeing and thumping headaches that will make you feel down.

CourCour'x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I suffer with terrible mood swings with my bm's I'll admit though most of the mood swings are due to the stress of trying to get my bm's on track. I tend to get as my friends would put it more "feisty" are snappy when my blood levels are high and then all teary and upset when they are low. I guess it all depends on the individual :)

Reactions: 6 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well I hope coralkay is ok. She's not replied yet.