does insulin cause weight gain?

Lindsay23

I could be wrong about insulin being an anabolic steroid but that was just what the doctors told me so I was passing on the info!

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Don't worry about it Lindsay23,
just remember that if you want to be a proper cynical and world-weary diabetic (like us lot)
then you should never stop questioning anything you hear or read.
In fact, you should double check that insulin isn't a steroid -
because who told you it isn't?, only me and fergus,
and we could be making it up as we go along.

Veritas vos liberabit :wink:

all the best,
Timo

D's Mummy

I'm new to all this. My 6 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus in the beginning of March this year. We're all still coming to terms with it all. My daughter is so very brave and is coping with things very well...she's a star.

I've been reading about weight gain with insulin and I must say I find it all very scary for my daughter. I'm probably just being an over protective mother!!

I'll keep reading and hope one day to be able to pass on some useful advice like I've seen here.

Thanks everyone ;)

wickedwicca

Hello,

I have been trying to get my Hab1c down to 5% (pre-pregnancy) and for the past 3 weeks I have gained 12lbs! It's a nightmare. I exercise 6 days a week intensively and follow a healthy low calorie diet.

I have struggled the past 2 years with just trying to keep my weight constant, but it seems that yes - insulin is the only reason I can see.

:!:

phi11

Thanks for the confirmation
I just kinda figured this all out for myself that so its got to be low carbs for me from now on. Working Hard in the gym to no avail, no wonder high BG's = High Insulin & Not Burning Fat .

Thanks All You've turned my Logic based Theory into HARD FACTS.

Yours
Philip
Current Weight 130 Kg (Over 20 Stone)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. The secret is not having low-calorie diet but a low-carb one. It's carbs that can put the weight on rather than fats so it's important which calories you limit. Restricting carbs forces the body towards fat burning (ketosis) which avoids high sugars and reduces weight.

JoanneGross

Yes, of course. Weight gain is one of the most dangerous side effect of excessive use of insulin. It is due to the function of the insulin itself. since the function of insulin is to reduce the elimination glucose level, so by using excessive insulin will may affect the over elimination of glucose. So it may results to the weight gain.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well i would also like the answer to this question.............im a type 1 diabetic , and yes ive put on a few inches,exspecially around my middle area. and i blame ther insulin...ive been a diabetic since november 2012

Lia Jhone

when i was searching for HR dissertation topics i just came across with this question.
Some people experience weight gain when they first start taking insulin. This happens for several reasons.

First, when blood glucose levels are high, your body is literally wasting the calories you eat because there's no insulin to help the body convert the food into glucose. When your blood glucose gets into better control with insulin, your body makes better use of the food you eat.

Second, due high blood glucose levels, you may be a bit dehydrated.

Third, and perhaps most important, insulin can make blood glucose too low if it's not adjusted correctly. If you're repeatedly treating hypoglycemia with food, this can result in excess calories and weight gain.

Work with your health-care provider to adjust your insulin doses to minimize hypoglycemia. Learn to treat occasional low blood glucose levels with glucose tablets rather than food; it's easier to control the amount of calories you eat. If your weight gain is out of control, ask for a referral to a registered dietitian for assistance.
:)