diabetes and chemotherapy

Trinkwasser

pedro606 said:
Surprisngly my brother is as thin as a rake. That is what baffles me with all this. How come he doesn't get 'fat' or 'obese' as it is fashionably called now to make us feel even worse and guilty.

I'm a skinny b******. So are most people in that side of the family, including especially the diabetics. The only thing that made me put on weight was a dietician. You tell them that and they don't believe you.

Edited by Mod for language

Last edited by a moderator:

PRINNY

hi trinkwasser, can i just say your blog made me laugh out loud and i read it to my hubby and family who are visiting us ay the moment, i have never been skinny but was quite slim at one part of my life, three children and a few years on have put on the pounds on including the chemo i had last year for cancer, startred cutting carbs so that i can reduce my insulin, i spoke to fergus and he is helping me so will see how it goes, thanks for the belly laugh, all the best, prinny

worried mum

Lisa news - The end of the (Hickman) line…………

I know it’s been a while since I gave you an update regarding lisa but things have been a bit hard going. I thought it would never come but remarkably nearly six months of chemo are over and Lisa had her Hickman line out two weeks ago. It was pretty gruesome as it had embedded itself but she’s already feeling the benefit of not being so restricted. Just when you think there’s nothing new to be learned about chemo Lisa had yet another stomach churning side effect in the last couple of weeks. The application of ice had stopped the skin falling from off her feet which was good news then one by one the nails on her fingers and toes began to work loose and fall out. She’s threatening to keep them and have them gilded. Her hands look as if she is an elderly victim of the Spanish Inquisition. What with the hair, skin and nails she’s well on the road to making a wax doll.

That Friday was also last chemo day - only at the hospital for 6 hours this time! We’ll not be sitting in that awful room again – hurrah!!!
She had to have her consultation with the surgeon soon to see how much surgery she will need and how much radio therapy will be needed after that. The hospital had made the appointment for her consultation for 4 weeks time but Lisa changed it to Friday 27th so that she can get on with it – so the rollercoaster has only paused for thought before charging off again.

Now that the chemo treatment has finished things seem to be moving on quite quickly now mainly because Lisa is driving it forward.

She saw the surgeon last Friday for 5 minutes after a 3 hour wait. The decision is that Lisa will be having surgery in about 4 week’s time. She will have what is left of the tumour removed from her right side and any post cancerous scar tissue. the surgeon predicts that it will leave a scar about 6 cm long but will not leave any need for reconstruction. This was good news and certainly what Lisa had been working towards. With the complications presented by her diabetes surgery needs to be kept to a minimum. However they have also decided that as a precautionary measure they will need to remove the lymph glands on her left side as well as some post cancerous scar tissue so that will mean more scars but at least it will all be done at the same time. So she will have to start injecting her insulin in her right rather than her left arm as it might cause infection – how odd. After the surgery there will be a decision regarding how much radio therapy she will need.

For the time being she will have about 4 weeks in which to regain some of her strength which will be good for all of us. Apparently it takes 6 weeks for the chemo drugs to stop working so it’s no surprise to see that the horrible side effects are still with her. The rest of her nails are falling out and she has developed extensive mouth ulcers but as she says this is the last of it.

So who knows but by the time summer comes things might be feeling a bit more normal.

She is full of ideas for what to do when she’s better and it’s a real joy to hear Lisa and Ian making plans even if they are dependant on the timetable for the rest of her treatment and have to be flexible. I think we have all only just come accept that it is not terminal and that there is a future.

A really bizarre touch is that an independent film maker wants to make a documentary about the whole sorry story. Watch this space !!!

As always thank you to everyone for their kind thoughts and support.

love
Annette

pedro606

She is full of ideas for what to do when she’s better and it’s a real joy to hear Lisa and Ian making plans even if they are dependant on the timetable for the rest of her treatment and have to be flexible. I think we have all only just come accept that it is not terminal and that there is a future.

My heart goes out to Lisa and Ian!

I went through 8 cycles of chemo myself and have some idea how she must be feeling. I have to say that I probably had it 'easy' by comaprison. She must be a very strong person and a credit to all your family. Enjoy what the future holds for you all. Having a second chance in life is difficult to describe.

Good luck.

Pete

candy1567

Dear Worriedmum

Have been following the story about Lisa and am glad it is nearing its end with happy results.

Would like to send a big virtual hug to you from a mum who knows what you have been goin through. Its easy to forget the family in this horrible disease and the parents have to be a rock to pick and mop up the peices. Its like a rollercoster of emotions i can remember laughing and crying at the same time and not really knowing why!!

But now is the time to be positive, and if my daughter taught me one thing is to grab life by both hands and give it a bloody good shake.

Take care

Juliexx

PRINNY

dear worried mum, i am so glad to hear that lisas chemo is over, i know from experience how elated you feel when you have finished that final session, i too had a permanant line ,a pic line in my arm, it was such a relief when the nurse took it out, lisa will start to feel better over the coming weeks, my chemo finished last september and i feel fine now just a little tired sometimes but i put that to being back at work and running around after children all day. i wish you dear mum and lisa all the luck in the world and that the rest of her treatment goes well,all good wishes from prinny.

worried mum

Many Thanks Prinny, Pete & Julie

I so cherish these messages from people who have "been there". Yes life is there for grabbing and we're all going to grab like crazy.

virtual hugs to you all and to anyone who needs one
love
Annette

PRINNY

Hi annette, like everyone else I have been thinking about Lisa and wondering how she is, I am doing race for life in Sheffield on the 14th of June, I feel its my way of giving back for all the support and treatment I received last year. I will be thinking of everyone suffering with cancer no matter what type, I hope Lisa is doing well, all the best to all of you, prinny.

worried mum

Hello Everyone – it’s a bit of a long posting I'm afraid

Sorry not to have been in touch, I know some of you have been on heckle pins (great expression) regarding news, but it has been so frustrating that I lost the plot for a while.

Well what can I say? Lisa’s nails, skin and feet problems are nearly as bad as ever even though chemo has finished. She had her consultation with the surgeon on Friday 27th Feb and pushed to have her surgery as soon as possible. Well be careful what you wish for. We had a very low key family celebration for my 60th birthday then on Thursday 26th March Lisa was told she could have her surgery that Saturday which would have been great had it not been for the fact that I was flying out to Lapland that day for a long weekend courtesy of Duncan, stress stress stress but in beautiful surroundings.

Lisa went in for her op and had the last of the tumour removed on her left side, some exploratory (and it would appear totally unnecessary) surgery on her right side and the lymph nodes removed from her left side. She came out pretty bruised and sore as you can imagine but I got a text from her saying “all the nasty stuff has now gone” and it was a good feeling. Then against all odds we had a fantastic display of the Northern Lights and raised a glass of……. Hot chocolate – it was minus 10 after all – things seemed to be on the up at last.

She was out and home very quickly with all going well until there was a set back when she was taken back into hospital because the wounds were infected. The infection was serious but they were loath to keep her in hospital as three wards had been closed due to virus infections so they gave some very strong antibiotics and another drain for the gunk and sent her home.

They also gave her the results of her tests and said that they had found that three of ten lymph glands that had been removed were infected with cancer. This came as a thunderbolt. There was talk of more surgery once the infection had gone. We felt we were back to square one. Another appointment was made for when her surgeon came back from holiday and we had a rotten week of feeling terrible. It wasn’t helped by being told that during the surgery her BS levels had dropped dramatically and there had been an “emergency”.

One bright spot was that Lisa's wounds from her operations had cleared from the infection enough to stop the flow of gunk coming out but this had been replaced by a torrent of lymph fluid which was keeping the wounds wet and so they weren't healing. The doctors and nurses were stumped and were prepared to do the let's wait and see approach. I wracked my brains to think of a way of allowing the fluid to drain but keep the wounds dry, what would do that? why of course Pampers - if the adverts are to be believed they keep the skin dry and absorb the wet. So we got some, replaced the dressings with lumps of Pampers and two days later nearly all were all healed up - bingo!!!!!

The constant pain, the side effects of the strong antibiotics and the lack of progress with the wounds had brought Lisa's spirits lower than at any time since she was diagnosed last August. Luckily by the time she saw the surgeon again she was off the antibiotics and the Pampers had worked their magic so she was ready for a fight over all this mismanagement and conflicting information, grrrrrrrr.

Some good news was that what we had all feared the most, that there were new cancer cells, was not the case and what we should have been told was that these were old cancer cells in her lymph nodes and were now all gone - what a relief!!!!!!.

To condense the meeting down to a few sentences - The surgeon confirmed that although she had excised a lot of tissue the tumour had hidden part of itself further than the scan could reach and was still larger than expected so she may or may not have removed enough of the surrounding area during the operation. As a result Lisa was to have the wound reopened and more tissue excised then have radio therapy to clear up the last vestiges. Her new operation will be on 7th May (just before Ian's birthday so we are sticking with the pattern of memorable events being ruined).

They accepted that she had contracted her infection in the operating theatre and that she should have received better treatment post surgery. They were stunned by the Pampers solution and will pass it on as a good idea for other post op patients with similar problems - what planet are we on?

One other piece of worrying information was that they have tested the live cancer cells with various drugs and have found that while the cancer is very aggressive it is also unusually resistant to conventional treatments and only the high dosage of chemo had worked The surgeon also said that it shows that whatever Lisa has been doing to help herself she's been doing it right and could she pass it all on.

So it's two steps forward and one back but it could have been so much worse. Lisa is feeling very much more positive and has started planning things again –

On a very bright note - The Carefree Holidays for Carers have started with our first families arriving in May and June which is great and shows just how organised and strong Lisa is to have sorted all this out while she’s been so ill. One family is a Dad and three young children who have been left without their mum due to breast cancer and another is an older couple where one of them has just come through a chemo experience similar to Lisa’s. They were nominated by friends and sponsored by individual fund raisers and this seems a good way to go for us as the main charities seem to want a lot of forms completed both by us and the carers. It’s only a week in a caravan not the Crown Jewels!!!

I will be only too pleased to get any advice from any of you who have experience of setting up a charity please as this may be the way we need to go.

As always thanks for your positive thoughts and support. We now have a huge ring of good will and positivity surrounding us and I know that without these we would have sunk without a trace ages ago –

Hope the Race for Life goes well Prinny,
Enjoy the sunshine everyone
Love
Annette

PRINNY

hi annette, i have just read your posting, lisa and all of you have been through so much, she really has had it rough. i cant believe the hospital the one place where we hope we are safe seems to be a place where we sometimes take a risk when having surgery. i was lucky i had two lots of surgery for my breast cancer and didnt have any trouble, mine came in the middle of chemo when my bs shot up to24 and i had to go on insulin. iam glad to hear that Lisa is starting to feel better but its a worry that she has to have more surgery but it something she has to do in the hope that the cancer is taken away, I wish her all the best and i will remember her and all the family in my prayers, thank you for the wishes for race for life, God bless, from prinny.

jane58

Hi Annette

How are you all doing ? I do hope that Lisa may now have had her final op an that she is on the road to recovery. Please send her my best wishes - and to you ofcourse

Jane x

worried mum

I was just thinking that I aught to get on the website and update everyone when I had a message from Karen who must be psychic,.

I can't believe it was so long ago when I was last on the forum.

when I last posted Lisa was recovering from a second operation and we were thinking she was on the mend however a few days later we got the news that the results of the excision showed that the cancer had re grown and she would have to have a mastectomy after all. It was a very difficult time for Lisa but she got on with it and spent 4 weeks just getting her strength back ready for her operation which was on 17th June. After a few tedious hours of messing about at the hospital she had her mastectomy around mid day. She was in theatre for about 3 hours and it took quite a long time for her to come round from the anaesthetic but she was soon sitting up texting that she was bored and ready for a visit.
A real bonus was that she ( and nurse bear) had been given a single room which was great not least because it was a mixed ward. Once I got over to Exeter I was pleased to see that despite the tubes, drips and drains she looked so much better than she has for some time. She said that she felt as though a great weight had been lifted from her mind. Even though there is more treatment to come she felt that at last most of the cancer was gone. Also she had been dreading how she would look after the mastectomy but the surgeon had been very neat. I think it helped that she was a little high on morphine ( that's Lisa not the surgeon).

They put her on a glucose and insulin drip so that they could treat her diabetes with a sliding scale but to be honest it was doing more harm than good. She had been on the DAPHNE course and was soon showing them how to manage it better. BS level back to normal very quickly.

she came out of hospital after 4 days and she was pretty upbeat about it all. Lisa had to go back to the hospital for a consultation with the surgeon last Friday and the news is that, following her mastectomy, there is no evidence of cancer now. Once the wounds have healed she will be having a three week period of radio therapy to eradicate any pre cancerous cells which might be left. So it's good news for a change.

She's not jumping for joy, she's just too tired, but we are all quietly cheering and can at last start to make some plans for the autumn when the radio therapy will have finished and she'll start to get her strength back.

thank you all for your support, I'm not sure how I would have coped over the last 11 months without my support group - an oasis of normality and care in a desert of uncertainty and anxiety.

So now I can feel the fog in my brain clearing, watch out world

the next step is to get our charity registered and then there will be even more positive news. Lisa is determined that after all this she will have the life she was born to live and not be side tracked.

Hope you are all well and looking forward to a lovely summer-

lots of love
Annette

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya annette,
so pleased things are looking good,
hugs to u all xxxxxxxxx

PRINNY

Hi Annette, just read your blog and i am so glad that thinga are loking better for Lisa its good to read some good news and that things are looking positive, I hope Lisa continues to get stronger and that the rest of her treatment goes well, I wish Lisa and all of you good luck and Gods blessings, all the best from Prinny

vic_kirk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I appreciate this was many years ago now Annette.
I have just found this blog, as a Type 1 Diabetic for 25 years (aged 33 now) ive just been told i have breast cancer and about to starting the same journey as lisa. Did she get through it all ok?
Thanks you for posting your story and giving me more information for what i have in store.

D

Deleted member 308541

I have just found this blog, as a Type 1 Diabetic for 25 years (aged 33 now) ive just been told i have breast cancer and about to starting the same journey as lisa. Did she get through it all ok?
I do not think will you get a reply from the OP, as this thread is nearly ten years old.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks you for posting your story and giving me more information for what i have in store.

Vic - I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It's undoubtedly quite a blow.

As Tipetto as said, you may not get too many, if any responses to this thread, but I'm sure you would if you would like to start a new thread of your own. I to know we've unfortunately had a few members deal with breast cancer

Good luck with it all. I wish you well.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

I have put a post in diabetes discussions about my journey with breast cancer and a link to an article and photos on the mail online (wednesday just gone).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...oudly-shows-flat-chest-double-mastectomy.html

I also have two further articles coming out in two womens magazines in the next 4 weeks.

Theres also an axcellent facebook group called flatfriendsuk.
Such supportive and knowlegeable women of all ages..

I wish you well on your journey through it all. Believe me, it can be a tough journey but there is definitely light at end of tunnel.

Hope this helps.. always here for you..