Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sable_Jan

This may be off topic given the title of the thread, but I have just read through all 659 pages of posts :eek: and I noticed a number of people having doubts about the results from their Codefree machines. I have had quite a few odd ones recently. eg 11.8 post-prandial when I had NO carbs, NO sugar, washed and dried my hands thoroughly etc etc. I immediately did another test, same finger but other side = 7.6 which is what I'd expect. This has happened about 8 times since.

I liked the theory about the size of the blood drop and the efficiency of adding same to the strip, but I was able to disprove that one.

Then this morning a new batch arrived along with load of other parcels and they were all really, really cold from being in a delivery van in snowy Scotland. EUREKA MOMENT! The strips are not supposed to be stored below 2 deg C (ie not in the fridge). The previous batch also arrived on a very cold and snowy day.

To back this up, one of the posters who is having problems said she kept hers in the CAR! That particular post was back a few months ie when it was a lot warmer, and we all know how hot cars get in summer! The maximum temperature the strips are supposed to be stored is under 30 deg.

Also, not in the bathroom in the humidity. So ,,,,,, this may be the answer. Thoughts, fellow forum members?

PS: My fasting blood glucose this morning is 7.6, down from 13.8 two weeks ago before I dumped my statins in the loo, and switched back to my usual LCHF diet after giving the HCLF one a 3 month trial at the behest of my DN.
Wow!!! That must've taken some doing. That deserves a very BIG welcome to the thread.....

Reactions: 14 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
LOL Jan, I thought the same as you did :joyful:

Reactions: 8 people
S

Sable_Jan

13.6 why is it higher than it was before bed?
Hi @KLS. Overnight if your blood sugar levels drop your liver may dump glucose into your system. If you search for "liver dump" or "dawn phenomenon" on the main website you will find information about it. Searching the forums will, no doubt, bring up a lot of discussion about it too.(has been discussed in and off in this thread) I don't know how meds impact on this as I don't take any. Hope this helps. Welcome to the thread

Reactions: 10 people

KLS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @KLS. Overnight if your blood sugar levels drop your liver may dump glucose into your system. If you search for "liver dump" or "dawn phenomenon" on the main website you will find information about it. Searching the forums will, no doubt, bring up a lot of discussion about it too.(has been discussed in and off in this thread) I don't know how meds impact on this as I don't take any. Hope this helps. Welcome to the thread
Oh, thanks, just had a look. I'm not on meds yet, seeing GP Monday as I haven't got an appointment with the nurse until Feb. Not getting readings lower than 12 atm, eating low carb (carbs in veg and fruit).

Reactions: 9 people
S

Sable_Jan

Oh, thanks, just had a look. I'm not on meds yet, seeing GP Monday as I haven't got an appointment with the nurse until Feb. Not getting readings lower than 12 atm, eating low carb (carbs in veg and fruit).
Sometimes it does take more than diet alone but if you test before your meal then 2hrs after you will see what impact that meal has on your bs. You're aiming for a rise of no more than 2. It isn't always the "what" but portion size as well.
I was in prediabetic range last year but armed with my meter and diet adjustments am now in the normal range. HbA1c now 39 :)

Reactions: 14 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
a predictable 5.1 after heavy exercise last nite :)

Reactions: 18 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
That's a good 5.1 and btw are you not smoking anymore or cutting down still Mike ? :)

Reactions: 6 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
a predictable 5.1 after heavy exercise last nite :)

Hi Mike, I know I have some good numbers, but to put yours in perspective your fasting is slightly lower than mine.

I'm averaging 5.2 on 30 days
Neil

Reactions: 10 people

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
7.4 had a rough night only about 4 hours sleep. Will have a sleep later. Wrap up warm it looks cold out.

Reactions: 16 people

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
5.2 as per normal, not complaining it's has become obvious to me (I think) that my fasting levels are in the 5's and the only time they are below is if I have a drink the night before and we all know why that is.

But happy with the since I have not had a reading above 7.8 in months, even if I have a naughty treat.

With a little,more work on my behalf I am hoping to come off the mess in May which is my next DN appointment.

Cold and frosty start to that day here, keep warm and cosy everyone have a good day.

Reactions: 21 people
Status
Not open for further replies.