Just discovered Matzos: low carb

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't eat bread, haven't for about a year, but have no objection to the occasional cracker. I have just found Matzos, the Kosher crackers. I'm not Jewish, but also not prejudiced. I found these and had one with marmite after my breakfast egg. Delicious, wonderful crunchy texture and only about 5g carbohydrate.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I found the Matzos in the "cracker" area of my local Tesco, just near the rice cakes and some interresting looking crackers made from Quinoa. I looked at everything and read the nutrition panels. these seemed the lowest carbs.
I have occasionally bought the Very low carb crispbread sold in Holland and Barrett. It's the one mentioned by Bernstein.
Does anyone know where to get the daVinci syrups he mentions? Buying on-line is expensive as they come in glass bottles
hanadr

stevied

Been eating Matzos for a while now :D They are the biz. 8) I tend to clear the shelf at Tescos when they get them in.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I spotted some in Sainsbury's too. Have you tried the quinoa crackers? I tried quinoa as a grain, before I reduced my carb intake. It was OK, but I prefer barley. Still I'm not eating those things now until I get to a reasonable weight and only if I can keep the BGs under 6, so it has to be minuscule portions.

sixfoot

Have you tried Nairns Oatcakes ? 2 sorts fine and roughmeal -- No i dont sell them. I actually prefer the roughmeal great with cheese.
5.7g carb per biscuit of which 0.1 sugar

Ashland

Dislikes
Constantly being asked if I'm okay! (does this happen to you?)
Hmf, matzos. Nowhere near me sells them.
However: Jacobs Savours "Salt and cracked black pepper Bakes"
Are only 4.1g of carb per cracker, taste excellent and (despite the name) manage to be <0.1g of sodium too.
And you can get them Everywhere. They're just not as coolly-named as Matzos.

whatashock

Ashland, where do you live.

I have the benefit of being Diabetic, AND Jewish, and have eaten matzah all my life. It is eaten by Jewish people at Passover, which coincides with Easter.

The only issue that I have, is if you look at the big boxes, a 'slice' of Matzah has about 17g per slice, so be careful.

lilibet

Nairns fine milled oatcakes -Low Gi and 4.4g carbs
M and S Wheaten Biscuits, 2.5g carbs

Will look out for matzos though

barge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
when i first became diabetic i went to a six weeks course and was told not to eat matzos i am jewish and love them but you do need to put a lot of topping on them.i will start eating them again

Grumpy

sixfoot said:
Have you tried Nairns Oatcakes ? 2 sorts fine and roughmeal -- No i dont sell them. I actually prefer the roughmeal great with cheese.
They do picnic/snack packs of those,a big bag of little packets of two; you can get stem ginger or berry ones.I can only get them ion bigger Waitroses though. Two biscuits are JUST right if you're needing a bit of something to keep you going!

bigskip

Grumpy said:
sixfoot said:
They do picnic/snack packs of those,a big bag of little packets of two; you can get stem ginger or berry ones.I can only get them ion bigger Waitroses though. Two biscuits are JUST right if you're needing a bit of something to keep you going!

The stem ginger ones, however nice they are, are much higher in sugar than the normal oatcakes. I use morrisons own brand (cos i'm tight)

makka

How about Fudges Cheddar Wafers? 41.8g of carb per 100 grams doesn't sound great until you realise that is the whole packet! They are cheesy, crispy and not too sweet. I find 4 or five at a time is enough. They also do Stilton and Jalepeno flavours which are slightly lower in carbs but I haven't tried them.

Plus with the packet being 100g it's easy to work out the content of each wafer.