FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
unfortunately we have to wait for DVLA to accept it. looking forward to NOT having to jab myself every 2 hours, which is there current protocol

What would the DVLA critera be? I can't see them signing off a product that doesn't meet NHS approval.

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What would the DVLA critera be? I can't see them signing off a product that doesn't meet NHS approval.
no idea mate, and as they are still in the stone age....it looks like years before they catch up......................unfortunately :-(

Reactions: 2 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
no idea mate, and as they are still in the stone age....it looks like years before they catch up......................unfortunately :-(

At the moment, if I was asked by either the NHS or the DVLA whether the Libre should be adopted/funded by the NHS and its readings used for DVLA purposes, I'd have to say no.

It should not receive NHS money in any way until it is consistently consistent. With the variance in the accuracy of the sensors, it will do more harm than good in wider public release. Most of those who have used it in early release already had an interest and good understanding of their condition - that is not true of the vast majority of diabetics. In its current state, the Libre will probably do more harm than good and it will be a drain on NHS resources as people keep contacting the diabetes teams to discuss concerns about the Libre's inaccurate readings - not to mention early removal and replacement of sensors, the cost for which I'd bet will be borne by the NHS rather than Abbott once it is in wider release.

As for the DVLA, it simply isn't up to the job and relying on it for monitoring driving fitness would just be dangerous.

In my opinion, Abbott needs to be put under a lot of pressure to get consistency in the readings - whether the consistency is high or low is irrelevant as long as it's consistent within and between sensors. They will have no incentive to achieve this if the NHS buckles and pours billions of pounds into their pockets.

Smidge

Reactions: 12 people

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to agree with Smidge. If this was on the NHS people would just pull off a dodgy sensor and put another on without thinking as they aren't paying.

As we have been paying we are chasing Abbott and feeding back but that would be lost if funded.

Throwing away a test stick which is pennies is one thing but. A sensor is another.

I'm sure they are working to fix these issues and fingers crossed they are sorted and then funded. Only by systems like this being funded will other people look to develop better ones.

Reactions: 6 people

GraemeJones

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just spoken to the nice people at Abbott about my latest faulty sensor. Explained the problem with readings being too high by up to 100% and they have agreed to replace it FOC. They will also send a pack of blood test strips FOC so that I can check with those if (when?) I have another sensor which reads high.

I took the opportunity to ask -

1. Do they have a date yet for supply of sensors by subscription? No, still being told "1st quarter of the year".

2. Did all 144 sensors used in the clinical trial work correctly, or did they have to replace any of them? He didn't know.

Graeme

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

....just about sums it up really. That's three in the last five that have either been erroneous or just broken.

This one worked fine up to and including about half an hour ago. It must have known I had ordered some more.

Back on the phone with Abbott tomorrow. Far too many failures to go on the NHS.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Richard F, when it all works, it is absolutely brilliant. The issue is that things like sensors failing before 14 days, giving wildly incorrect readings, etc, happen far too frequently. I've been using it since ordering at the end of October. I have five replacement orders for broken bits with Abbott in that time and it is only three months. Its not like I am an extreme user either. I have an office job and go to the gym.

I just don't think it was fully tested in a user environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
It will be available in March. But **** my skin doesnt look good after my last sensor...got little red bumps under it, hope it's just because of the tape I used to keep it stuck. 14 days just seems too long to cover your skin with this device..

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
image.jpg
It's not as bad as some of us had it but I didnt have this after my previous sensors..:s

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Richard F, when it all works, it is absolutely brilliant. The issue is that things like sensors failing before 14 days, giving wildly incorrect readings, etc, happen far too frequently. I've been using it since ordering at the end of October. I have five replacement orders for broken bits with Abbott in that time and it is only three months. Its not like I am an extreme user either. I have an office job and go to the gym.

I just don't think it was fully tested in a user environment.

I agree. It was never subjected to full clinical trials before being released as a working device to the paying public. I also believe that it was rushed out to get ahead of other device(s) that are currently in clinical trials. The CE certification means nothing in terms of accuracy or reliability..

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The red mark thing is a bit strange... I never had a mark for my first few sensors but the last three have left marks & the second last is quite red even after a fortnight. There has been no soreness or itching with any of them & the red marks don't hurt.

I managed to knock the last sensor off with the door frame trick & that was sore, but luckily only had a day & a half left on it ...

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Not really itchy skin is just irritated. When i was pulling the sensor off it was almost coming off the adhesive circle..just not nice, i will take the next one off after 10 days since that's just more hygienic..

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was thinking earlier (dangerous move) how much this convo has changed from mainly glowing excitement to disappointment really. Even those who were positive at first have now experienced the dodgey sensors and lots of rashes.

My sensor has made me lazy I think. I didn't blood check this one for a week thinking it was ok, now today realising it's 2mmol out and been on 8 days.

Plus I owe abbott £208 because they didn't take funds in November, my fault I guess because I didn't realise, but still means I can't afford to pay and buy more sensors. Only got one left and now in debt of £208. That's £308 to get next 2 sensors.

Not feeling the Libre love today. Not at all.

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
I think the accuracy isn't the biggest problem. If you just manage to be on 5/6 mmol you're always fine, even if it's 2mmol out on times (which it of course shouldn't be). My last (unpleasent to my skin) sensor was just 0,1 mmol out the 3 times I checked it. Furthermore you have to blood check values you don't trust. Values above 8 I tend to correct because i know libre mostly indicates slightly lower values.

However, of course they need to prevent the really dodgy sensors which are inaccurate.

Furthermore I think the sensor lifetime should be shortened for the sake of preventing skin problems. It's just not healthy to have sensors breeding on infections and other odd skin reactions for 14 days. Of course shortening lifetime would have to mean also a price drop.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Hill28 - that skin reaction looks very similar to how mine started. I had a red crescent with one sensor - no hurt or itch - then a bad reaction to the next one on the other arm, then a complete flare up back on the original arm of the sensor that was active and the one from two weeks earlier.

@Emmotha - no love for Libre from me either at the moment. My skin is still healing after more than a month free of Libre. I was double charged in January because they failed to take November's money and I didn't notice. I had at least half my sensors inaccurate and I have to decide whether to try again or ask for a refund on the 3 sensors I still have here. Disappointing is an understatement.

Smidge