Glynis1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cats, loud music and yoghurt
Hi

I am type 1 diagnosed over 48 years ago. Have generally been very well controlled - no complications to date BUT I have gained weight over last 10 years despite following low calorie diet (800 cals per day). I have recently started taking the bullet proof coffee and missing out breakfast but find I still need to take some short acting - 4 units as well as my long acting on rising. I eat salad and cheese or eggs for lunch and then a stir fry cooked in coconut oil in the evening. So carb wise I only eating minimal carbs BUT I am not losing weight - had initial loss of 10lbs in first week but then stayed static (2 weeks now). I read that maybe the high fat cheese and butter in the coffee might be the problem so switched to the Mediterranean diet but again no weight loss. I need to lose several stones (4) I am reasonably active (as much as full time employment allows). Any ideas or suggestions please. Sometimes it seems that I have maintained good blood sugars at the expense of my weight.

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.
Hello, I hope you get some helpful answers soon. I have been type one for thirty something years (since age 11, now 45 so 34 I suppose) and despite being a very active person(busy working life, two of a family, exercise classes several times a week, usually also at least one run too) have had very few periods in my life where I have not struggled with my weight. I was very interested to read your post as I had been considering trying LCHF. I am about half to one stone heavier than I wish to be but worry that it will increase with age and all those years of insulin. Rx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello
I am an overweight type 1. I lost 4kg earlier in the year on a low carb diet (it also needs to be relitively low fat in the weight loss phase so that you are still consuming less calories than you burn).
I was on 30g carbs a day, typically along the lines of:
Breakfast - bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes (6g)
Snack if needed - babybell cheddar
Lunch - stir fry, chicken and loads of veg. No noodles. Counted veg approx 8g carbs
Dinner - omlette pizza (ie omlette with ham, veg etc) 9g carbs and then 2 squares of lindt dark 90% 3g carbs

Reactions: 4 people