Artifical sweeteners

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to have sugar in my coffee but realised sugar is really bad. I then cut the amount of sugar in half. It took a while to get used to it and I made my coffee a bit weaker too. When I was fine with this I cut the sugar in half again and eventually stopped using sugar altogether. Now the thought of contaminating my coffee with sugar seems bizarre.

Over many years I've gone from taking 2 sugars, to 1 sugar, to half a tsp, a quarter tsp, and can't stand any more than that now. But I just cannot give it up completely!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I'm on day three of no sweeteners and it's so difficult. When will I get used to the bland sweet less taste
Took me about 2 weeks to get over it. Concentrate on the taste of the coffee or tea instead.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haven't drunk sweetened tea since I was a child, and also drink " normal" coffe black and unsweetened but when I treat myself to an espresso ir similar I go for xylitol.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone tried chai tea? I drink that with just a splash of milk, I've never taken sugar in it and it's gorgeous! I also drink green tea with lemon, or Jasmine green tea, no sugar needed in either of them, and very refreshing :)

Reactions: 2 people

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nope apparently not. The only one which is safe is stevia apparently. But u cannot seem to actually buy 100% pure stevia anywhere they all have added nastys. If anyone knows where I can get some please let me know

boron

I have read countless articles about all the different sweetener and I'm coming to the conclusion that xylitol is the healthier option. Anyone agree or suggest another. There's so many different views on all of them.

Xylitol is less harmful for the teeth than sugar. But xylitol in certain amounts can cause bloating and loose stools. Erythritol, which is another sugar alcohol (polyol), does not cause bloating and also has no calories.

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. I decided to go with one from Holland and Barrett. It's 100% stevia. .quite hard to come by. The ones in the supermarkets are all stevia mixed with other things. It's not as nice as canderel or spenda but it's better than having nothing and at least it's not got any bad side affects

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been T1 since October and used to have 3 sugars in coffee and tea, the coffee I now drink black and after getting used to it quiet like it! Tea however is different, still tastes MINGING without at least one sugar so I only have one as a treat.

I tried candarel, stevia and the tesco sweetner but they all taste kak :(

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm used to the taste of sweetener now. Like u I usually have my coffee black and it's bareable without sweetener but tea! That's a whole new story. Got to be sweet and milky have u tried spenda in the yellow box. U can get it in tesco if that's where u shop. I think it's the closest to real sugar. But not the tablets. Always go for the powdered versions. They taste much better. Don't ask me why lol

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Splenda is the best so far, I use it for Irish coffees :) still don't replace the sugar in tea for me though :(

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it says in there that stevia which is what I'm using now is the best option. I have cut right down and only have half a teaspoon in my tea and sometimes in coffee. It's the only sweet thing I have as I'm quite good with my diet. Everything I've read about stevia (100% stevia seems quite positive if sugars nor an option) I will try to completely cut sweetener out but for now.... stevia seems to be the answer

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm using xylitol, called Total Sweet, and it tastes good :)

"Total Sweet's only ingredient is pure natural xylitol
Found in fruits, vegetables and even our own bodies xylitol has several health benefits over sugar and artificial sweeteners, and tastes even better.
Suitable for dieters and those with diabetes"

Kes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Splenda is sucralose
Which chemically is Sugar where they have replaced a H atom with chloride which makes it 200 times sweeter than the sugar it came from.
Problem is it tricks the brain and makes you crave sugar even more. Most non natural sweeteners do.
Don't use Yellow (sucralose) sweeteners. One side effect is 'may cause diabetes'!

I use Stevia tablets from Tesco and Truvia when it is on offer (far too expensive). Use too much Truvia and it does have a metal side taste.
Use little and it is fine.
What I have found with stevia is that I don't crave sugar as much now. It seems to satisfy the need for sweetness unlike other sweeteners.
Still love sweets, chocolate, but sometimes I forget to sweeten and don't mind.

If you like sweet coffee, try "Camp" coffee with one Stevia. It is made from Chicory and has Inulin in it which is naturally sweet and very good for your gut flora.
You can buy Inulin at health shops online and use it as a sweetener. Only problem is it is also an insoluble fibre and if you increase amount you eat/drink too fast you will get gas problems and become constipated.

The food industry is starting to use Inulin instead of the dreaded 'Fructose Molasses Corn Syrup' that replaced plain sugar decades ago.

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I emailed always wondered a about that camp. Thought it must have lots sugar In it. What does it taste like

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Problem is it tricks the brain and makes you crave sugar even more. Most non natural sweeteners do.
Don't use Yellow (sucralose) sweeteners. One side effect is 'may cause diabetes'!

If you like sweet coffee, try "Camp" coffee with one Stevia.

You're joking! Does it say that on the packet?

And Camp, we used to have that as kids because it was cheaper than coffee. If you're a coffee lover you probably won't love Camp ;) And sugar appears to be the main ingredient!
Ingredients:
Sugar, Water, Chicory (26%), Coffee (4%)

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought camp was packed full of sugar. That's why I never bothered trying it. Think I will stick with stevia. .. only the 100% version! I wonder what it's like going into a supermarket and not having to worry about reading the labels on everything. Damm u diabetes!