Artifical sweeteners

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. I have been diabetic for about sixteen years type 1. I don't really have a sweet tooth apart from when it come to my tea and beloved coffee. I have about four teaspoons per cup. I know I know no need for the lecture. I have tried just having no sweeteners at all but it just tastes vile. Are there any suggestions for safe healthy sweeteners. I've tried things like cinnamon and nutmeg buy I'm sorry it doesn't cut it. I recently started using truvia as I thought it was a healthy option but it has had lots of bad reviews and plus it's doesn't really have the sweetness the others do and it tastes slightly metallic. Please help. I'm in desperate need of a sweet coffee!

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi everyone. I have been diabetic for about sixteen years type 1. I don't really have a sweet tooth apart from when it come to my tea and beloved coffee. I have about four teaspoons per cup. I know I know no need for the lecture. I have tried just having no sweeteners at all but it just tastes vile. Are there any suggestions for safe healthy sweeteners. I've tried things like cinnamon and nutmeg buy I'm sorry it doesn't cut it. I recently started using truvia as I thought it was a healthy option but it has had lots of bad reviews and plus it's doesn't really have the sweetness the others do and it tastes slightly metallic. Please help. I'm in desperate need of a sweet coffee!
Hi fallongerie, i love my coffee i tried all manner of sweetners but the only one i find works is saccarin tablets

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes but if you read about them they are SO bad for u. I was having so many sweetness in my coffee.... 4 spoons of canderel... 2 sweetex and 2 saccharin...In each cup!!! I've tried getting a few different flavored coffees today.tbere ok but still there's not that lovely sweetness.

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been reading about a lot of the different sweeteners and there's none which are actually safe and healthy.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Yes but if you read about them they are SO bad for u. I was having so many sweetness in my coffee.... 4 spoons of canderel... 2 sweetex and 2 saccharin...In each cup!!! I've tried getting a few different flavored coffees today.tbere ok but still there's not that lovely sweetness.
Hi fallongerie, the great dr r bernstein advises that of all the "sweetners" out there saccharin has been proven to be safe

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay thanks maybe I will just have them and try to cut down the amount. I tried to go cold turkey but it's just not going to happen. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms..I wonder if u can become addicted to these things.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Okay thanks maybe I will just have them and try to cut down the amount. I tried to go cold turkey but it's just not going to happen. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms..I wonder if u can become addicted to these things.
You might like to read his " diabetes explained 4 th edition he is himself a t1 and has been for the last 57 yrs

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Drink your coffee and tea without sweeteners, it may take some time to get use to them not having a sweet taste but you'll appreciate the flavour of the drink all the more once you adapt.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate tea without sweetener so I just drink fruit teas. I didn't like coffee without sweeteners either but now I'm addicted to the caffeine buzz, which I never had in my life until I went LCHF. Funny old world. I use xylitol occasionally, in cakes. There's a thread on here somewhere about xylitol and polyols which baffles me, but then I'm very scientific.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have sugar in my coffee but realised sugar is really bad. I then cut the amount of sugar in half. It took a while to get used to it and I made my coffee a bit weaker too. When I was fine with this I cut the sugar in half again and eventually stopped using sugar altogether. Now the thought of contaminating my coffee with sugar seems bizarre.

It might help to find a sweeter tasting/less bitter brand of tea or coffee.

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I'm on day three of no sweeteners and it's so difficult. When will I get used to the bland sweet less taste

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well I'm on day three of no sweeteners and it's so difficult. When will I get used to the bland sweet less taste

Day 3 without sweeteners ,thats very good. Soon it will get easier and then you will truly appreciate the real taste of coffee.

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Coffees getting easier but tea... that's a whole different story! I'm not one for all these green teas and flavoured teas. Just a good old pg tip. But without sweetener I can't even drink a sip.

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't really want cream as I'm trying to watch my weight. I'm already putting more milk than normal in

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have read countless articles about all the different sweetener and I'm coming to the conclusion that xylitol is the healthier option. Anyone agree or suggest another. There's so many different views on all of them.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi fallongerie, the great dr r bernstein advises that of all the "sweetners" out there saccharin has been proven to be safe

What about xylitol and erythritol, I thought they were the safe, and taste much better than saccharin?