FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

igmr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
These people have an investigation running about the advertising ... http://www.asa.org.uk/

Dead easy let them know your own views if you want, just fill in the on line form.

igmr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
They
How does one find that investigation?

I just filled in the complaint form and they told me that they'd launched an investigation. As far as I aware they have now invited involved parties to submit reports and have approached medical authorities for independent advice.

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Just did the compeed under layer-thing. Sensor went trough it and its scanning now. However I didn't point with full accuracy and a (very) small part on one side of the
sensor is directly attached to the skin..well if i would get skin reactions, in any case I will see if the Compeed has made a difference..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My test strip port is on the blink! I have to insert and reinsert about 5 times before it registers. Worrying.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My test strip port is on the blink! I have to insert and reinsert about 5 times before it registers. Worrying.
Raise it as an issue and get a new reader. Mine just stopped working, and they replaced it with no issues.

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had 2 readers do that but am still awaiting a 2nd replacement as they told me they had no readers in stock several weeks ago. They sent me a different meter in the mean time. I think there is a quality issue here and I have mentioned that to Abbott.

ali1k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi , I was one of the guinea pigs for the libre.....its fantastic, although the sensor kept falling off my arm when i was running, I stuck it on my hip and it worked fine. The big drawback is the price for the sensors, we need to campaign to get this on prescription.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi , I was one of the guinea pigs for the libre.....its fantastic, although the sensor kept falling off my arm when i was running, I stuck it on my hip and it worked fine. The big drawback is the price for the sensors, we need to campaign to get this on prescription.
How many sensors were you given to trial with? I've been using it for three months and have burned through 11 sensors due to performance issues.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well, the sensor I've been wearing most recently gave up today. I knew it wasn't positioned quite right, but after a day of constant 'LO' readings, I called Abbott when it finally lifted to much function properly.

To be fair, I was pleased to take it off because it was never very comfortable. I think I managed to get it to stick into my muscle, which I don't recommend. Anyhow, after removal, feeling around the site, it feels like there is a pea under the skin, and I have a mini Vesuvius there waiting to erupt. It feels massively like a big spot. I'm going to give it a few days and treat the skin with antibiotics, but I can't help but think that either I have scarred my triceps or introduced some sort of infection. I guess I'll find out next week, if it doesn't get better over the next two or three days.

Here are a few pics. It is most definitely not a reaction to the adhesive!

temporary_zps0dc6bab8.jpg

temporary_zpsc6b60021.jpg

finney

Raise it as an issue and get a new reader. Mine just stopped working, and they replaced it with no issues.
Tim. I have had one replacement Reader and that now has the same fault as the previous one. i.e the up button doesn't now work after about 6 weeks use. Abbott first said that as I was out of the country, even though they have all my purchase communications, they couldn't deal with it. I think it was a language issue by a junior as I pointed out I was on holiday and would like it delivered to my neighbour. after a few emails when I reiterated that I had spent 72 years living in UK and was just on holiday and could it be referred to a Line Manager, it is to be replaced hopefully on the day I return

The two sensors I have used in this holiday have worked well in lots of sea and pool swimming and have been invaluble

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh Tim that's bad! Could there be a contamination issue???
I mean is this number of reactions normal?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Emmotha, I have my suspicions as to what has happened here. I must stress it isn't a reaction to the adhesive. I strongly suspect that the insertion has inadvertantly gone through a hair follicle and the resulting lump and reaction is effectively an ingrown hair. As I said, difficult to tell, but the symptoms are incredibly similar.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If so, antibiotic cream would be good. Those can turn nasty.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That definitely looks like an infection under the skin, Tim. You might be right about having pushed a hair follicle under the skin. My very first sensor left a tiny raised lump, but I put that down to having removed it with the door frame. For a while I wondered if I'd managed to leave a piece of the flexible probe under the skin. That was the first week of November, and there is still a slight pimple-type mark there.

Have you got some antiseptic wipes or something? I'd just keep using those on it, but if your BG gets erratic go and see your doctor as you might need antibiotics if an infection has set in.

Smidge

iHs

I think first port of call is with a pharmacist who will be able to look and give the correct advice as to whether antibiotics should be used or whether the lump will reveal a head and then burst naturally. In the old days, boils were bathed with warmish salty water which encouraged the head to form and then burst. Yellow basilicon ointment was very popular and antibiotics were only used as a last resort. It is possible to purchase a mild antibiotic ointment from a pharmacist without a prescription so dont panic