Double Digits! Good or Evil!? >;)

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I try to stay clear of double digits even if the carbs I count would amount to me having to inject double digits mainly because if I do too many even if I need to it sends me low.

Reactions: 2 people

Andy_D85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But for me, single = good :happy: double = hmmm, not so good.:stop: :oops:

So if I may ask Robin - *WHY* does double digits = Hmm, not so good? For you anyway?

I'm not questioning wether they are or aren't to be clear, but that's a very sweeping statement. Some replies above had said it's down to weight gain, not feeling healthy on the diet that led to the regular high doses etc and other reasons, but stating "high doses = hmm not so good" without any supporting reasons confuses me tbh.

For example;
I try to stay clear of double digits even if the carbs I count would amount to me having to inject double digits mainly because if I do too many even if I need to it sends me low.

So Nicola M above has to my mind a 'logical' and thought out reasoning as to why she feels double dose digits are bad.

People, including yourself obviously, are well entitled to hold the view that double doses are bad'good/indifferent, and choose to avoid them or not at their own leisure, but given it's not a view I hold myself, and I can't find any hard medical reasons that suggest that opinion is a view I should hold myself, I'm just fascinated by how widely held that view is so I'm trying to understand it if that makes sense? It's not about changing minds, it's about seeing how things work =)

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm pretty much solid at 5g carbs to 1 unit of novorapid so most of my meals are double figure injections.

HeatherJoy_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im always injecting double digits of novorapid, im just an average sized 20year old female, but i eat enough food to need these units

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@Andy_D85 If you had asked " Hi RRB is there a reason why you prefer single digits, is it due to A, B or C ?" I am really interested etc............ I feel that might of come across a bit better :)
[ QUOTE="Robinredbreast, post: 776587, member: 44643"]Why would my answer be a sweeping one ? it is not, as it is me that is actually taking the amounts that what works for me.:wideyed: The more Insulin a person takes, can and does lead to weight gain. My weight has been very good and stable for decades, and now nearing towards the end of the 50's years, I am still active and trying to stay the same weight if possible.
You asked a question and I have answered, anything sweeping hasn't come from me.:eek: as I think after nearly 26 years of type 1, I should know what works for me or doesn't and single figures work better for me :) We are, after all, all different. I hope it is all clear now .

Regards RRB

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
One simple thing that seems to have been missed,more Insulin=more weight!

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
One simple thing that seems to have been missed,more Insulin=more weight!

I have just had a look at posts and I dont see anyone mentioning weight as their issue. I used to be around 8 1/2 stone for decades and now 9 stone, so not too bad, but it's my liking for cheese lately that I will have to cut down on :( but :cool: definitely have to cut back.:oops:

RRB

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I agree about the weight gain aspect as it is well known that insulin is a hormone which will over time if not monitored properly will and does play a big part in putting on weight. Also one of my big fears is that ever increasing doses of insulin may increase the chances of insulin resistance. If we become totally resistant where do we go from there? There is nothing other than injected or pumped insulin to keep us alive. So if our medication, being our insulin stopped working you can see where I'm coming from or have I got that all wrong? :confused:

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
My weight was very consistent about 8years when first diagnosed,many years ago,and I fell off the rails for about 5years and I was on stupid amounts of insulin,but I came to my senses.In that time I had put on over 4st and was becoming very insulin resistant but I managed to turn myself around and get back to normality and since then I have stayed on the straight and narrow. It is far from easy but I have done this,I am in my 52nd year of being type 1with only a couple of minor complications.The weight gain and insulin resistance is reversible.

Reactions: 3 people

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's good to know yingtong. I truly admire and respect anyone that has handled this wretched condition for so many years. I can see why you fell off the rails for a time. I've only been trying to cope with Type 1 for nearly 4 years and most days I feel I've had enough. Reading that you are still coping after 52 years is inspirational, thank you :cool::joyful:

desidiabulum

Putting the weight issue to one side, it seems to me that Smidge in her post answered the OP perfectly well in just four words

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That's good to know yingtong. I truly admire and respect anyone that has handled this wretched condition for so many years. I can see why you fell off the rails for a time. I've only been trying to cope with Type 1 for nearly 4 years and most days I feel I've had enough. Reading that you are still coping after 52 years is inspirational, thank you :cool::joyful:

Yes, it wonderful to read such an inspirational and positive post, I'm half of yingtongs many years, but hoping to reach half a century too :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My weight was very consistent about 8years when first diagnosed,many years ago,and I fell off the rails for about 5years and I was on stupid amounts of insulin,but I came to my senses.In that time I had put on over 4st and was becoming very insulin resistant but I managed to turn myself around and get back to normality and since then I have stayed on the straight and narrow. It is far from easy but I have done this,I am in my 52nd year of being type 1with only a couple of minor complications.The weight gain and insulin resistance is reversible.

A great post @yingtong , thank you :)

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have 1 unit of Novarapid per 15g of carbs, so I have on the odd carb binge done 10 to 12 units. No big deal for me, generally I eat around 100g of carbs a day so no big deal.

Reactions: 4 people