Pasta!

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How did u know my name was Fallon. Most people seem to think that my actual name is fallongerie! But that's a old nickname from years ago that's just kinda stuck with me

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
The Atkins pasta great too ,but more expensive but low carb

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just lazy tying, put Fallon for quickness, lucky guess ha ha!! I did my pasta to tonight and it was gorgeous.. But I do admit I used wholewheat pasta shells, but just used a v small amount, and more sauce. I had a nice green salad with it and giant cheesy mushroom from asda to fill me, well tasty

Reactions: 6 people

ClaireCissie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find this post interesting! I have never had or at least never noticed any problems with my BG after pasta! I recently bought wholemeal pasta which has less carbs due to the fibre content and once cooked you would never know the difference. You get it in all shapes too tagletelle fusilli and penne. Lidl do the little bows also. I don't know if this is something you would like to try? I do find rice a funny one though especially Chinese rice it takes so long to digest bg always spikes hours later. I've not been clever enough to work round this with any kind of split doses yet though.

However I am 3 weeks on the insulin pump and it's like a whole new learning experience again - just like being first diagnosed. I am noticing patterns that I haven't noticed before and am wondering if any other type 1s have had this experience and could give me advise. I wake up through the night with high bg and blood ketones between 0.1-0.3. This only happens when I eat something else after dinner and bolus for it. If I don't eat after dinner and go to bed with no active food/active insulin my bg remains steady through the night so I know my basal dose is correct. I haven't ruled out a hypo and that my high bg are as a result of a hypo rebound although I am lucky enough to have good hypo awareness and don't feel like I'm having a hypo between midnight and 3am (when my bg normally spikes). I spoke with my dsn yesterday and she also said she doesn't know that a hypo would always cause a high bg rebound and doesn't believe I'm having a hypo either. She had mentioned the type of snack I'm having may be causing this. For example a crime egg which is high in fat. I bolus for the chocolate but about 5 hours later once my novo rapid wears off I'm spiking high. Could my body's absorption rate of fatty foods really be that much slower than my absorption of insulin?

I am guessing if this is the case I will need to have a split dose but just wondering if anyone else has noticed this spike through the night after dinner and if there are any other possible causes other than I'm eating naughty food?