New lancet on every test???

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hi folks

I've been using a new lancet every time I test my BG. I'm getting through my prescribed box at an alarming rate. Can the lancets be used more than once? I'm wondering if one lancet can be used a couple of times, or one per day even. Just curious & wondering what other members do.

Ali. X

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi,alisonjane10, i reuse my lancet needles about 10 times each.after that they get a bit blunt.as long as your the only one using them eh.

Reactions: 2 people

Ollie88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband did the same to start, then someone put us right. Apparently you can use the same lancet until it becomes blunt and therefore uncomfortable. Be scrupulous with hand washing prior to testing and it should be fine.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My husband did the same to start, then someone put us right. Apparently you can use the same lancet until it becomes blunt and therefore uncomfortable. Be scrupulous with hand washing prior to testing and it should be fine.

Darn it!!! Lol. Better buy myself a back-up box. Another tip to add to my list. Thanks @Ollie88.
Ali. X

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hi Ali, I've been doing the same as you, a new lancet every time. Having read the previous threads, I'm going to be more economical and use one several times over. No wonder my sharps bin was filling up ! This forum is so helpful :joyful:

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
They are for single use only but whether you decide to reuse them again is up to yourself AlisonJane, I try and change mine every-time but don't always, however I always make a point of changing the lancet every morning before the first bg test (I'm type 1 and test multiple times a day).

Reactions: 3 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I use them at least 100 times and no problems at all. I have heard of people using them even more.

Reactions: 4 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Needles I try to change every time, lancets last for days with me though. I've never had any infection or other issues with doing that.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Ali, I've been doing the same as you, a new lancet every time. Having read the previous threads, I'm going to be more economical and use one several times over. No wonder my sharps bin was filling up ! This forum is so helpful :joyful:

Hi June

Yeah, I'm learning loads on this website. I honestly would feel completely alone & out of my depth without the forum. I wonder if my questions are considered dumb at times, but hey...it wouldn't be the first time I've been there! Lol. All the little tips make managing this condition/disorder/disease...whatever you wanna call it...a bit easier. Best wishes.

Ali. X

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
i tend to use them multiple times, More in a cleaner environment (home/office day) less or once in an outdoor/rural environment!

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I use them at least 100 times and no problems at all. I have heard of people using them even more.

Good grief!!! Lol. That's what I call economical. I honestly didn't realise that the lancets could be used so often. It's so interesting to know how other members manage their condition and the tips they have. Thanks Pasha.
Ali. X

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hi June

Yeah, I'm learning loads on this website. I honestly would feel completely alone & out of my depth without the forum. I wonder if my questions are considered dumb at times, but hey...it wouldn't be the first time I've been there! Lol. All the little tips make managing this condition/disorder/disease...whatever you wanna call it...a bit easier. Best wishes.

Ali. X
It's a pity you can't use the test strips several times, as I get through them at a fair rate of knots. I always feel guilty when ordering a repeat in less than a month. My prescription is for a 100 at a time.

Here's a question for @noblehead, You say you test multiple times a day. Does your GP mind your large order for test strips?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Here's a question for @noblehead, You say you test multiple times a day. Does your GP mind your large order for test strips?

As a type 1 he doesn't June, although my previous Dr did mention it at one point that I was testing too much and could reduce my testing down to 4 times a day, however I got my hospital consultant to write to him to say why type 1's need to test their bg levels multiple times a day, since then I've had no problems..................thankfully.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
That's good to know as I'm a type 1 as well. I'll try not to feel too guilty when I next put the repeat in. Btw. I love your cartoon character, do you really look like that? No need to answer my frivolous question :rolleyes:

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I have used 1 lancet for months but change needles every injection.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I change my lancet daily otherwise I get bruised fingers, I also change my needle daily at the same time.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I change lancets about once a fortnight - if I remember - which is about 50 tests for me.

Moniker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I forgot to order extra lancets when I ordered my CodeFree. I then mislaid the ten that came with the meter. I used one lancet for at least a hundred tests with no problem. When I found my extras and changed I didn't notice any difference at all. I just started a new tub of strips, so I guess I had better change the sharp bit again.