Blood Sugar in High 20's and GP not helping, please advise

scottie1

BG 15.4 before meal, BG 2 hours post 14.9.

I would just like to point out, that although my levels are high compared to the majority of members, there has been a huge reduction in my levels since I first posted. My BG was approx. 29. My weight loss has been low, 1 stone 15lb since I last visited the diabetic nurse in December, how much Ihave lost since low-carbing I am not sure but there has been some lost. But that does not mean that I am not taking it seriously and am cheating. I am not, there would be no point in kidding myself. I have nothing to gain by doing so. My eyesight has gradually got worse over the last 3 weeks, and even though I have visited the optician and had a new perscription, my eyesight has since been worse (less than a week) since I received my check up and new glasses. I am having trouble seeing anything without them.

Everybody is not the same, I have lived with diabetes for a number of years now but never taken it seriously enough. I think I have taken major steps with my diet and nobody will tell me otherwise. Yes, maybe a bigger reduction would be better, but considering I am eating less than 60g of carbs and 1200 calories a day this is a significent change for me. Before I found this forum (or should I say, first posted) I was eating a hell of of a lot of carbs and calories. I don't know what my BG readings were before I became ill and therefore low carbing because I just was not interested, so I have no idea how long they were so high.

I would ask that you consider these facts first, if judging me. Every step I make now is a positive one and I have no intention of not following this through. Small steps make a lasting change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
BG 15.4 before meal, BG 2 hours post 14.9.

I would just like to point out, that although my levels are high compared to the majority of members, there has been a huge reduction in my levels since I first posted. My BG was approx. 29. My weight loss has been low, 1 stone 15lb since I last visited the diabetic nurse in December, how much Ihave lost since low-carbing I am not sure but there has been some lost. But that does not mean that I am not taking it seriously and am cheating. I am not, there would be no point in kidding myself. I have nothing to gain by doing so. My eyesight has gradually got worse over the last 3 weeks, and even though I have visited the optician and had a new perscription, my eyesight has since been worse (less than a week) since I received my check up and new glasses. I am having trouble seeing anything without them.

Everybody is not the same, I have lived with diabetes for a number of years now but never taken it seriously enough. I think I have taken major steps with my diet and nobody will tell me otherwise. Yes, maybe a bigger reduction would be better, but considering I am eating less than 60g of carbs and 1200 calories a day this is a significent change for me. Before I found this forum (or should I say, first posted) I was eating a hell of of a lot of carbs and calories. I don't know what my BG readings were before I became ill and therefore low carbing because I just was not interested, so I have no idea how long they were so high.

I would ask that you consider these facts first, if judging me. Every step I make now is a positive one and I have no intention of not following this through. Small steps make a lasting change.
Scottie that's fantastic. As you say, it may look high to others but compared to your readings when I read your first posts this is a giant step! Huge pat on the back to you, proud of you :)

Reactions: 4 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Scottie your BS seem to be coming down slowly but surely and to have a reading that is lower after eating than before is a great achievement so well done. We are all different and react differently to carbs for example I can eat hot oat cereal with oat bran and full fat milk and only have a 1.5 rise after 2 hours. I can also eat bran flakes with no real affects. The only way to find out is by experimenting and you will be amazed at the variety of low carb foods that are out there. I probably eat more carbs than most forum members hence my weight loss is slower (about 1 - 2lbs per week) however my BS is still mostly in the 5s, occasionally 4s, with the odd blip when I eat something that I probably shouldn't have! Both you are muggle71 are doing well so persevere and you'll get there!

Reactions: 5 people

scottie1

Bg on waking 17.4. I am going to stop testing at fasting as this result seems to be normal now.

My eyesight is getting worse, even with my new glasses. From reading other threads I think I have lasting damage to my eyes.

I feel dizzy, light-headed and weak and I'm not sure if this is something to do with diabetes, or there is an underlying reason. Hubby thinks I am not eating enough but I am not too sure. I'm tired and want to sleep so much but can;t. Again not sure if this is related my diabetes or low-carbing. I have trouble sleeping normally, but it's worse at the moment.

I am wondering when I slept before was it because I was eating high carb food, and it felt heavy.

I know I said I wouldn't but I weighed myself this morning and it was the same result; 16 stone 10 pounds and in December I weighed 18 stone 8 pounds. I was 17 stone 7 ilbs something when I weighed myself the first week of low carbing. I am getting cross, amd I don't understand why it's not falling off me, like it is for other members. It's like a kick in the stomach to be honest. Not that I am upset about other members weight loss, I think it's great and they deserve lots of praise. Just don't know why it's not when I am trying so hard. It would be easy to give up, but I have no intention of doing so, I am in it for the long haul.

scottie1

I meant since I started low-carbing, sorry that wasn't clear. I haven't lost a lot since then and seem to be stuck at this weight.
It's very frustrating as I am follwing the guidelines as advised. I also don't feel like I have lost weight, my body feels the same.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Scottie, Are you on any medication for your diabetes? I think you have been very brave posting on the site when your sugars are so high. I rarely post on here now simply because when I have done because of bg being very high, I have been knocked down by certain members and not supported. My sugars have been running high for over a year now and I am on oral meds and insulin!!

You mentioned about sleeping a lot, I think that can be due to your sugars running high. You also asked if one slice of toast keeps you full - it is not the carbs that keep you full but the fat. I have spent 40 years struggling with my weight and it is very difficult to get your head around low carb. Recently hubby and I have started a version of the 5:2 diet - we have been doing 16:8 which means we eat at lunchtime and evening meal so we have cut breakfast out. I have been having 2 eggs mixed with a banana and fried in a pan served with cream - I know the banana is carbs but I enjoy it and am also trying to cope with IBS and bananas are good for that.

I have enjoyed reading this thread so keep it going.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
P.S. You may not be eating enough Scottie and that can stop you losing weight - I know that sounds like a contradiction but it is true!!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You also may not be drinking enough water. To me the weight is falling off you because I have lost only 2 stones 10 lbs in 11 months. Concentrate on your BG's for now they are more important than the weight. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I meant since I started low-carbing, sorry that wasn't clear. I haven't lost a lot since then and seem to be stuck at this weight.
It's very frustrating as I am follwing the guidelines as advised. I also don't feel like I have lost weight, my body feels the same.
Good day scottie, the most import thing is your overall wellbeing,good sleep is vital, even without diabetes lack of sleep is devastating! You need to go see your doctor and discuss a solution,
I know its easier said than done , but try not to focus on your weight,just your bs's controls.as a busy mother with responsibilities it cannot be easy , so please relax a bit you are doing well.

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Scottie,

Eventually once your body recovers from the shock of the LCHF diet, you will see your fasting results start to lower. They seem to be the hardest bit to lower - its something that has been a problem for me.

Also I am not sure if it helps - but I am also struggling to loose weight. I've lost around 18lbs since October but now the weight loss has stopped. I find this upsetting and annoying but the most important thing is I've been able to get my BS's a lot lower than I ever expected. Its been hard and at times I have struggled, but hopefully this will be enough to stop any further complications and I am hoping eventually the weightloss will start up again. As Jude said, you need to make sure you are eating enough calories for you - too little is as bad as too much. If you put all your details into myfitnesspal - they can work out how many calories you should be having and if you track your food as well - you will be able to look back and see what works and what doesn't.

I know you have struggled with your doctor, but Clive is right, you really need to go see one and get help and support from them. It would be much better for you to get a little medical help as the medication they can offer will help you to lower your BS levels quicker and get your body working correctly again. They will also send you for a special eye test that will rule out any damage done to your eyes and they will check your feet as well.

You are doing amazing well - and you sound so much more confident so well done.

Reactions: 3 people

scottie1

Hi Scottie, Are you on any medication for your diabetes? I think you have been very brave posting on the site when your sugars are so high. I rarely post on here now simply because when I have done because of bg being very high, I have been knocked down by certain members and not supported. My sugars have been running high for over a year now and I am on oral meds and insulin!!

You mentioned about sleeping a lot, I think that can be due to your sugars running high. You also asked if one slice of toast keeps you full - it is not the carbs that keep you full but the fat. I have spent 40 years struggling with my weight and it is very difficult to get your head around low carb. Recently hubby and I have started a version of the 5:2 diet - we have been doing 16:8 which means we eat at lunchtime and evening meal so we have cut breakfast out. I have been having 2 eggs mixed with a banana and fried in a pan served with cream - I know the banana is carbs but I enjoy it and am also trying to cope with IBS and bananas are good for that.

I have enjoyed reading this thread so keep it going.

Hello

Yes I am on Metformin and Glicloside, the doctore has upped my dose of Glicloside to 160mg twice daily. I take 2000mg SR Metformin.

I am not sleeping at all, I'm sorry that was not clear. Before I was LCHF I was sleeping a lot, so unsure if LCHF is making me not sleep.

I find it hard to eat a lot of fat, and am still searching for meal ideas, apart from omelette and bacon and eggs. There is not a lot I like, most meals have spuds or pasta that I like. But I am managing, just repeating the same meals.

Thank you for taking the time to post, it's lovely to 'meet' you.

scottie1

You also may not be drinking enough water. To me the weight is falling off you because I have lost only 2 stones 10 lbs in 11 months. Concentrate on your BG's for now they are more important than the weight. :)

Will do, thank you.

scottie1

Good day scottie, the most import thing is your overall wellbeing,good sleep is vital, even without diabetes lack of sleep is devastating! You need to go see your doctor and discuss a solution,
I know its easier said than done , but try not to focus on your weight,just your bs's controls.as a busy mother with responsibilities it cannot be easy , so please relax a bit you are doing well.

Good afternoon Clive

I take sleeping tablets as prescribed by the GP, but are just not working at the moment.

BG befor lunch was 15.4, 2 hours later it is 19.8, I have eaten the same as yesterday and I got better results, so am at a loss.

I think I will stay off the scales for the short-term as it's just depressing me and therefore making me cry. I'm not feeling great as it is so I don't want to make it worse. Have tears in my eyes as we speak, I can't believe the support I have.

Hope you are well. x

scottie1

Hi Scottie,

Eventually once your body recovers from the shock of the LCHF diet, you will see your fasting results start to lower. They seem to be the hardest bit to lower - its something that has been a problem for me.

Also I am not sure if it helps - but I am also struggling to loose weight. I've lost around 18lbs since October but now the weight loss has stopped. I find this upsetting and annoying but the most important thing is I've been able to get my BS's a lot lower than I ever expected. Its been hard and at times I have struggled, but hopefully this will be enough to stop any further complications and I am hoping eventually the weightloss will start up again. As Jude said, you need to make sure you are eating enough calories for you - too little is as bad as too much. If you put all your details into myfitnesspal - they can work out how many calories you should be having and if you track your food as well - you will be able to look back and see what works and what doesn't.

I know you have struggled with your doctor, but Clive is right, you really need to go see one and get help and support from them. It would be much better for you to get a little medical help as the medication they can offer will help you to lower your BS levels quicker and get your body working correctly again. They will also send you for a special eye test that will rule out any damage done to your eyes and they will check your feet as well.

You are doing amazing well - and you sound so much more confident so well done.

Hello Kezza

I'm sorry to hear you have found it difficult to loose weight but 18lbs is a great achievement, well done!

How long was it after starting LCHF that your BG reduced? Mine has reduced somewhat but not enough and I have been doing it over 3 weeks I think.

I am not eating the full amount of calories that My Fitness Pal advised, they said 1200 and I am eating approx. 750-800, so maybe that's something I need to look at. I imagined eating less would help but it doesn't seem to be doing. Though I am strugglying to find foods that have the right amount of calories.

Thank you for posting, hope to see you around.

scottie1

BG has come down to 16.4, pre meal, so that's good but still too high. Having a bacon omelette for dinner so I shouldn't imagine it will rise a great deal in 2 hours.

Edit, omelette was too salty so couldn't eat it.

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Scottie,
Glad your still around.
Keep the boxing gloves on. I do like it when you hit back. ( re that other post )

The omelette too salty, that would have been the bacon.

I don't eat meat, and I don't like omelettes.

We are going to have a quorn roast, with roasted swede, and roasted celeriac. Plus some cauliflower.
Will it push my bs up, probably.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi Scottie,
Glad your still around.
Keep the boxing gloves on. I do like it when you hit back. ( re that other post )

The omelette too salty, that would have been the bacon.

I don't eat meat, and I don't like omelettes.

We are going to have a quorn roast, with roasted swede, and roasted celeriac. Plus some cauliflower.
Will it push my bs up, probably.
Hi milliesue, did you see the thread re: quarn on here yesterday?

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi milliesue, did you see the thread re: quarn on here yesterday?

Hi Clive,
I think I have found the thread. Is it smeone had a reaction to quorn.
I'm ok with quorn. The thing I have to watch out for is the as antibiotic, trimethoprim. I have had tests at Salford hospital with various antibiotics. Results trimethoprim is dangerous for me.

Also, not related to the above, but. If I peel any starchy veg I have t have gloves on, because it burns my hands. As I have said in another post. We are all different.

Hope your not so sore Clive.
Thanks for the heads up.
Dinners ready, must go.