Milk?

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Lactofree milk has around half the carbs as standard milk.

I drink full fat Lactofree milk, 100ml (2.2grms carbs) in the morning with my coffee.

Thanks guys, but unfortunately all of the brands of lactose free milk available locally to me have exactly the same carbs as regular milk (I've checked).

It appears that there must be two types of "lactose free" milk. Those that actually remove the lactose (or at least some of the monosaccharides that it breaks into) and those that simply add an enzyme (lactase) to break down the lactose (into its glucose and galactose monosaccharides).

Unfortunately all of the "lactose free" varieties available to me here are the latter type. :( They actually taste sweeter than regular milk because the lactose is already broken down into simpler sugars, but they're exactly the same total carbs.

So just a "heads up" for anyone thinking about lactose free milk. Don't just assume that because it says "lactose free" that it's really less carbs. Always check the nutritional label.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to mehhh2015 and noblehead I now know that reduced carb should be available. And 2.2g/100mL sounds good to me, so I will search a bit wider and see if I can find a source.

I'm not all that confident though, as I have looked into this before. You know there's about a dozen different varieties of low fat milk at "my" supermarket, but not even one low carb variety. o_O

At this point I think I'm probably going to have to make my own. Here is my proposed recipe (for approx one day's supply).

- One heaped (or two level) desert spoon(s) of unsweetened whey protein.
- 300 mL water
- 300 mL regular milk
- 100 mL cream.

I'm going to mix that up tomorrow and see how it tastes. I've just got to buy the whey protein, so I'll update here after I've tested it. :)

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I only have it in 1 cup of tea a day (just a dash) as I drink black coffee & green tea too.

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What does unsweetened almond milk taste like? I use skimmed at the moment

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Milk spikes me so I have cream in tea and coffee which doesn't seem to do anything to my bg. X

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive been having blue milk in tea and coffee. Trying to man up and get through it. I really only like green milk. Tried cream and cant handle that..*sigh*

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
What does unsweetened almond milk taste like? I use skimmed at the moment
Quite pleasant slightly nutty, my other half makes her porridge with it and puts it on her breakfast cereal she prefers it to real milk. I use it to make the green smoothies I sometimes have for breakfast.

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Normal blue top. Its the low carb high fat diet.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
It's disgusting stuff!
As a kid I was milk monitor for a while around the ages of ten and eleven.
We had to bring the milk in that had been sat in the glare of blazing hot sunshine .... need I say more?
Put me off for life.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Milk does contain a lot of carbs in the form of lactose. A 200ml glass of semi-skimmed milk contains 9.7g of carbs - the same carbs as in about one and a half teaspoons of granulated sugar.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love you, always tells it like it is. You are the man!!!! :D Your handle should have been 'bushman' cos you don't beat around it.

Uh, and on this occasion he was mistaken.

Edit - absolutely sorry, as you pointed out, I was mistaken and assumed the question was about how much carbs were in milk.

Last edited by a moderator:

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's disgusting stuff!
As a kid I was milk monitor for a while around the ages of ten and eleven.
We had to bring the milk in that had been sat in the glare of blazing hot sunshine .... need I say more?
Put me off for life.

Yup - school days in the 70s cured me of any tendency to like milk :) However, I love all kinds of cheese and am warming to cream, especially in cooking. Cheese is mostly low carb because the lactose is used up in the cheese fermentation process :)

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I gave up milk earlier in January and started drinking my coffee black. I saw a simultaneous improvement in my BS levels and they really settled down.

The problem I see with milk in drinks is you're having them all day so you're constantly putting carbs into your system rather than just at mealtimes :)

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
cream, even watered down cream and use it as milk [they homogenise here, so it mixes well]

Good tip; single cream, for example, has a lot less carbs/100g than milk and even less of course when diluted.