Huge carb meal with pump

Alison204

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey everyone, what do people do who have a pump if they're having a meal that involves huge amounts of carbs... I'm talking pizza, potato wedges, garlic bread (this is NOT a usual meal btw!) ie over 100g carbs!

I remember my pump nurse saying something about splitting the amount of insulin so you can give half now and half later or something like that but as I've only had my pump a short while I haven't learned that yet.

Just wondering if other people have come across this themselves?

Thanks
Alison

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I just whack on a tbr of 200% for 5 up to 8 hours...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A TBR as Donnelydogs suggests or use the Extended Bolus feature, I'm new to pumping so still figuring it all out myself.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
If you do not usually eat this amount of high carbs it will actually throw your bolus/basal ratio out. If you extend or multiwave you are not accounting for the fact that your basal rate is temporarily thrown out of sync. The only way to avoid this is to do a TBR....
Extending or multiwaving does not actually tske in to account that for a one off binge your basal/bolus ratio is thrown out of sync.
If you were eating this daily then you would account for it in a differentt way.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find having a huge Carb bolus always needs a bigger Carb bolus than expected. If I have more than 100-120 G, I add in an extra 10-20 "pretend" Carbs. This is best given at the start of the bolus. A split bolus can be helpful too - at least 30 mins. I also find early bolusing, before a big meal gives you a chance to get some insulin on board for the onslaught!!
I used a CGM for a month and this regime definitely seemed to be the best.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Not sure about a tbr of 200%? On the Combo, it seemed necessary but on the Vibe, definately no. I would go very hypo

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not sure about a tbr of 200%? On the Combo, it seemed necessary but on the Vibe, definately no. I would go very hypo

Always for takeaways or meals out but one meal alone us the effect of eating 3 times my daily amount of carbs, so it effectively throws my basal/bolus ratio out totally....

We are all individuals so on a pump especially we have to consider the manyfacturer and our own lifestyles too.

iHs

Always for takeaways or meals out but one meal alone us the effect of eating 3 times my daily amount of carbs, so it effectively throws my basal/bolus ratio out totally....

We are all individuals so on a pump especially we have to consider the manyfacturer and our own lifestyles too.

I think if you were using the Vibe, it would be a different kettle of fish for you lol

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I think if you were using the Vibe, it would be a different kettle of fish for you lol

Don't know...I think its because I eat so few carbs daily and no potatoes, bread, pasta or anything that it probably impacts more. My digestive system although superb again now... It really slows down with bread and certainly chips which means its taking longer to breakdown in some ways than others will experience.. Again. All individual.

iHs

On the Combo, I too needed to use a much higher TBR like 150 to 200% esp if bg levels had gone up the spout and I needed to find out what was the cause. On the Vibe, may be its because of the way the pump delivers the insulin being 0.000 and not 0.00, then the basal is much easier to address and the highest TBR Ive needed to use is 130%. If I used 200%, I would be going very hypo.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
On the Combo, I too needed to use a much higher TBR like 150 to 200% esp if bg levels had gone up the spout and I needed to find out what was the cause. On the Vibe, may be its because of the way the pump delivers the insulin being 0.000 and not 0.00, then the basal is much easier to address and the highest TBR Ive needed to use is 130%. If I used 200%, I would be going very hypo.

The Omnipod just goes up to 95%, is this unusual for a pump?

iHs

The Omnipod just goes up to 95%, is this unusual for a pump?

Not used a tubeless pump so not sure but thinking about this from this view point, is that the Omnipod hasnt got a tube, it just delivers the insulin directly into the cannula so insulin gets delivered quicker as opposed to relying on a piston in a pump to push insulin through tubes that are of different lengths.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When we say 200% that is actually only 100% extra going through. Insight goes up to 250% but 100% of that is the normal rate.
Perhaps omnipod terminology is different in the fact that 90% is actually being delivered on top of the normal 100% delivery?
On Insight 90% means it is delivering only 90% of the 100% dosage....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When we say 200% that is actually only 100% extra going through. Insight goes up to 250% but 100% of that is the normal rate.
Perhaps omnipod terminology is different in the fact that 90% is actually being delivered on top of the normal 100% delivery?
On Insight 90% means it is delivering only 90% of the 100% dosage....

Yes get that DD, but when I seen figures like 250% I was wondering why some go up as high and others don't.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes get that DD, but when I seen figures like 250% I was wondering why some go up as high and others don't.

Not got a clue!! I couldn't cope with 90% on my rare overloads of carbs!! Something that monopod rep or manufacturer may be able to answer....??

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Gosh, thinking about a pump but using Novopen just inject more. Is using a pump more difficult?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Gosh, thinking about a pump but using Novopen just inject more. Is using a pump more difficult?

A pump is more difficult in some aspects but life is made easier in other aspects.

Everything on a pump has to be programmed by the person that wears & uses it. You get help initially. So that is more time consuming initially but not really difficult.

Easier part is when programmed right your levels stay pretty good and when eating you can find ways to keep your levels pretty flat lined.although you still have to get a remote out to eat, it is hugely nicer forsome reason than an injection.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A pump is more difficult in some aspects but life is made easier in other aspects.

Everything on a pump has to be programmed by the person that wears & uses it. You get help initially. So that is more time consuming initially but not really difficult.

Easier part is when programmed right your levels stay pretty good and when eating you can find ways to keep your levels pretty flat lined.although you still have to get a remote out to eat, it is hugely nicer forsome reason than an injection.

Thanks that's helpful.