Diabetes reversal - reversed. Weight back on.

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
Here is where I sheepishly confess to having lost 28 pounds in about a month (January) following the Newcastle Diet (and there have been a number of discussions about how hard this diet is to follow - it is very hard) only to have lost my motivation, will, stamina, capacity, whatever...control...and I've put virtually all of it back on. Okay, so maybe 20 pounds of it. But, by god, what a misery that extra 20 pounds is!! I feel awful. Worse, my morale has taken a beating, and I've felt really sad since I've 'watched' myself lose this battle (thus far) with 'diabetes reversal'.

Then again, I had my A1C tests done two weeks after I started the downhill slide back to binging like MAD on sugary foods - I do not understand my own psyche here, honestly - and the last result in February was 37, down from 42. Basically, my doctor said I'm in the non-diabetic range. But that is WITH metformin - or while taking 1000 mg/day of it.

How does one even begin to interpret results like this? In fact, before I had the test, my doctor had told me I was in the borderline diabetic range.

Meanwhile, I am having some serious foot problems this week - cropped up VERY fast and I can guess it's related to the weight re-gain. Or maybe it's not. Maybe it's neuropathy. Whatever the hell it is, it is upsetting. Some days I honestly just cannot cope and today is one of them. I'm sitting here crying, thinking about this and thinking: just one more step, and one step at a time, again. Again and again. Because there is no other real option, really.

Thanks for listening.

MM

Reactions: 2 people

Marggie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wished I could give you some advice but like you I have only just been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I feel for you and there must be someone who can help you. Try not to give up :)

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Here is where I sheepishly confess to having lost 28 pounds in about a month (January) following the Newcastle Diet (and there have been a number of discussions about how hard this diet is to follow - it is very hard) only to have lost my motivation, will, stamina, capacity, whatever...control...and I've put virtually all of it back on. Okay, so maybe 20 pounds of it. But, by god, what a misery that extra 20 pounds is!! I feel awful. Worse, my morale has taken a beating, and I've felt really sad since I've 'watched' myself lose this battle (thus far) with 'diabetes reversal'.

Then again, I had my A1C tests done two weeks after I started the downhill slide back to binging like MAD on sugary foods - I do not understand my own psyche here, honestly - and the last result in February was 37, down from 42. Basically, my doctor said I'm in the non-diabetic range. But that is WITH metformin - or while taking 1000 mg/day of it.

How does one even begin to interpret results like this? In fact, before I had the test, my doctor had told me I was in the borderline diabetic range.

Meanwhile, I am having some serious foot problems this week - cropped up VERY fast and I can guess it's related to the weight re-gain. Or maybe it's not. Maybe it's neuropathy. Whatever the hell it is, it is upsetting. Some days I honestly just cannot cope and today is one of them. I'm sitting here crying, thinking about this and thinking: just one more step, and one step at a time, again. Again and again. Because there is no other real option, really.

Thanks for listening.

MM
Hello mm,pleasenote when we were babies learning to walk if we fell over we soon got back up and mum or dad dried our tears and helped us back on our feet ! Never ever forget you are not alone in this and you will get up and do better next time,please start to regain your control of your bs's .and you will overcome this setback ,i have been watching with interest your posts re nc diet and think you very brave,you have my respect and admiration ,so ! ((((( hugs))))) to you and please do not think for one minute of giving up!!!!

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry to hear your going through this, maby the diet was just too hard to follow. I have controlled my BS by doing the low carb high fat diet .. It has taken me a year to lose 5st and my bloods according to my meter are in a good non DB range. its a slower weight loss that the Newcastle diet and I take my hat off to you for getting the results you did with it.
Don't give up .. Tomorrow is a new day ... A new start of your control ... Hope your feeling better soon and your foot problem sorts it's self out quickley.

Reactions: 8 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. It's hard to keep to certain diets but the low carb higher fat seems to be the best way for weight & glucose control, it's something that can be on going. Maybe give it ago & see how you get on.
Everything happens for a reason so failing the ND diet maybe natures way of saying it's not for you.
Chin up & march on you will find what works for you.

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sounds like someone ate carbs? you maybe on low carb for life, because nothing has changed regarding your carb trigger level and weight gain

From the @Southport GP who posts here
http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/SpringboardWebApp/userfiles/espdi/file/March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf

it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm

how much carb
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm

Reactions: 6 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It must be awful for this to have happened when you've tried so hard, but it is worth trying again, though maybe in a much easier way with the low carb diet as @Paul59 and @jack412 have suggested. But it's something you may need to keep to if you want to to maintain any weight loss.

I remember trying a very low calorie diet many years ago - it was a nightmare to keep to as I was so hungry all the time and my weight went back on after I finished dieting. It put me off trying again until recently when I was diagnosed as diabetic! However, I've kept the weight off for nearly a year now on my LCHF diet, though I do still need to lose some more.:( It's a good and varied diet and I eat well and rarely feel hungry or the need to snack.

Robbity

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
Hi, everyone.

Thank you so much for just...understanding...and for the encouragement to keep going. I feel this deep shame inside about being in this 'state', and know fundamentally I'm just going to have to keep going to goal. It's hard to admit to 'failure', but that old adage it's only failure when you give up has to be right. I feel better just knowing there is somewhere to talk about this, safely, with a group of understanding people. I am building my resolve again, and confess to confusion about how to manage high cholesterol numbers - actually, VERY high - 6.5 to reduce blood sugar and reverse T2D. I'm perplexed. I really am. Is it all the sugar causing the supremely high cholesterol? I'm at 223 pounds and my BMI must be around 35 or something.

Time to start again. But differently.

MM

Reactions: 9 people

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Hi MM, I think pretty much everyone on this forum would agree that we all have 'blips' from time to time (some bigger than others) where we lose control and fall off the wagon. The important thing is getting back on. In Jenny Rhul's book 'Bloodsugar 101: Low Carb Diets' she states 'the best diet for you is the one you can stay on for life'. So true ..... and something like The Newcastle Diet is very strict and no doubt you have experienced rebound bingeing from feeling so deprived. I reckon a reduced/low carb diet would help as it will get those blood sugars more stable and prevent the sugar cravings. It is certainly helping me .. I am not super low carb, I don't count but would say around 80g per day as I like to include fruit and eats lots of veg. Never thought I could live life without bread (never was a fan of rice or pasta) but it's surprising what you can live without once you get going. Good luck!

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The lchf will help with the cholestrol as well as the other things. Give it a go, you have nothing to lose by it except weight, haha.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I didnt do the crash course Newcastle diet but rather did it slowly via the LCHF way of eating and in a manner that I could sustain. It took a bit over 2 years, I lost over 40 Kg and now have very good FBG results. My point is that we can arrive at the same destination from different directions and different speeds, we just need to remain focused. Falling off the wagon can happen to anybody, so you do whats needed ie just get back on the wagon and readjust your focus. All the best for getting back on the wagon and regaining your resolve.

Reactions: 15 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, everyone.

Thank you so much for just...understanding...and for the encouragement to keep going. I feel this deep shame inside about being in this 'state', and know fundamentally I'm just going to have to keep going to goal. It's hard to admit to 'failure', but that old adage it's only failure when you give up has to be right. I feel better just knowing there is somewhere to talk about this, safely, with a group of understanding people. I am building my resolve again, and confess to confusion about how to manage high cholesterol numbers - actually, VERY high - 6.5 to reduce blood sugar and reverse T2D. I'm perplexed. I really am. Is it all the sugar causing the supremely high cholesterol? I'm at 223 pounds and my BMI must be around 35 or something.

MM
I am following the LCHF way of eating .. My cholestral levels have reduced do this diet .. Something I was not expecting ! I have a year into this diet got more energy.. Steady sugar levels and as I eat to my meter I am slowly adding a few more carbs into my diet now without raising my sugar levels. So low carb .. I set mine at 30g a day .... Count the full carb amouts not just the sugar in the carbs .. So out with most fruit .. Only berrys .. Only one slice of bread a day .... Lots of leaf veg .. But I am a vegetarian.. The high fat part is just ditching my low fat items and replacing them with the full fat foods .. It's doable .. Needs a bit of planning .. But I leave that to the wife. She is in the kitchen with scales and a calculator most days! The low carb part won't work without the full fat bit

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
I feel greatly encouraged by all of these comments. Thank you. Will give the LCHF a go.

Reactions: 7 people

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi MM

Good for you. I'm sure many of us lost weight and put it on again.

If you were low carb on Newcastle, and going now onto lchf, but have maybe eaten more carbs in between, you could well find some of those regained pounds drop off very quickly...something to do with glycogen releasing water from our bodies when changing to low carb eating, which would be a bit of a boost. I lost around 5 lbs in first week or so (then slowed down but it was a nice start!)

All the best and take care.

D

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, everyone.

MM

I was very happy with LCHF and lost 13kg and got my BG back to normal
a couple of things..losing weight can throw your cholesterol out
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/06/i-lost-weight-and-my-cholesterol-went-up/
and 'sugar' is bad for triglycerides and this will take you through your blood test results
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BFRi-nH1v8

and this is an into to LCHF
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkQYZ6FbsmI

Reactions: memememeiii

Katiesgran

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't beat yourself up. We are our own worst critics and like you I have gone through spells of feeling a failure when I just can't seem to get it right. but as others have said you are not alone in this and we just have to do the best we can and celebrate our successes. I have been low carving for only a few weeks, have lost weight, managed to come off gliclazide and aiming to reduce metformin with doctors approval. This is first time I have really taken control of this horrible disease instead of feeling sorry for myself and I have been more positive as I have seen the results. Maybe one day there will be agreement among the professionals on how to beat this but in the meantime this is a great resource for all of us to learn from others.
Keep up the good work and you will win

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Please take your foot issues as a serious wakeup call. I have some peripheral neuropathy in my feet and it is hellish, and it isn't even all that advanced. You absolutely DO NOT want yours (if that's what it is) to progress.

I would recommend that rather than going back on the Newcastle Diet rollercoaster that you've been on, you try to eat a healthy, whole food low carb high fat diet as many have suggested above. Many have been successful with the ND, but it's what happens after you stop the ND that is the crux (in my humble opinion).

Most importantly don't let this set back discourage you from fighting the good fight. You may have lost a battle but you are still around to fight and you can win the war.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
By the way I don't agree with having to go high fat. I have been on low carb low fat lots of veg and this works for me but we are all different in what works for us
I'm glad it's working for you, but it isn't recommended long term

"Dr Eric C. Westman, MD and president elect of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians, has 15 years of experience helping patients lose weight and improve their health using low carb. He has also helped do several high-quality scientific studies on low carb."
" Don't do low carb low fat " @4.00 minutes in to video

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks for listening.

MM

OK. So you hit a bump in the road? It's no great disaster. If this condition was easy to handle, and understand, none of us would be here. We'd just get on with it, and skip off into the sunset with our perfect scores and fabulously fit and toned bodies. Unfortunately, it's not like that.

I've written quite a lot about how I might have tackled my early days, had I known about the ND, and every time I think it through, I come up with a slightly different approach to myself. It strikes me as being a hard, hard regime to follow it. Great if you can, but Prof Taylor openly States itanot or every. Not everyone can do it for lots of reasons.

But, I would suggest now is an opportunity for you to take personal stock. What you have proven is that by dropping some weight, and defeating your organs you can improve your general health, including your diabetes and weight, so please do take that as a positive. If you have regained a proportion of the weight you. Have lost, don't lose heart. Not all of it will be fat. Carbs encourage a bit of fluid retention, which is why we lose quickly, when we reduce them, so some of that gain will have been fluid.

I might suggest you perhaps create an environment where you can get your head around forgiving yourself for the hiccough you have suffered. It's not the end of the world, and in a few months time, you'll look back and think, "oh yeah. I remember that happening." Beating yourself up doesn't positively impact on anything.

If you could make a bit of a contract with yourself to get on the straight and narrow for each day of a week or so, you will undoubtedly feel better. I don't mean the and, I mean eating sensibly; reducing your carbs, but not being hungry. No need to increase fats, unless you are hungry, but no reduced fat foods, for sure. Just not punishing your body will make you feel better. Moto go from a starvation regime to binging like mad ( your phrase?) can't have been easy for your body to handle. It's a bit like abstaining from alcohol, then going out on a bender. Everything affects you more, and they a governs are usually worse, AND the only thing that feels like it'll make you feel better, is more of the same. Carbs are addictive.

It might be gentler on your system to think of the long game, rather than the short, sharp shock. My stats are in my signature. I merely reduced carbs, and only upped the fats once I needed to stop the weight loss. Prof Taylor States it is the weight loss that is important - to below the Personal Fat Threshold PFT), rather than how rapidly, or the method the wait is dropped. That lifestyle got me into the habit of eating sensibly, for a diabetic person, and educated me in new foods and tastes along the way. I wasn't on any countdown, nor did I have big challenges at the end of "what the heck doieatnow? Pass the create egg!" I just plodded on and added a bit more food and some fats at the end.

It's atoughhie. But one thing you do have to do is get your foot looked at. Don't ignore anything. Ifthee re is no cause for concern you will be reassured, and if there's something to be done, it'll be noted early.

Good luck with it all. Keep posting, becuause you know you'll be supported, whatever you decide to do.

Reactions: memememeiii