symptoms when high?

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else not have any?

Just clocked in my highest result yet...17.5 and I don't feel any different at all.

After getting everything as I wanted it they have been awful the past few weeks

Mozzapozza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always find that I'm really thirsty like literally even if drank a pint of water I'll still be thirsty & I can taste pear drops.. You know the sweets? That taste

Fi2000

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a high of 23.4 at the end of Mar, felt very thirsty an sluggish.
This prompted me to start the lchf diet

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don't have any symptoms either, I've been at 30 and felt no different!

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Honestly felt fine, not thirsty at all. Just drunk a lot of water though to try and lower it but im still at 13.2.

Should I try to take some novo to lower it? If so, how much does 1 unit bring Your levels down? I've never tried it without food and was told not to do it until I went on the dafne course.

Mozzapozza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
See I'm on an insulin pump so it's different for me.. But I hope you get sorted out :)

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I personally get very thirsty, and dry eyes. You may be having a spike. It catches me out if I have a fatty meal which takes longer for my Novorapid to work on, sometimes 4-5 hours after I took my Novorapid and eaten the meal, I am high then. If you drink water, wait and test in an hour you may find its lower, as long as you got your carb ratio for your meal correct. What did you eat for tea and what time?

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The hyper symptoms are not reliable for me. Sometimes I feel them, other times I don't. Other times it's only after I test and see a high BG that I realise I was experiencing the symptoms.

Reactions: 4 people

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I usually get very thirsty and need to go to the toilet a lot. My symptoms usually begin at around the 18-19 mark though.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also have no symptoms at all when my BG is high. However, I did have the extreme thirst when diagnosed - but my levels were 25-30mmol at that time so I guess the symptoms just don't kick in for me until very high levels are reached.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Honestly felt fine, not thirsty at all. Just drunk a lot of water though to try and lower it but im still at 13.2.

Should I try to take some novo to lower it? If so, how much does 1 unit bring Your levels down? I've never tried it without food and was told not to do it until I went on the dafne course.
So you've never taken a correction dose before? For me, 1 unit lowers me by about 3.5mmol but everyone has different ratios so you won't know until you try. Perhaps speak with you DSN it they told you not to do it but I correct/split dose regularly and have never had any problems.

Beckie2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take one unit to lower by three mmol so if you are still high maybe start there if you feel confident doing so, if not ring 111 for advice hun x hope your feeling better today xx

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nope never had one before, for some reason j had really good control for quite a while and my sugars were never over 10 within reason so I was told not to take any insulin to lower it as I would learn about that at a later date.

Thanks for the help though, managed to get it down to 7.8 before bed.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel like I'm drunk!!!! I get really tired and my eyes go blurry then I usually fall into a really heavy sleep.

Reactions: 2 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exercise (whether cardio or weights) has no effect (or causes a tiny rise) on my BG during the activity but I notice that it does drop my levels in the 1-12 hours after. The benefit of this is that I find that on days when I exercise heavily in the AM I can get away with MUCH less NovoRapid for my meals during that day.