Help?!

LisaMcintyre

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For the last few days I've had what feels like a bug. The usual symptoms can't keep anything down ect but I also have severe abdominal pain aswell. I haven't managed to eat anything so I can't give insulin because I haven't had any carbs but my ketones are sitting at 8.2! Any advice please? Should I get myself to the hospital or wait?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
get to hospital now, ring an ambulance if needed you may have DKA at those levels,
you still need to take your insulin when you are sick, ask when you ring if they want you to take your insulin, I can't tell you to take it as I'm T2

moz1

You need to take insulin even if you are not eating as you blood glucose levels will rise. What is your blood glucose reading now? Sounds like you need to go to a&e and ask them to check your blood gases. Trust me DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) is very unpleasant.

Reactions: 2 people

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For the last few days I've had what feels like a bug. The usual symptoms can't keep anything down ect but I also have severe abdominal pain aswell. I haven't managed to eat anything so I can't give insulin because I haven't had any carbs but my ketones are sitting at 8.2! Any advice please? Should I get myself to the hospital or wait?

First, if you have Type one, you should have been advised never to stop your insulin, and to monitor closely, having sweet drinks with honey etc if need be. Even when ill you should have no ketones. Are you seen at a hospital for your diabetes? I am sure they would have explained about never stopping insulin. Have some now before you phone for advice from a doctor or go to a walk in. The problem you have now is that DKA itself can cause stomach upset symptoms and sickness - i know, as i was first diagnosed in a DKA coma, and where i had been sick just before was later seen to have burnt a hole through the carpet, the chemicals were that nasty - DKA is lethal.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Please let us know what your blood glucose levels are if you aren't in A&E.

The rules are you never stop insulin. You may have to reduce your bolus dosages if you aren't eating. You may have to adjyst your basal... But as a T1 without any insulin at all you are liable to get very ill, very quickly without any insulin. Personally I hit above 25 within 4 hours of no insulin and near coma's and DKA...

Please go to A&E, call an ambulance or let us know what your blood levels currently are...

Ideally call an ambulance..

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What they all said. Call for medical advice or assistance and never stop your insulin. The abdominal pains are a possible DKA symptom.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
upload_2015-4-13_4-23-20.png

https://www.ispad.org/sites/default...pad_guidelines_2009_-_sick_day_management.pdf

Sick day rules flowchart

http://www.leicestershirediabetes.org.uk/uploads//documents/Type1 Sick_day_rules_InsulinV3.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lisa, Just really wanting to know that you're ok as seems no further thread from you? I hope you got sorted quickly and are feeling better. Thanks also to Jack for posting the sick day rules - I have never seen anything like this in almost 40 years of having diabetes - thanks for the information. :)

Reactions: 3 people