safe driving level?

janeabeth

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi my names Jane, it is my husband who is T2. Just a quick bit of background info,he was diagnoised Type 2 about 18yrs ago,he has never taken it seriously and just continued to live life as though hes non diabetic. He is not typical T2, height 6' 3" weight 14st, BP 110/60, Dr says hes fat inside!!! He is now on max tablets. His latest hba1c was 97 or 11%. I have now taken things in hand and embarked on LCFF and his numbers have really improved,averaging 6.4. The problem is his numbers in the afternoon can be quite low between 4-4.5, he is a taxi driver and has to do a school runs between 3 and 5 pm. I think these levels are too low as I have heard 'Under 5 ,dont drive'. Any advice would be appreciated.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it's best to avoid driving when below 5. If your husband is taking Gliclazide then these can cause hypos and if so some dose adjustment might help.

Reactions: 2 people

janeabeth

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes he does take gliclazide, he takes 3 a day 1 1/2 morning and night. I was wondering myself if he needed a meds review, but wouldnt like to do it without medical supervision.

iHs

Hi

Yes, yr husbands bg levels although not low enough to be hypo, are too low to be regarded as safe to drive, so ideally he needs to eat a snack of some sort to make bg go up during the school runs and of course test bg levels. Ideally, he should have something like some sugar coated sweets that are not wrapped or in packets (pastilles or jellybabies) or glucose tabs within easy reach like underneath the steering wheel shelf or in a door pocket so that if he feels not right, he can eat something sweet and then look for somewhere on the road between parked cars that he can pull in to and eat more if need be and just wait for the feeling to go (bg test again) and then all should be well.

janeabeth

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sods law, bloods were 8.7 at 3pm! Havent been that high for weeks! Though I do think the giant onion bahji's I caught him munching on for lunch may have something to do with it. He just got the' I told you not to eat them' look off me!x

janeabeth

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Definitely not a low carb option!!!!!
I know and he's been so good. He's always been a bit of a rebel! Low carbs for tea,roast chicken,cauli mash and veg. He may be able to have a small amount of stuffing if his bloods have calmed down.x

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I think these levels are too low as I have heard 'Under 5 ,dont drive'. Any advice would be appreciated.
Yes, the guidelines here in Australia are to stay over 5 when driving.

Given that the normal fasting BGL range for healthy (non diabetic) humans is 3.9 to 5.5, does anyone else think that the over 5.0 recommendation is a little over conservative? I mean, isn't it almost like saying don't drive if your BGL is well within the normal range?

janeabeth

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a non diabetic I have out of curiosity checked my BG and its almost always under 5,though it was once 7.3 after stuffing my face with chocolate! I think over 5 is recommended as you dont know if your bg is on the way up or down and you could hypo if on the way down. x

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I believe that DVLA guidelines (it's not legislation) are 5 before you get behind the wheel, we debated this in the DVLA forum not long ago.
You can go down to 4 whilst driving but must test every 2 hours if on a long journey and should stop and get out of the drivers seat if you're below 4 on your meter.
With a meter reading of 5 on a DVLA approved meter, you could actually be 4.25 with the 15% error.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/four-or-five.71595/

janeabeth

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe that DVLA guidelines (it's not legislation) are 5 before you get behind the wheel, we debated this in the DVLA forum not long ago.
You can go down to 4 whilst driving but must test every 2 hours if on a long journey and should stop and get out of the drivers seat if you're below 4 on your meter.
With a meter reading of 5 on a DVLA approved meter, you could actually be 4.25 with the 15% error.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/four-or-five.71595/
Thanks Urbanracer i will have a look at the thread. x

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
DVLA guidelines are for insulin users IIRC though, there is no onus on an oral meds user to undertake blood testing before and during driving. Interestingly I belong to a FB page where people aim to be in the 4s and 5s constantly and abroad, it is not a stipulation you must be higher to drive. Not saying it isn't prudent to check levels btw.

Ali

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It worries me that DVLA say that a test of 5 or above is needed... But must be done within 2 hours prior to driving.
I personally do it sat at the wheel before starting engine.
Some people may do a test an hour before driving and then think I got 2 hours to go..
In that one hour especially after work, gym, shopping etc levels can drop.
I test even if I got out to fill car up with petrol!!

iHs

It worries me that DVLA say that a test of 5 or above is needed... But must be done within 2 hours prior to driving.
I personally do it sat at the wheel before starting engine.
Some people may do a test an hour before driving and then think I got 2 hours to go..
In that one hour especially after work, gym, shopping etc levels can drop.
I test even if I got out to fill car up with petrol!!

This has been done so that GPs wont feel obliged to prescribe so many teststrips

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
But they aren't obliged...

JayCee6828

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been reading online about the new DVLA regulations when renewing a time restricted licence; mine runs out in December after 3 years and I am worried about some of it - has anyone on here been subject to this new requirement yet and if so how did they get on.

The thing hat concerns me is that it says DVLA will make you go to a doctor of their choice and they say you must have a blood meter with the last 3 months readings on it. I do not suffer with hypos, normally my levels are way too high to be happy with - in the twenties occasionally but more often than not in the mid teens - will this cause a problem?

The only thing I can think of to really be safe is to have two meters and make sure only acceptable readings go on to the one you will be showing them.

What are your thoughts on this as I really don't want to risk being told I can't drive anymore.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to go onto a 3 year licence last September and no medical was involved. I filled in the DIAB1 form, gave details of my GP, nurse and endo and that was that. I don't think they have any upper levels that cause a wobbly, unless your consultant deems you unsafe to drive and tells you or them as much.

Ali

JayCee6828

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Ali, maybe I should have made clear that what I read only applies if you are on insulin.

Also what would the DVLA do if you said you haven't got ?can't afford a meter?

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes you only have to declare your diabetes if you are on certain medications including insulin. If not, then you have a normal licence unless your Consultant tells you you are not fit to drive at any time.

Ali

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Jaycee are you on insulin then or not? If you aren't, and you don't fall into any of the other categories on their website or drive lorries and take certain other blood sugar meds etc, then you don't need to declare it.

Ali