I took myself to A&E

mand56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All, so I wasn't well at all it takes a lot for me to call an ambulance myself. Totally pointless I was told that they are not worried that my bg levels were so high they weren't reading. I was given a box of antibiotics for an infection I apparently have, even though they did all the tests they could including exrays and didn't find anything let alone an infection. And sent me home. So my levels are still high and I'm at a complete loose of what to do now.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It doesn't say on your profile whether you are type 1 or 2.

mand56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They have said it's possible I'm type 2 but could be 1. I'm confused I get told by one doctor I should be on insulin and then my GP wants to try different tabs before insulin.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Have you had an HbA1c? And what were the results? Sounds like you are being fobbed off. You must read around this forum for good advice. Whats you diet like? Are you aware of what carbs can do to your levels?

Reactions: 4 people

mand56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not sure about HbA1c. My levels have been reading HI since last Friday when I got to the hospital it read 37.3. I head the nurse questioning why I wasn't on insulin they were confused. This has been going on now since the end of October. I was given metformin and was taking 3 a day for 3 months. I had the blood test and it turned out the metformin didn't work at all so my GP added 1 gliclazide I went back 3 weeks later because I didn't feel well at all so he added another Gliclazide. He said we can go up another 2 if they don't help then there lots of other types of tabs we can try before insulin.

mand56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have have all kinds of blood tests and last night I had a blood test for all sorts so could well of had one for HbA1c.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
While you're waiting you could perhaps cut down on any high carb/sugary/starchy food which should hopefully help reduce those very high levels a bit.

And I know it's probably pointless advice at the moment but please try not to stress out too much, as this won't be helping either...

Robbity

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would demand to see a diabetic consultant, If I had your experience ..I'd think I was being fobbed around from people who don't seem well informed about diabetes.
you are at dangerous levels
http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/hyperosmolar-hyperglycaemic-state

I would need to get my bloods down to single numbers, regardless how it is done.

as @Robbity said and only thing I can suggest that you can do yourself, is to cut your starches and sugars
the simplest way is googling the atkins induction diet, it has meal plans and shopping lists online and 20g of carb.
http://authoritynutrition.com/atkins-diet-101/

a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

From the @Southport GP study, who posts here
http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/SpringboardWebApp/userfiles/espdi/file/March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf

Reactions: 6 people

mand56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cut down on those kind of foods at the beginning. It was the one thing I knew to do so I'm pretty good with foods I should n shouldn't eat. I have many health problems of which between them I take around 60 tabs a day. I'm stubborn and it took a lot for me to take myself to hospital. I have never felt this bad for this long I think that's what bothers me.

mand56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Didn't think to look at the atkins diet. Thank you for the links.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you tell us whether you have excess weight and also your age. As others have said you need to be seen by someone who knows something about diabetes. With a Hi reading the hospital should have given you some insulin to tide you over until you saw a diabetes GP or nurse. Yes, Gliclazide may well be the right tablet to be on. There aren't lots of other tablets to be on. If you are not overweight and the Gliclazide doesn't bring your blood sugar down then insulin is possibly needed

mand56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm 35 I had some excess weight but being on the carb free diet brought that down quite quickly. My GP said if the Gliclazide doesn't make a difference he would increase it. And then said to myself and my husband that there were lots of other tabs we can try before insulin and we are a long way of needing insulin. That's why I'm so confused.

mescott

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is your BS now ? You should get in contact with your surgery or out of hours if it is in double figures ,and get their advice I would be very insistant

mand56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's still high. The doc at the hospital said that it's only dangerous if it high for a long time. It's not ever been below double figures. I've just increasingly felt unwell. It's been HI since last Friday.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's still high. The doc at the hospital said that it's only dangerous if it high for a long time. It's not ever been below double figures. I've just increasingly felt unwell. It's been HI since last Friday.

Did the finger prick tests you have done, and those at the hospital been aligned with each other? I'd expect some variance in the numbers, but broadly.

In the context of your last post, what does "high" mean, as an actual number? Do your readings (ignoring whether they're high or not) vary much during the day and evening?

What is a typical breakfast, lunch and main meal consist of?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi All, so I wasn't well at all it takes a lot for me to call an ambulance myself. Totally pointless I was told that they are not worried that my bg levels were so high they weren't reading. I was given a box of antibiotics for an infection I apparently have, even though they did all the tests they could including exrays and didn't find anything let alone an infection. And sent me home. So my levels are still high and I'm at a complete loose of what to do now.

What a carry on for you to go through. It really is unacceptable that your levels are still so high, you must be feeling dreadful. You could change your GP, or go to A&E again or ring up 111 NHS helpline or a walk in clinic. I am type 1 and and I went out to lunch in February, i forgot to take my Insulin, couldn't get back home, so I had a chicken and bacon salad with a small amount of dressing, nothing else and my BS went up quiet a bit, so I need Insulin to control my BS levels at all times, I can't do with it. I am thinking on the lines of you being a type 1? but honestly we can't speculate as to what type you are, it must come from your hospital. It's nearly the weekend now, please get some help and please don't suffer any longer, you may become even worse. Ask questions when you talk to people , what's that test for, what does that mean ? what type am I, is there other medication and take someone with you for support. Do you have the word Hi on the meter as that means its a very high reading. Please take care and would you let us know how you get on.? Good luck RRB

Reactions: 4 people

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think you need at least a blood test with a full blood count. with all the bells and whistles. fasting . b12. trigs bone thyroid.E U s everything if the GP wont do it change them and go to a walking in center or in the last resort ... A &E and TELL them. you want these tests.

Most GP s are very good but some are like secondhand cars.

wish you well:)

Reactions: 2 people

Bewildered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This may be a bit random, but you said you have other health concerns, are you taking any tablets that have the sugar coating, some pain killers may have these.

Good luck! Hope you get sorted.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She has a reading of 37 and is on a low carb diet. I think "no spuds" isn't going to work this time!

I read what was typed, but I have witnessed, in the past, some misunderstandings of low carb and how it works. I'm not disbelieving anything anyone says, just looking for clarification.l

Thanks for you input.