Coconut oil - any thoughts/experiences?

jackie_oates_123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi ive just been to a cash and carry coco fresh Coconut oil 100% pure small jar 250 ml's cost me £1.29 not tried it yet says you can fry, spread, roasting and baking. Fingers crossed it dosn't taste like wagon greese . Has anyone tried this make?

FrancebrunNY

I use coconut oil for lots of things, as other posters have stated: hair, skin, oil pulling, cooking, etc.
A few ideas:
Get extra virgin oil.
Read up about the different kinds, such as wet milled, expeller pressed, hydrogenated, etc., to decide which is best for you and what is the best quality for your budget. I have seen a few good articles, but not sure if I can post a link here. I don't want to get in trouble for advertising something.
I want to add that some kinds have little tiny bits of coconut in them; these are not particularly good for frying, as the bits will burn. I have bought that kind, heated it to melting, then strained the bits out and put it into a jar. This way, I didn't have to have bits of coconut on my skin and in my hair. If you're just eating it by the teaspoonful, or adding it to a shake, some baking, or a salad, you don't have to care about the bits.

Reactions: 2 people

jackie_oates_123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use coconut oil for lots of things, as other posters have stated: hair, skin, oil pulling, cooking, etc.
A few ideas:
Get extra virgin oil.
Read up about the different kinds, such as wet milled, expeller pressed, hydrogenated, etc., to decide which is best for you and what is the best quality for your budget. I have seen a few good articles, but not sure if I can post a link here. I don't want to get in trouble for advertising something.
I want to add that some kinds have little tiny bits of coconut in them; these are not particularly good for frying, as the bits will burn. I have bought that kind, heated it to melting, then strained the bits out and put it into a jar. This way, I didn't have to have bits of coconut on my skin and in my hair. If you're just eating it by the teaspoonful, or adding it to a shake, some baking, or a salad, you don't have to care about the bits.
Thanks for replying yes mine does have the bits in but ive only tried it in coffee not sure what i think, but i do like coconut and dont mind the bits.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Used it the first time today on an aubergine curry, good flav... got at Tesco and branded.... they don't give it away.... maybe not so keen on the high sats.. time will tell.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it good for hair, nails etc when you eat it or when you use it as moisturiser?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
View attachment 13089

I get this one from tesco, been using it a few years, use it for everything, cooking, on hair, skin, oil pulling. Don't think it's THAT expensive for the amount of things I can do with it and a little goes a long way :)
A bit dodgy.
It's vegatable oil as vegatable oil is.
Extra virgin olive oil is vegatable oil but a superior health product.
Extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil is also a superior prodct.
The six quid jar in Tesco last me around ten days.

Reactions: 6 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Home bargains .... extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil two quid!
By Natural Selection 480mil.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
coconut.jpg

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Home bargains .... extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil two quid!
By Natural Selection 480mil.
Please could you tell me where you ordered this from? £2 is amazing!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Please could you tell me where you ordered this from? £2 is amazing!
Ordered?
I'm sorry but I'm so old fashioned I still go to the shops!
I've never spent money online.
A cheapo chain store called Home Bargains in the U.K.
Not sure if they do orders but the company name is up there.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
For instance a pkt of ready cooked straight to wok noodles is often twenty five p a packet .... pop round to any supermarket and they're maybe 75p.
Fully in date not damaged.
Famous name cooking sauces are a quid or less two quid elsewhere.
Home Bargains will sell a product only for a short time quite often.
I think it might be a case of whatever they get their hands on this month.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh thanks for that JTL, I have looked up Home Bargains and there is one near my dad so I'll drop in next time I'm over that way and scour the place for coconut oil!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Ooh thanks for that JTL, I have looked up Home Bargains and there is one near my dad so I'll drop in next time I'm over that way and scour the place for coconut oil!
I'm going back tomorrow to clear the shelf!

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Coconut Oil seems to all the rage at the moment - apparently brilliant for hair, skin and nail care.

But what about eating it? I've read that it is good fry stir frying, roasting, etc - anyone tried it and have any thoughts?
I use it all the time since my husband began eating low carb, gives a lovely flavour to chicken curry:cool:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I use it all the time since my husband began eating low carb, gives a lovely flavour to chicken curry:cool:
I can eat porridge without spiking so long as I bung a tablespoon of coconut oil in but ....I've discovered that a tablespoon of butter has the same effect.

Scottish Mum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I use it for frying at times, though I find I need less of it than I would of other oils. It's a hit or a miss. Sometimes I love the added nutty taste, other times I dislike it, but it's a great hair conditioner and for many years I used it as a moisturiser, but have moved on to Oilatum recently.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Tesco one is Groovy Food Company organic Virgin coconut oil IIRC same one is in Morrisons. I bought from Tesco as finishing Ma Devlin organic Virgin coconut oil from Amazon which I really like. Don't like the Vita Coco one from Ocado tho. I use it for low carb curry, it does taste of coconut to me.