Framingham and cholesterol

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the link Pheonix. The Heart Protection Study was interesting since it published data on cholesterol reduction for women, but it produced no mortality data. I'm not sure what to read into that? Did it save lives or didn't it? I guess they might have been keen to publish the data if it did?

The TP, that quote may be from analysis of the HPS too, I don't know. The odd thing about it is that it refers to increased risk despite normal cholesterol levels. So if raised cholesterol is the main risk, how do those with normal levels benefit?

How do they measure 'absolute benefit' without any mortality data?

Not being difficult, these are genuine questions!

fergus

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Do we need statins?

Me personally. Yes. Would I recommend them. Yes. Mind you I am in one of the high risk groups so I suppose that could colour my judgement ?

As for low carb diets. Don't have a problem with that. I have drastically reduced my carb intake and seen all my lipid levels improve. However they were also improving whilst on statins too.

It really all comes down to who or what you believe. Personal choice is paramount.

Ken.

deadwood2

Ken,

i think [what works for you | makes you feel good] is much the same thing...

As to statins, if we can have them and grapefruit for breakfast, I'm all in favour.

Being denied one of my five doesn't make me a happy bunny!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Grapefruit.....I remember it well. :(

There's always a down side I suppose. That's one thing I do miss. When I was first put on statins I was never told about the Grapefruit risks, ate the things for months before somebody told me I shouldn't be. Still wonder what would happen if I had continued eating them ?

Ken.

belinda_b

My TC is 4 or 4.1 and has been for the last two years. I take a statin and don't have a problem with it so I'm happy to carry on in the meantime. I was advised that under 4 would be more desirable for a diabetic but I'm not going to get hung up on numbers unless there was some medical reason to.

deadwood2

Ken: I think I'm going to go native and try a grapefruit next weekend. If it all goes quiet, don't try it :lol: :lol:

And whilst we're on the subject, I was told that my cholesterol was too high at 5.3 - I thought that was reasonable to top end. On questioning, I'm told that 5.5 is OK unless you're a diabetic in which case 5 is top whack. Another bloody tablet to take!

Sometimes I think that whilst I may have a problem, others are looking for as many as they can find to boost their bonus.