Are these feelings normal?

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had type 1 for over a year now and up until now I've dealt fairly well with it and the adjustment has been fine
This week I've been having a bad bad week, which hasn't happened in a while.
I think it's hit me all of a sudden that this is going to be with me forever, and the rest of my life, however long or short is going to have a good part of it taken up with injections and finger testing and counting carbs and figuring out ratios and not enjoying food because it means calculating insulin first and more than often getting the dose wrong

I've lost interest all of a sudden, and while I'm not going to stop taking my insulin obviously, it is with resentment that I do so

It's terrible but I find myself hating my friends and family a little bit for the carefree way in which they can enjoy food and eating out and nights out

I resent every inch of life that this condition has and will take out of me and don't even know if it's worth the effort

Sorry for ranting but I just wanted to run this by the group to see if these feelings are normal?

Reactions: 13 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Its normal..believe me.

Just keep taking insulin and testing... You can still enjoy yourself and have a **** good life.

We are actually lucky that our health is scrutinsed so often. Undiabetics aren't and their carefree over indulgences may well impact on their lives eventually. In the meantime at least we try to be healthy and get checked etc...

Your thoughts are absolutely normal...

Reactions: 10 people

ono

I hear you bellabella, I have also felt like that, I guess it's ups and down and you are the only one to keep yourself afloat with positive thinking. I find when I have bad periods it helps to get back to basics and stick to food you are comfy with for a couple of days. Sandwiches in my case.

Reactions: 7 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Totally normal.

I have been there, we have al been there.

Right after diagnoses its easy to bounce back and cool with things for a while.. I found things really started hitting me 3 months in.

The best why i have found to deal with this is NOT thinking about it. I learn what i can, i remember it, I apply my carb counting, and other stuff in the most mechanical, scientific way possible - I am a robot in this regard. All without thought.

You can manage well without thinking too much, because if you over think this condition it will eat at you, and bury itself in your chest until its too much to handle and it will hurt. The more you over think it the weaker you will become and its harder to come back then to not start.

Put it out of your head - there is nothing to do but what you are already doing (just make sure you do all you can). No need to think about anything beyond this moment in time.

When you feel sad - Don't think of the past, do not think of the future - focus on this moment right now, not ten minutes from now, or an hour ago. Be happy right now, that is all you have!

Reactions: 8 people

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yep ...totally normal. everyone goes through it. its like everything repeditive, it will get on your nerves sooner or later,unfortunately we have to be better than the diabetes and not let it take us over, and besides by checking all the time we lead far better lives than those who don't check.....

Reactions: 9 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes its quite normal to feel like this from time to time, especially when you've not long been diagnosed, but if it gets too much for you @bellabella then do seek professional advice as its not good to let these things linger on and overwhelm you.

As for the future, there's exciting times ahead in the way diabetes is going to be managed what with the development of the Artificial Pancreas and the on-going Stem Cell Research taking place.

Reactions: 8 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I am writing this and it is "now"
This time next week and in a months time it will be "now"
This time in 10 years time it will be "now"
And when I am lying on my death bed it will still be "now"

As it will always be "now" "now" is the only thing I need learn to respond to !

Hi bellabella, just try and concentrate on the moment. It is so easy to get drawn into negative thinking with this illness but it gets none of us anywhere.

Give yourself a day off every now and then. If your levels have been decent for a while have a treat. Have the odd meal where you don't spend half an hour carb counting. Just have it !

What's the point if we let it rule us to such an extent that it takes over our life completely and we think of nothing else !

Resenting friends and family will just hurt you. Resentment I heard someone say is taking poison yourself and expecting others to suffer !

It is all very normal bellabella, we have all been there and most of us will at some point be there again. And when we do it might be you giving us encouragement. Just see it as part of the illness and it will pass.

Don't give up. Each and every one of us is far bigger and far better than this illness !

Forget yesterday and tomorrow never comes. Live for now, it's all we have, diabetic or not !

Reactions: 5 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I have type1 for over 52 years and I still get the odd few days like you,then I think this bloody disease isn't going to get me and back on the straight and narrow I go.

Reactions: 6 people

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for all the kind words, much appreciated. This forum has genuinely been a blessing.
Today has been a bit better, hopefully it'll pass for another little while

Reactions: 4 people