Gastric band can 'cure' diabetes!!

chocoholic

It's not me saying this, it is in the Daily Mail today. Some morbidly obese chap had a gastric bypass to 'cure' his diabetes. Yep, his diabetes has now gone! The surgeon who did it reckons this is def. something for the very overweight Type 2's. Actually I got really mad reading the article, as, as per usual, it seems to infer that nearly all diabetics are obese. In fact, in one place, it actually said diabetes is 'caused' by too much glucose in the blood.I thought that was a symptom of diabetes, not the cause. On diagnosis I was told they don't know the cause.
I suppose it's not as bad as my local paper the other day.....who printed an article stating that diabetes was caused by eating too much sugar. I was going to write to them but having sent a hugely long letter last year in response to a disgustingly ill-informed article on diabetes, it obviously fell on deaf ears, so what's the point?
There is another article in todays Mail highlighting the use of Victoza, saying injecting this once a day could help Type 2's by controlling symptoms of diabetes and helping to fight obesity.......'cause we all know us diabetics are a load of gluttonous fatties!!!!!
I know I'm a type 1 but having been wrongly labelled Type 2 for 4 years, I know how it feels for all you slim Type 2's to be constantly labelled with an 'obese' tag and it's time the media got ther act together and realised we are all different and that a high percentage of diabetics are just normal or slim in build.
I did notice the advert put out recently on T.V.(Fit For Life?) that started out mentioning diabetes, then changed it to type 2 diabetes, has actually changed it again and said something like 'nasty or horrid diseases', with no mention of diabetes. It's a start.
Rant over.

haptagud

I did find it kind of funny how this "newspaper" seems to pushing the idea that all diabetics are over-weight lazy people, who could cure their problems by simply slimming down to "normal" levels...

I'll stop here so I don't start ranting about the standards and practices of modern news reporting. :evil:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Is this thread about the side effect (ie - curing Diabetes) of Gastric Band fitting, or about ranting about not wanting to to be labelled with us "Gluttonous Fatties"?

ATSBod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
haptagud said:
...all diabetics are over-weight lazy people, who could cure their problems by simply slimming down to "normal" levels...

I suppose by eating trans-fat spreads instead of butter, cutting all the fat off meat, using skimmed milk, eating plenty of rice, potatoes, wholemeal bread and pasta, etc., etc. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Ignorance makes me cross too. Journalists used to pride themselves on careful research. I am overweight, but far from lazy. I was on constant diets all my life, but in those days it was low fat/low calorie. I ended up with T2, just like my mother,grandmother and probably great-grandmother before me. Low calorie, low fa didn't make me any lighter, nor divert the T2 genes.
I've walked about 4 miles, up steep hills this morning( between rain showers :lol: ) I use my feet as my main means of transport. I did an hour and a half in the pool and gym yesterday.

chocoholic

Is this thread about the side effect (ie - curing Diabetes) of Gastric Band fitting, or about ranting about not wanting to to be labelled with us "Gluttonous Fatties"?

It's not a question of being labelled 'with' gluttonous beings, Patch, it's a question of media perception that all diabetics are fat and if they are overweight, they must be gluttonous. Wrong on both counts in my eyes.
And yes, I'm a little sceptical about an article that mentions 'curing' diabetes.I thought there WAS no cure. I think if a true cure for diabetes had been found, it would be headline news. I live for that day.

RebeccaSmith

Ego statistical writers. I noticed that on the advert too, was infuriated by it. In my gym, there was a flyer for the British Heart Foundation on cardiovascual disease, in there it referred to diabetes, and in small print it said type 2 diabetes is different to type 1.
I'm also irritated by articles that say type 1 diabetics usually have to inject. Err I have never ever in my life heard of a type 1 diabetic not having to inject every day before meals and before bed. I think it's about time that these writers were informed - representation is a very import thing, and it is wrong to represent diabetes as one category and label them, because arrogant and naive people believe these nonsense claims. Makes me furious.
I read somewhere about a type1 diabetic who binge drunk to 'forget' about her diabetes and got to the point where she needed a liver and pancreas transplant and it stated that this would erradicate her diabetes...any idea?
I definately don't agree with gastric bands. I feel that if you can eat to the point where you are practially bedridden then you should atleast attempt to reverse the issues that were self inflicted before risking your life.

humph

My reading of this was it was a gastric bypass and not a gastric band, I believe there is a difference.

It states that blood sugars return to normal within hours of the operation and medication is ceased. So the op is causing the change and they need to isolate what is changing and work out a way of triggering it without the operation. There maybe a treatment somewhere in all of this.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Good shout, Humph. It's odd that the BG stabilises only hours after the op. More research needs to be done into what actually causes the BG to drop - because its not the losing weight that causes the BG to drop, as the results show.

What happens in the body to make the BG drop after the op???

fran

I have a friend who had a gastric band fitted and she isnt diabetic - she said its the worst thing she ever did and the most expensive. I think its a very extreme thing to do especially if youre only a type 2. You are very limited in what you can eat with a gastric band and personally i wouldn't think about doing it for one minute after listening to the problems my friend has had to endure, and i am type 1.If there was a way to cure diabetes then i would love to look at the outcome of what was involved.

chocoholic said:
It's not me saying this, it is in the Daily Mail today. Some morbidly obese chap had a gastric bypass to 'cure' his diabetes. Yep, his diabetes has now gone! The surgeon who did it reckons this is def. something for the very overweight Type 2's. Actually I got really mad reading the article, as, as per usual, it seems to infer that nearly all diabetics are obese. In fact, in one place, it actually said diabetes is 'caused' by too much glucose in the blood.I thought that was a symptom of diabetes, not the cause. On diagnosis I was told they don't know the cause.
I suppose it's not as bad as my local paper the other day.....who printed an article stating that diabetes was caused by eating too much sugar. I was going to write to them but having sent a hugely long letter last year in response to a disgustingly ill-informed article on diabetes, it obviously fell on deaf ears, so what's the point?
There is another article in todays Mail highlighting the use of Victoza, saying injecting this once a day could help Type 2's by controlling symptoms of diabetes and helping to fight obesity.......'cause we all know us diabetics are a load of gluttonous fatties!!!!!
I know I'm a type 1 but having been wrongly labelled Type 2 for 4 years, I know how it feels for all you slim Type 2's to be constantly labelled with an 'obese' tag and it's time the media got ther act together and realised we are all different and that a high percentage of diabetics are just normal or slim in build.
I did notice the advert put out recently on T.V.(Fit For Life?) that started out mentioning diabetes, then changed it to type 2 diabetes, has actually changed it again and said something like 'nasty or horrid diseases', with no mention of diabetes. It's a start.
Rant over.

SJW63

I have a friend who was type 2, obese, and had a gastric bypass. 8 stone gone in a year and BG normal. I don't know what to make of it! Personally, I would prefer to lose the 8 stone through my own efforts, but the bypass seems to have worked for her.

bunty

A friend of mine who had Type 2 was diagnosed with a cancer and had half her stomach removed.

The diabetes symptons disappeared and she is effectively 'cured' of that disease and can now eat anything she likes and her b.g remains stable.

Mind you, whether she can hang on to what she eats is a different matter and she can only eat tiny portions anyway.

I'm quite sure the gastric band ops are great for weight loss and subsequent diabetes control but crumbs, it's a really drastic method and the mortality rate for such ops is high as heck!

bunty

Dr H

Dislikes
- People without manners
- Being interrogated about non-low-carbing
Hi,

On one of the original point about diabetes being cause by high blood glucose and whether it is a symptom or not. I was pre-diabetic for a long time, now I highly doubt that my high blood glucose levels were symptoms, but stemmed from my bad diet. Sadly however, I had been pre-diabetic for quite a while and was insulin resistant.

So it's ambiguous as most cases of diabetes aren't directly caused by high blood glucose levels, but that may contribute towards it.

And yes, the mortality rates for gastric band surgery (as with any operation on a major organ) are ridiculously high, especially when you'd preferably want to be losing weight naturally at a couple of pounds a week.

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I must be being thick here - I thought high blood glucose was the result of diabetes, not the cause :? ?

Dr H

Dislikes
- People without manners
- Being interrogated about non-low-carbing
Not always true. If you have a sugary diet like I used to. When you eat it, you have a natural boost in blood sugar. However, your pancreas releases insulin to stimulate the liver and muscles into removing glucose from the blood.

But, and this is the important point, you can acquire resistance to insulin (like a smoker can with nicotine. It'll start off that they will only need a couple of cigarettes a day, but they become resistant to the effects of nicotine so need more and more).

In the end, although your pancreas produces insulin, it has absolutely no effect. Resulting in diabetes.

I hope I explained that well enough.