Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm sure I'm not alone here desperate to try out a libre but still in the waiting list after months!

You should hear back from them soon, I registered an interest in the Libre in January and got an email in April to say I could purchase one, so a 3 month wait.

cjld999

@donnelysdogs, I appreciate that. I had already worked out that two sensors per month would be cheaper than 150 strips but hadn't thought about writing the letter myself! I work in the NHS, currently in mental health, and when I see how resources are already stretched I feel bad as at least I have a pump, despite the fact I hope in the long term a CGM/libre would enable me to stay healthier thus fit for work and putting something back! I will get onto it before my next clinic appointment!

Maybe the day will come when we can all have a bionic pancreas! I guess as another member said, thirty years ago we were all so hopeful there would be a cure by now and undoubtedly management has improved but unfortunately I'm a statistic to prove that good control doesn't necessarily mean complication free so researchers are clearly missing I would think, a genetic component. However I live in hope (just hope I don't die in despair!!).

Reactions: 4 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Glad for you yingtong.

Its no good moaning unless you do something about the situation yourself.

If a full detailed account and costings are individually tailore to the individual and go to consultant and copied to CCG's then more people would be getting them funded.

I have a superb consultant at my hospital but she cannot be the only one.

I'm not moaning, far from it! I accept that currently my local health services are in a terrible state - not just broke (in more ways than one) but in special measures - and that services across the board are being limited because there is just no more money in the pot. I wish it was about making a case but I've been informed that Libre on the nhs is unlikely to be considered on this area at all for a very long time. At the moment I'm being asked to test 9 times a day and am given 100 test strips a month.......!! o_O Sue xx

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sorry, wasn't intentionslly directing my "moaning" comment directly at you.

I was (bluntly) expressing ways to go about getting funding. A bit blunt I admit!!
You are in dire straits with your special measures!! And that is horrendous. Getting on to patient committees at hospitals/GPs is another way forward... Not necessarily to openly say that you are a diabetic with concerns over test strips because that would be a complaint as such but it is possible to suggest that their shortsightedness ref strips and Libres could actually be causing more wastage of valuable money.....

Reactions: 4 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Believe me its crazy here! I did post a moaning thread in LADA section the other day!!!! Supposed to start insulin beginning of March, got prescription in post last week, now got insulin in fridge but still can't get an appointment for dosage/initial 'lesson' so can't use the stuff!!! Doctors and nurses are all fantastic but system here is totally broke...
... and I'm now too knackered to shout anymore!!! :eek:. Sue xxxx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Believe me its crazy here! I did post a moaning thread in LADA section the other day!!!! Supposed to start insulin beginning of March, got prescription in post last week, now got insulin in fridge but still can't get an appointment for dosage/initial 'lesson' so can't use the stuff!!! Doctors and nurses are all fantastic but system here is totally broke...
... and I'm now too knackered to shout anymore!!! :eek:. Sue xxxx

I remember your post... Are you still
In the same position? That is truly unbelievable... (if you know what I mean)

Reactions: 2 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Yep still the same! Did get a routine follow up appointment through for the Consultant for August!! I'm considered urgent, think of the poor souls who aren't!! :greedy: Sue xx

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should hear back from them soon, I registered an interest in the Libre in January and got an email in April to say I could purchase one, so a 3 month wait.
Abbott had a backorder situation on Libre across all (Libre active) European countries from around December till early May. As uptake/demand was higher than expected and their manufacturing was still in process to ramp up capacity. Reason why they closed temporary for taking in new users, to ensure those that already started could continue with refills without interruption. So here is another warning about the 'Ebay model': Buying/getting the Freestyle Libre reader from somebody else than Abbott/your local diabetes centre means that you are not a registered user either at Abbott. You are therefor not able to logon and get resupplies of the sensor. Of which you need a new for every 14 days. Maybe I miss something special on this in the UK market, as don't live there, but this is the case for Denmark, NL, Germany and France.

Reactions: 5 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Except its not available in Denmark. You have to use a VPN to sign on and give a UK address and billing address.