Lots of Hypos

LittleFragge

I've recently had high reading between 15-17 in the evening and morning so was told to increase my ratio of insulin. At tea I take 3units for every 10. I have increase it to 3.5 for every 10. For the last 3 nights at 3:30 I have had a hypo at 2.7.

Three nights with a hypo and I'm now exhausted.

Can anyone one advise? I've been scared to take my insulin because hypos feels so horrible and are scary, should I just leave it to stay at the higher readings.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When exactly are you getting those high readings? Is the morning one when you first wake? What about the evening high?

What time do you eat your evening meal?

When you say you're scared to take your insulin, do you mean your basal insulin?

Sorry for all the questions!

LittleFragge

I don't eat until 8pm because of work etc, my high is when I go to bed about 11 and it's between 12-15 then between 15-17 in the morning, so I have increased my fast acting 3.5 for every 10 and my long action I have added and extra 2 of units all advised by my DN.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok, thank you. It's been many years since I've been on MDI, so I wouldn't want to give specific advice ( I'm on a pump) but I'd report those hypos to your DSN and see what they say.

The morning highs could be a rebound from the low, or over-treatment of the hypo, or related to your basal. It's hard to monitor two changes at once, I think. Have these highs just started?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The pump will make control a lot easier. The reason I got mine was because of nighttime hypos and high morning sugars - so very much like you. Now with my pump, my insulin dose per hour goes down to a tiny amount at the beginning of the night, and increases a lot at the end.

No long acting insulin could cover those needs.

If the hypos scare you, you could always anticipate them and set an alarm for just before you usually get one. I did that and it helped relax me. If you're able, you may want to do some tests later in the night to see what your blood sugars are doing. I have the Dawn Phenomena which pushes mine up.

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't eat until 8pm because of work etc, my high is when I go to bed about 11 and it's between 12-15 then between 15-17 in the morning, so I have increased my fast acting 3.5 for every 10 and my long action I have added and extra 2 of units all advised by my DN.
There actually wasn't much of an increase between your bedtime and morning blood sugars. It looks to me like you only needed to increase your fast acting and not your long acting.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sorry, With the high being 2-3 hours after a meal that would indicate a bolus needing to be corrected.

As I understand it you are-
Bolusing for meal around 8pm
High at 11pm
Hypo at 3am
High in morning..

This to me indicates:
Evening meal is either being:
1) too little insulin... (We do not know your levels before the meal, so this information would have been useful, but I have assumed that your level was less than 8.0)
2) your bolus injection is not being given at quite the right time for your meal that you are eating;
3) that your meal bolus may not be calculating to take in to account a need for fat and or protein consideration

Then your hypo's at 3am indicates that:
1) basal timing is incorrect (we do not know what time you give this basal injection)
2) the basal dosage is too high

Your morning high level indicates:
1) dawn phenomenon (do you ever test at this time) if you have a lie in? ) (does this high occur at this time if you do lie in)
2) over treatment of the hypo at 3am
3) have you always had higher levels in the morning?
4) depending upon the basal you are using, it may not be lasting 24 hours, but this would also depend upon what time you are taking the basal or if you are split dosing it.

And finally: it does sound as if you need a pup where you can fine tune your nightly basal rate insulin. However, if you could answer any of the questions above it may help to eradicate some of the swings you are having...