Type1 new to forum.

Craigk93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm also a "newbie"

I'm not sure how to post my own status thing on this of anyone could help would be great!

I've been diabetic for 6 years and have struggled badly to get to grips. The past week I have started lchf and it didn't start too well as I was still getting high results but heard that it could be the protein I'm eating. After figuring that out I'm now having the best result I've had in a long time

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi I'm also a "newbie"

I'm not sure how to post my own status thing on this of anyone could help would be great!

I've been diabetic for 6 years and have struggled badly to get to grips. The past week I have started lchf and it didn't start too well as I was still getting high results but heard that it could be the protein I'm eating. After figuring that out I'm now having the best result I've had in a long time

Well done Craigk and welcome to the forums. What sort of BG numbers are you getting now then?

C

catherinecherub

Hi @Craigk93 and a warm welcome to the forum.

Plenty of experienced Type1s who will help with any queries that you have.

Craigk93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My readings just now are between 5 and 8 but feel like my body is still adjusting to these numbers for example vision a bit blurry hypo sign for anything under 5 and highly irritable at times

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My readings just now are between 5 and 8 but feel like my body is still adjusting to these numbers for example vision a bit blurry hypo sign for anything under 5 and highly irritable at times
Yes, all normal reactions to coming back down to a reasonable level after flying high for too long.

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Craig :) When I first got diagnosed I suffered really bad with my vision for a few days, it got better pretty quickly so I don't think there's any need to panic. I associated blurred vision with being too high, but actually it seemed to be when my levels started coming down that I really suffered!

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome, great help and support on the site. Well done for getting your levels down

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
Hi Craigk93,

Tell us a bit about your insulin regime. You say you are on LCHF, but do you carb count & bolus adjust?

With readings between 5 and 8 that sounds spot on, so you should stick with the carbs & bolus you are giving and in time "how I feel" should settle down. If the BG readings are in target, that is what you need to aim for.

Craigk93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm just on a basic carb to insulin ratio of 1 unit every 10 carbs but I'm rarely eating more than 10 carbs a day anyway. I am currently using 1 unit for every 5g of protein to as well which seems to be working fine atm but I reckon I need to fine tune my basal insulin I'm on lantus but I hadn't took it for a long time and have just been trying to guess really how much to take but have had a hypo in the middle of the night 3 nights in a row

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Craig, welcome to the forum.

You really shouldn't be guessing your basal insulin because as you can see that has resulted in hypos during the middle of the night. You need to contact your Diabetic team and inform them of your problems and give them your readings from the past few days so they can advise on what route to take with your basal/bolus. Perhaps doing a 02:00 check on your sugars so that you are safe during the night and phone diabetic team tomorrow.

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
Hi Craig,

You clearly need to do some fasting tests overnight, and also during day, to check the basal (Lantus) dose, which appears to be too high. When you make a change always remember to stay at that dose for 3 days since it takes that long to take full effect.

As suggested by teacher123, always get advice from your diabetes team first. Let us know how it goes ....