Insulin Concerns

dblil7677

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help me? I have had diabetes for 5 years and have been on insulin - 80 units Humlin I and 3 x 6 units novo rapid daily plus 1000mg metaformin. My bloods have good control but I am now very worried and starting to fret after reading several medical journals that link insulin to increased risk of cancer!! Does anyone know if this is actually the case or is it highly over speculated? I am an awful worrier at the best of times but since reading this i cannot stop thinking about it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

X

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I won't claim to be a cancer expert, but I am doing a chemistry degree, and have a sister who has a masters degree in cancer research, so feel I'm generally pretty well informed. The way I see it, news papers, journals, tv....they all love a good cancer scare story. There are just as many research articles proving something causes cancer as there are articles that will say it doesn't. Personally, I think the benefits of taking insulin way WAY outweigh any risks. You can find news stories claiming virtually anything causes cancer. Don't smoke, stick to a healthy weight, don't spend your life in the sun without sun cream on...and I'd say you're pretty well covered.

Reactions: 3 people

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help me? I have had diabetes for 5 years and have been on insulin - 80 units Humlin I and 3 x 6 units novo rapid daily plus 1000mg metaformin. My bloods have good control but I am now very worried and starting to fret after reading several medical journals that link insulin to increased risk of cancer!! Does anyone know if this is actually the case or is it highly over speculated? I am an awful worrier at the best of times but since reading this i cannot stop thinking about it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

X
My father started taking insulin in his 20s and died at a very respectable 89 years old - he was a doctor and never did I hear him mention increased risk of cancer. My mother on the other hand died of cancer and my sister has also had it, but I am an insulin dependent diabetic and although, I guess, at high risk for cancer, I am not going to worry that the insulin will make that risk higher. Hope that makes some sense? I should put your mind at rest, if you need insulin, which you obviously do, take it and don't worry :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i don't see it as much of a choice -- I have been taking insulin for nearly 43 years -- I don't have cancer but should i develop it i certainly wouldn't blame it on the insulin -- i am alive because of it

shaggy1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"One in two people born after 1960 in the UK will be diagnosed with some form of cancer during their lifetime"

That's from the cancer research website(and I couldn't believe it when I read it) Obviously I can't say whether or not I or you will develop cancer or whether insulin causes it, but its pointless worrying about things that haven't happened to you yet.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My stepdads children -all non diabetics have had various cancers-all 5 of them now. From rectal to stomach to breast (-2 of the sisters, one a double masectomy) and one prostrate. My mums side us strange... Ones with diabetes have died of heart if diabetic. Cancer if non diabetic. All my dads side (non diabetics) have died of cancer.
Its genes... Media and research is just based on a sample of people... And making headlines...and filling space when there's no other news...

Hubby n I were talking about this the other night. My theory is that you have to die of something and its basically going to be heart troubles or cancer... Even natural old age death is due to heart stopping!!

So the most important tjing us to live whilst you got the chance!!!

Even if they cured deaths by cancer and heart attacks there's no way I would want to live forever in a decpredit old wrinkled body with a brain that was not as active as when I was 20!

Just live and make the most of what you have!!!

Reactions: 4 people

dblil7677

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you ALL for your replies. Everything you have said has made me feel more reassured and look at these claims from a more positive approach. I am super sensitive when I read things like this which is probably a good reason to stop reading them!! :/

Hugs to you all x

Reactions: 4 people