HBA1C's, Type1 and pregnancy

natw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello everyone,
I am a type 1 diabetic of 27 years and my current HBA1C is 7.7 which is the best it has ever been! My husband and I really want to start trying for a baby but recently by BM's have been really hard to control and I know it will push my HBA1C up. Has anyone else had this problem? My diabetes team have said try and get your HBA1C to 7.4 but its so hard especially when you do shifts. Just feel a bit down at the moment like its just never going to happen :-( has anyone else felt like this? xx

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @natw I couldn't get my hba1c down from 7.7 no matter what I did so asked about a pump, luckily for me I got one very quickly and a1c has came down to 6.2 I eat fairly low carb and haven't massively changed my eating since getting the pump so I think it's been that that had got my levels done, don't know if it's something you would consider as I know it's not for everyone but I absolutely love mine x

natw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @natw I couldn't get my hba1c down from 7.7 no matter what I did so asked about a pump, luckily for me I got one very quickly and a1c has came down to 6.2 I eat fairly low carb and haven't massively changed my eating since getting the pump so I think it's been that that had got my levels done, don't know if it's something you would consider as I know it's not for everyone but I absolutely love mine x

Hi mrsass, thank you for your reply I really appreciate it. I am already on a pump, think the main issue is that I am a shift worker so I do really on carbs a lot to maintain my BM's especially at work. The past 2 days have been perfect! Fingers crossed it stays that way, I know it won't mind you :-(
xx

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@natw ahh sorry Hun, have you tried basal testing? I know will be hard while shift working etc but maybe that's where the prob is? X

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It must be hard to get your sugars really tight when you're working shifts. I had to work some night shifts once and my sugars went mad - they kept going high and my normal ratios and basals didn't work (I'm on a pump too).

Is there any particular time or situation at work when your BMs are high? Or any reason? I dont know if you're able to have regular breaks or if your activity level is predictable, for example.

For me, it was after meal spikes that pushed my HbA1C up. I hadn't realised how much I was spiking. Once I saw that I could take some action to try to sort it out.

natw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello, sorry for huge delay in reply life has gone a bit mad at the minute :arghh:! I am an A&E sister so yes my work is very varied!!! I do have very good support from my colleagues which is great. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to my readings sometimes at work or not. My BM's have been improving over the past few days as I have had to up my basal rates more. I am keeping everything crossed that they settle even further asap though as I want to start trying for this baby!!!
Thanks for your replies, its nice to seek support from people that understand :)

Reactions: 2 people