Scared of going to the dentist

superg42

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my name is super 42 and I'm a type 2 diabetic and I've been a diabetic for some years. I'm going to the dentist in a couple of days and I'm really scared sence I'm a diabetic and my question is should I eat and take my insulin before I go to my appointment or can I wait until my appointment is over with and I ask this question because my appointment is at 8am but I usually eat breakfast and take my medicine around 11am, can somebody please help?

C

catherinecherub

Hi superg42,

Are you going for a checkup or are you going for treatment? Does your dentist know about your medication and insulin?

superg42

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi catherinecherub,
I'm going to have teeth pulled and fixed. I let my dentist know that I am diabetic but nothing more was said. I mean by me having to be at the appointment so early, I was just going to wait till they were done with my mouth to take my insulin but I'm just still confused.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can't help with the insulin side of the question as I am only on Metformin, what i can say is that normally I am advised not to eat or drink for 2 - 3 hours after having any fillings done, and when I had an extraction a few months ago I wasn't to eat anything for several hours and then only soft food for a day or two.

Some fillings need time to cure so it might depend on which type you have as to whether you can eat straight afterwards or not, and with extractions you need to do your best to make sure the blood clot sets well and doesn't break otherwise you end up with a dry socket which is not only exceedingly painful but takes longer to heal and normally needs extra treatment by the dentist to pack the socket. I should mention that I am terrified of dental treatment and for the extraction need to be sedated as well as the normal local anaetheic so I do try and do what ever possible to minimise the follow on treatment.

I would say therefore, you are best to eat before the appointment and plan not to have anything else until about lunchtime.

Reactions: 2 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im on insulin and never had any issuses with dentists appointments. Just do what you would normally do. Good luck :)