What most ppl don't know about Diabetes!

ZanMan5

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
What's one thing that most ppl who don't struggle with diabetes don't know about?

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know about T1s, but for T2s it's definitely that it isn't necessarily self inflicted.

Reactions: 14 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That we are really sorry that your great aunt / uncle / nan etc had diabetes and that they only have one toe left when diabetes killed them but we don't need to actually know that. It's called over sharing.
I have worked with women who have survived breast cancer. When originally told of their diagnosis it never crossed my mind to tell them that my mum died of it when she was very young. Or the horrible operations, chemo, radiotherapy and the sadness of it all.
Tell me who has diabetes in your family but for f@@@s sake spare the horrifying details.
Ooooooooo, I don't know where that came from!

Reactions: 20 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It's like a fairground ( roller coaster) ride. It's best to be on the merry go round, nice and calm and stable. But often it can be like the biggest roller coaster ride in the world and we some times don't know how we got on it and the ride is a scary one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

ZanMan5

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
That we are really sorry that your great aunt / uncle / nan etc had diabetes and that they only have one toe left when diabetes killed them but we don't need to actually know that. It's called over sharing.
I have worked with women who have survived breast cancer. When originally told of their diagnosis it never crossed my mind to tell them that my mum died of it when she was very young. Or the horrible operations, chemo, radiotherapy and the sadness of it all.
Tell me who has diabetes in your family but for f@@@s sake spare the horrifying details.
Ooooooooo, I don't know where that came from!
Love this!!!!

Reactions: 2 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That what is a healthy diet for them ie pasta, whole meal bread, jacket spuds, low fat foods is not for us diabetics and eating full fat is, in fact, healthier

Reactions: 5 people

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That what is a healthy diet for them ie pasta, whole meal bread, jacket spuds, low fat foods is not for us diabetics and eating full fat is, in fact, healthier
This isn't actually true for all diabetics!

Reactions: 8 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That it's 24/7, it's not just the "ooh I couldn't do that" injections which take seconds.

Reactions: 8 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
That since the majority of obese people do not develop T2 diabetes, it can't be "caused" by obesity, there must be genes involved, and none of us are responsible for what our genes are like.

Reactions: 13 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The obvious question!

Why me?

Why do I flush insulin and my medical condition is so rare that, it's very difficult to find scientific evidence of how to treat it?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love people's first reaction when you tell them. "How have you been", "Ok I just found out I have diabetes", "Oh no" then stunned awkward silence while they are looking you up and down because you're a bit overweight. You can just tell by the look on their face that they think you caused it yourself because of your weight.

Reactions: 6 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
4ratbags you should tell them it is the infectious kind and then sneeze dramatically. Media stereotypes - fighting an uphill battle.

Reactions: 12 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I didn't know until I was diagnosed was that there was more than one type of diabetes, and not all of us have to inject. Shame on me!

Robbity

paruri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That T2 can be reversed with diet and exercise. (my OH doesn't believe this)

Reactions: 5 people
G

graj0

What's one thing that most ppl who don't struggle with diabetes don't know about?
They have absolutely any idea of their state of health (by and large, not everyone), whereas I know what my BP, BG, cholesterol are all doing. Plus I know the state of my heart and it's plumbing, plus I have an incentive that makes eating sensibly so much easier, better still, I know what sensible eating is, for me. Sorry, that's more than one, I haven't figured out what my brain's doing though, that's a tricky one. LOL

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That T2 can be reversed with diet and exercise. (my OH doesn't believe this)

Sadly, that isnt always true.

But the good news is that most type 2s respond very well to diet and exercise, even when it doesn't result in 'reversal'.

Reactions: 17 people