A Success Story

bigcj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed in January 2015 as a type 2 diabetic. As previously posted I have had a very difficult time coming to terms with my condition, I will spare you a repeat of those details but certainly mirror those posted by many others. My diabetic nurse has been fantastic and with support from this forum I achieved a target today that I did not think I could achieve and that was to be taken off the Metformin. I appreciate that it may be only temporary, but it has given me second wind to stick to a sensible diet to help manage the condition and hopefully maintain my health. At 56 this has been a life changer but the main purpose of this thread is to provide hope to those newly diagnosed that if an over weight man of age can do it then may others can. I think loosing 4 stone and maintaining a very low sugar and a lowish carb. diet has been the biggest factors, a big thanks again to all those who have taken the time and trouble to post their experience and opinions.

Reactions: 27 people

lizzi51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, and it's an encouragement to the rest of us. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: 4 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Well done keep up the good work

Reactions: 2 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great result and very inspirational :) Keep it going ...you have done so well and congrats on the weight loss ...that is truly amazing :D

Wiluwrite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No cake
Well done I'm only 3 weeks in & struggling to keep focused. I'm sure we all have lapses & put it behind us & carry on

bigcj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done I'm only 3 weeks in & struggling to keep focused. I'm sure we all have lapses & put it behind us & carry on
Thanks Wiluwrite, 3 weeks after my diagnosis I was in a very dark place and very confused. I read a lot and asked questions on this forum, eventually the fog cleared. Information allows you to make informed decisions based on your own personal needs. I found the Desmond course useful, many don't, I suspect we are all different and our coping mechanisms vary. I have come to enjoy my new diet although I miss some of my favourite savoury foods, my approach has been to avoid the really bad stuff completely rather than moderate them. Good look and please don't be afraid to ask you will soon identify who can help and those who are clueless.

trace_1963

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I was diagnosed in may 2015,my hbalc was 49,told to lose weight and exercise,I have been a member on this sight since being diagnosed and found all the information so very helpful, I have lost nearly 2 stone in weight following diet and exercise I can fit in clothes I haven't wore in ages,I have just received my 3 month follow up check from my surgery and feel scared,I will keep you posted with my results, fingers crossed lol x