Quorn and Tofu

salsasue

Hi! I like to try new things and have heard of Quorn and Tofu but don't have any idea of what could be done with them? Please help? I've thought of trying Quorn Sausages but have heard mixed reactions to them so would also welcome feedback, please? With exception to chicken, I don't care for meat, once in a while occasionally but can easily take or leave it, that's all. It's not even for healthy/ethical reasons, just gone off the taste of red meat to be honest so am just considering possible alternatives that I could try so any ideas/suggestions would be of great help! Cheers in advance! :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I had some Quorn kievs from Waitrose last week and they were delicious!
Hana

Spiral

I regularly eat Quorn and tofu. Both are high protien.

I like a nice veggie fry up and have eaten veggie sausages for years. You need to experiement with the brands and recipes.

I like peppery Cumberland sausages. My favorie is the Cauldron one, but they have recently increased tha carb content of a sausage, I think by making them a bit bigger and reducing teh number in a pack from 5 to 4. Quorn sausages are slightly ower carb. I tend to experiement more when they are on those BOGOF offers :D Quorn also do freezer packs of saisages, which are very nice.

Sliced smoked fried tofu makes an acceptable alternative to bacon.

Tofu has a bland flavour and ideally needs to be marinaded to give it some flavour - trawl the internet for recipies. You can also buy marinaded tofu.

I have discovered tofu shakes - I have made a lovely lemon cheesecake flavour shake as breakfast and plan to try a coffee frapuccino shake for breakfast tomorrow morning.

There are differnt kinds of tofu for different things, experiement.

salsasue

Many thanks, everyone for your comments and feedback! :D :D Tried Quorn sausages (grilling) with tomato, red pepper etc and they are delicious! :D Have heard Quorn burgers from Iceland nice too, also mince so will give them a go in weeks to come!

Tofu, got a small packet of the smoked variety but will have to try and fry it as had a bit cold and didn't care for that much specially as some hours later still had a certain unpleasant aftertaste but maybe it needs something doing extra to it! Thanks for all suggestions too, always open to new tastes and things; variety being the spice of life and all that! :) :p

take care and best wishes, all, Sue

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I also buy deep fried bean curd from the chinese supermarket. Bloody lovely stuff - just slice it up and stir fry it with veg and your choice of sauce.

Luiseach

Dislikes
Spiders and Miley Cyrus
UPB and I eat tofu or quorn with pretty much every evening meal. As I am not the chef of the household I'm sure his input will be of more use to you, but I cannot stress enough how versatile the two products are. Tofu is trickier to get right than quorn, but using chunks of it as the meat alternative in spaghetti bolognese for example, is wonderful. You have to buy the non-silken blocks of tofu, freeze them, then defrost in boiling water or a microwave, thoroughly drain them, cut them into small cubes and add to your sauce of choice. Because the freezing will have changed the texture of the tofu, the sauce really soaks in. I leave the tofu simmering in the sauce for a few minutes just to thoroughly infuse it.

I also like to add capers, black olives and chunky sauteed garlic to the tomato sauce.

Good times.

sugar-rush

Dislikes
being fat, liars, bullies, being stressed all the time
i have quorn sausages,
i put quorn pieces in curry
and i put quorn mince in lasange and spag bol.
i have quorn kiev bites.
and i have the asda veg lasagne

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My GF is a veggie, and she's just found Quorn mini scotch eggs. I've pinched a couple when she's not looking ( :wink: ) and they are bl00dy lovely! Nicer than the real thing... (Did I REALLY just say that?!?)

She's also a big fan (and now so am I) of Linda McCartney Sausages.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Shy girl
I can give you a low carb recipe for a "curry"It's not VERY low, because it's with lentils, but absoluteely lovely
pm me if you want it
Hana