Diabetes is not the end of the world... its...

steveng

.. its worse its the end of Jelly Babys!!! :

Saw this on another thread and thought it would make a good one line topic, thanks to bobro for the above.

Anymore anyone ?.

Steve

Silvercat

It was the end of Mars bars for me and I am such a chocoholic. I get constant cravings for chocolate. Will they ever go away?

Ellen

You get free prescriptions, whether the problem is diabetes related or not. And free eye tests. I don't feel at all gloomy about having diabetes, there are plenty worse things to have!

hails

It confuses me when people say its the end of this and the end of that. Im a type one, I eat chocolate, sweets, fixxy drinks now and again... everything and my HB1AC is 6.5. I am 5 foot 8 and weight 10 and a half stone. Everything in moderation I say!

Old school diabetes is your cant touch any sweets or chocolate.

Lindy-lou

....... the end of my jam butties for lunch :oops: BUT on the positive side it's a wake-up call - I am overwieight and needed to cut down on the sweet and fatty foods. So I am going to be fitter and healthier, and get regular check-ups that I wouldn't normally have had. :D

Carol11

To all of you chocaholics. I have just 1 square of a really good, dark chocolate like Lindt is enough to satisfy that craving for a day. And its only 2g of carb. Carol

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Carol11 said:
To all of you chocaholics. I have just 1 square of a really good, dark chocolate like Lindt is enough to satisfy that craving for a day. And its only 2g of carb. Carol

One square :shock: :shock: not on your life :shock: :shock: If I do succumb to the lure of chocolate I eat it after a meal.

Marz Barr

to lindy-lou,
tesco do a really nice reduced sugar jam in about 4 flavours I especially like the strawberry and its not rubbery like some diabetic jams :D

manofkent99

Well said, Marz Barr
Tesco (and Sainsbury too) market very tasty reduced sugar jams which really are low sugar and do not contain too much artificial sweetener.
Beware the so called "sugar free" which I have seen in garden centres. They do not have as much sugar as ordinary jams but do, nevertheless, contain quite a high percentage of sugar.
I complained bitterly to the manager of one such place and his reply was "it's very good for diabetics since it contains only fructose and not sucrose". It was quite clear that he hadn't got a clue.

Best wishes to all

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
Tesco's No Added Sugar chocolate bars are actually REALLY nice!!

jjackson999

i love jelly babies and had some in my cupboard when i was first diagnosed,i always remember handing them over to my sister in law as i knew she loved them too. :evil: it broke my heart,that was 7yrs ago and i still remember it as if it was yesterday.in fact the mere mention of her name and i think of my jelly babies. :cry: still they went to a good home :p funny the things we remember lol! :wink:

Sweet3x

an end to sugar puffs, coke and red bull. Not that I ever had them, anyway. But when I was a kid, I always vowed that I'd do all the stuff I wasn't allowed to by mum when I was grown up.
This included eating sweets in the street, eating sugary cereals and drinking proper coke.
I can eat sweets now - there is a fantastic shop in Stafford with a whole shelf of sugar free sweets, including jelly babies,btw.
Coke - well, it's just not something I actually really want to try, but well, I feel that I can't ever, now.
Red Bull - smells disgusting, but same as for coke. I'll never get to try it.
Sugar Puffs - this really hurts :( I had them, once, at my cousins, and loved them. This was before I got diabetes. Never had them since. Wouldn't even consider having them, either.

By the way, playing the 'you never let me eat sweets in the street when I was a kid, and now I won't ever be able to' worked really well at getting my own way, sometimes :D Mum felt (still does, although obviously she's no need to) guilty about that for years. (I wasn't that mean, by the way - I didn't actually hold it against her or play on it. But it was great as a young adult to bring that up.)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Believe me,you not missing anything,not drinking Red Bull! As they say up here,'It's bogging'! :lol:

Tazybird

:) Only been diagnosed for 7 weeks, finding it all hard at the moment. Used to be a real food monster, loved it. Now having to get used to bulgar wheat & couccous!!?? Hypos are a good excuse to be naughty though, yes....2 bits of chocy...heaven!!!

AmberAnn

Only got type 2 so haven't had any hypos ( do type 2s get hypos???)...At the mo' am heavily into losing weight..but being a pretty big older lady..need to lose weight on a steady basis to avoid the flabby bits forming....What do I miss sweet wise...just a disgusting habit of eating a bar of chocolate by dipping it into a hot mug of tea and slurpling the melted chocolate down...( darn its made my mouth water)...still I have promised myself that treat( maybe) when my weight is down to my target... :lol:

Marz Barr

Hi AmberAnn yes type 2,s do have hypos and as for only being a type 2 in my eyes it dosent lessen your condition and we are all members of the diadetic club

ROX7

i agree with Hails. It is very old school to cut out everything. I am Type 1 too and agree with "everything in moderation" - there is no reason for us to cut out chocolate or whatever we enjoy!!

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
Diabetes is the end of reading other cook's recipes.......

And the beginning of starting my own. Yum. :D