Levels for a NON diabetic?

Cined

Hello guys.

I'm an 18 year old male, and for the past few months I've been showing signs of low blood sugar. I've been feeling hungry a lot and feel as if I'm shaking between meals. But I am diagnosed with Anxiety and it worries me stiff thinking I may be diabetic/hypoglycemic.

So, I purchased a home glucose test and decided to monitor it my self.

I tested my blood sugar level when I had the symptoms come on, and it checked out at 5.8 . And this was when I hadn't ate for a couple of hours.

2 Hours after I ate a meal it checked back at 6.6.

This morning, I checked it as soon as I woke up and it was at 6.6. An hour before I went to sleep, I had a bowl of cereal.

Are these results too high? Please help, this is scaring me. :(

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Cined.
Welcome to the forum.

We do not diagnose on this forum. If you are concerned then please go and see your GP.

Cined

Fair enough, but can you give me the levels for what a non diabetic should be? Because I can't seem to find these values anywhere on the internet. I think my levels come across as pre-diabetes.

jskaife

You blood levels are pretty much perfect

You have absolutley nothing to worry about

My grandad did a blood test once and it was 3.3, he felt absolutely fine
Other people in my family have all tested there blood and it varies between 3 and 7 generally

But as said in the other post, if your really concerned go back to your GP
However they wouldn't diagnose you with Diabetes unless you blood sugars were erratically low.

Looks to me like your blood sugars are being kept under control by your pancreas just fine

HOWEVER

When I was little, way before I was diagnosed with diabetes I also felt shaky between meals.
I don't want to scare you maybe you are showing extreme early signs
Maybe not.........

Keep us updated

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
See, why did you bother testing when you don't know what the numbers mean?
I'm not trying to be negative, but if you don;t know the normal range, what would the numbers tell you?

Your results are absolutely normal.
If you feel you have a problem, go to a doctor.

Cined

Celtic.Piskie said:
See, why did you bother testing when you don't know what the numbers mean?
I'm not trying to be negative, but if you don;t know the normal range, what would the numbers tell you?

Your results are absolutely normal.
If you feel you have a problem, go to a doctor.

I do sort of know what the numbers mean; I did do a bit of research and try to learn about it as much as possible. I was generally under the idea that 4-7 was normal. Anything lower or higher was bad.

I hate going to the doctor but I'm going to have to go soon, tested about 25 mins or so after I drank a sugary drink and ate some wholemeal toast, and my levels were at 8.0.

Making me pretty anxious now.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you're worried over these numbers, I'd hate to think what else you worry about. Your life must be one permanent worry. If you don't want to see your GP you could always phone up the diabetes clinic at your local hospital. Go to the hospital website, and search for 'diabetes'.

There are a lot of factors that can make people feel shakey between meals... too much caffeine (or other stimulant), too little sleep, excessive exercise, food intolerance?

I remember feeling shakey when I was a kid... and sorting it out be eating some food. That was 20 years before diagnosis and I don't see that as an early sign. Just the human body behaving normally.

Cined

Yeah well that's pretty. I have really bad health anxiety and have done for ages. I'm trying not to worry about this now. I feel hungry at the mo, just tested and my levels were at 6.6.

I've been reading around various sites and tbh they're all telling me different things with some saying 6.6 isn't normal, some say 6.6 is normal. :|

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Cined,if you are suffering from health anxiety please go and see a professional!!Asking round the internet is a certain way to increase your anxiety not decrease it as everyone thinks they are an expert!!Please go and see a real expert who can run all the tests you need to help you find out what is wrong with you.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
To me those numbers suggest a degree of glucose intolerance and you're right to be looking into it.
6.6 first thing is higher than it ought to be, but those numbers should improve pretty quickly with simple dietary changes. Breakfast cereal isn't a recipe for good blood sugars at any time of day for example.

All the best,

fergus

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I have seen a small research program for non-diabetic blood sugars. Sorry I can't provide it for you here. A non-diabetic will still have times outside the 4-7 range but for only brief periods. As a non-diabetic I've eaten from the golden arches and had a bsl of 8.9 post 1 hour. This would still be considered normal but shows that some foods should only be eaten very rarely and not as a normal diet. My average bsl would be about 5.ish for the majority or the day.

Most people spend way too much time worrying about stuff that never happens and are still completely unprepared for bad stuff that does happen. Worry less and get out and enjoy life.

Jen.