What is a pump?

Billy369

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've herd about them but was wondering if it was just used in America because my doctor has never even mentioned it and at the moment I'm injecting 4 times a day and this does look easier.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Insulin pumps are used in the US. You're right about not having to have injections, but it's no easier than injections as you need to monitor, adjust doses, count carbs, etc. You need to be committed and prepared to test lots. it takes a certain level of commitment to use a pump.

Why not ask your doctor about it if you're interested and see what they say.

Reactions: 2 people

Billy369

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I was just looking up on them and I play a lot of football and I noticed that you have to have them attached to you most of the time so I think I'll give it a miss anyway.. Thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You're welcome :) I can't comment on the sport thing but I do know people wear them for some sports, but obviously they won't be suitable for all sports. I take mine off temporarily when I go ice skating, for example (because I'm rubbish at it and keep crashing into things!)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Yeah I was just looking up on them and I play a lot of football and I noticed that you have to have them attached to you most of the time so I think I'll give it a miss anyway.. Thanks
There's a pump called the omnipod which is tubeless have a look at that and see what you think of it :)

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can stay without your pump attached for an hour without any problem. I swim and I stay without pump for more than an hour. If you search in YouTube there's a video of a diabetic guy who play football professionally and is a pump user.

Billy369

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can stay without your pump attached for an hour without any problem. I swim and I stay without pump for more than an hour. If you search in YouTube there's a video of a diabetic guy who play football professionally and is a pump user.
Ok cheers I'll check it out