How many stressful events can you deal with at once....

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just wondered how many stressful events anyone can deal with at once......what started out as a busy and potentially stressful week is fast descending into a very stressful week / fortnight.....and it is only Wednesday!.....just sitting here wondering what else life can throw at me next...

....somehow yesterday my partner managed to fall off a chair (why he was even attempting to stand on the chair I cannot begin to fathom) and is now effectively confined to bed with damaged knee ligaments....I have to work for the next three days (extra pressure as being accompanied / assessed) and then need to go to London on Sunday for three days to accompany my son to a medical procedure (potentially saving someone's life)....plus preparation for an awards presentation ceremony the following week and all that entails....could really have done without having to deal with anymore just now....

....would say that I am looking forward to the holiday we have planned in October but just worried about how long damaged knee ligaments take to heal....and if I should be contacting travel insurance company in the meantime....

Am sure that there are people out there having to deal with far worse things so sorry for the moan.....:sorry:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I'm sure you'll cope.......
upload_2015-9-16_18-1-6.png

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Just wondered how many stressful events anyone can deal with at once......what started out as a busy and potentially stressful week is fast descending into a very stressful week / fortnight.....and it is only Wednesday!.....just sitting here wondering what else life can throw at me next...

....somehow yesterday my partner managed to fall off a chair (why he was even attempting to stand on the chair I cannot begin to fathom) and is now effectively confined to bed with damaged knee ligaments....I have to work for the next three days (extra pressure as being accompanied / assessed) and then need to go to London on Sunday for three days to accompany my son to a medical procedure (potentially saving someone's life)....plus preparation for an awards presentation ceremony the following week and all that entails....could really have done without having to deal with anymore just now....

....would say that I am looking forward to the holiday we have planned in October but just worried about how long damaged knee ligaments take to heal....and if I should be contacting travel insurance company in the meantime....

Am sure that there are people out there having to deal with far worse things so sorry for the moan.....:sorry:
It would be a good idea to contact the travel insurance company I think.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Funny you should ask since I once carried out an experiment on work issues. I found that sometimes someone would ask me a question on a subject that I had not progressed and may have even totally forgotten about. I was not keeping all the plates spinning. These work issues were not as serious as injury or life affecting events but it demonstrated that my brain had a limit to its ability to juggle.

I got a small notepad and wrote one subject to a page in order to record progress and thought that I had found the answer. It seems that when the number of topics get into the low teens then I start to misfire. Sixteen seemed to be an absolute limit.

I made a joke about it at the time. I said that stress did not consist of running from pillar to post but just standing in the middle of them and oscillating on the spot.

Those were days when I was younger and fitter. Probably I could only manage about three things now. Who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be a good idea to contact the travel insurance company I think.
Definitely - in my experience, if an insurer can possibly wriggle out of coughing up then they will do so. Make it clear that you are not, at this stage, cancelling your holiday or making a claim but that you are informing them of something that may lead to either or both. If your partner has a relapse on holiday and needs treatment or repatriation of some kind, I can just see them refusing the claim because you failed to disclose a material fact.....

Having said all of which, I hope you manage to get away and that you have a great holiday :)

Reactions: 2 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You'll get through it, in the space of 8 weeks last September my hubby lost his job, I broke my leg and injured my back and spent 3 weeks on the sofa, them my mum died suddenly and then my mother in law died, I'm still here and just about out the other side - you may think you won't but one day you will realise you have!

I had to cancel a holiday because it started the day of my mums funeral, I didn't claim in the end because a death certificate wasn't enough for them even though she died in hospital in ITU. Disgusting that they wanted her full medical history so @CatLadyNZ is right tell your insurance everything as if you do need a claim they will try to wriggle out of it.

Sending you hugs x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel that if the accident had been filmed? not only would would it strengthen your case with the insurance company.
You could also send the footage into "You've been framed" & claim 200 quid as well...;)

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I feel that if the accident had been filmed? not only would would it strengthen your case with the insurance company.
You could also send the footage into "You've been framed" & claim 200 quid as well...;)
@Jaylee ...unfortunately I was not there at the time of the incident so couldn't get any documentary evidence.....I guess asking for a reconstruction of events is out of the question...:D

pmailkeey

You get on with your life, abandon him and get the district nurses to call in and see him for three days - no problem (provided you wash your hands of him)

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
. I was not keeping all the plates spinning.
I made a joke about it at the time. I said that stress did not consist of running from pillar to post but just standing in the middle of them and oscillating on the spot.
@Squire Fulwood .....had already thought of it as plate spinning.....love the idea of oscillating on the spot though...:)....will oscillate as and when required....

You get on with your life, abandon him and get the district nurses to call in and see him for three days - no problem (provided you wash your hands of him)
@pmailkeey ....spoke with GP who offered this as potential option....however, have made arrangements with neighbour to leave key in case of emergency so feel more reassured that everything will be looked after while I am away....is good to know that there are people out there that can be relied on when needed :)

There's a my captain remark I could use if your going on a cruise...? ;)
@Jaylee .....is not a cruise....has never really appealed .....it is an island though if that counts...still hopeful that things will improve in next week or so and still be able to go....at least at the moment he is doing everything he is told to get better....would say this makes a change to normal so perhaps there is a positive that has come out of this whole episode...:)