Tiredness after three weeks of low carb diet

fredericmarcel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel tired after overcoming the obstacles of constipation and carb flu. My ketostixs show that I am in ketosis and the book I read on the Art and science of low carb performance said that after two weeks, one should feel more energetic than before. This is far for being the case and, though I do not feel as week as during the carb flu, I still do not feel very energetic.

Is this normal and should I be patient and hang on? Or should I worry?

Have you had a similar experience?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have and I am. I keep reading about how much better you feel in keto. Cant say I feel any differently. Better sleep erm I'm still up at 5 am. I had rotten keto flu too. Plus I haven't lost any weight. So now I'm 'doing' the Newcastle - 1 week in and still no weight loss.
I'm stumped as a lot of people are who I've told this to.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are you eating? Are you eating the correct proportions and quantities of carbs, fats and protein for your size and activity levels? If you're not eating enough extra fats to cover the fuel you were eating previously in the form of carbs, then you may well be feeling tired.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

fredericmarcel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My weight is 176 pounds (76 kg). How much fat should I eat?
Can you give me examples for one day?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you taken on board all the advice you've already received regarding extra fats?

I don't know anything about you or your lifestyle, so i can't possibly answer your question, but in general you should be eating enough to make you feel full. Everyone as different requirements, so it's something you have work out for yourself. You can use one of the various low carb nutritional calculators such as this one.

Robbity

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you give us a typical days meals and exercise, maybe we can spot something. For example, do you put some butter on your veggies, or cook your mushrooms in butter? If you eat some fruit, how are you eating it? With full fat yogurts or cream? Are you eating cheese, avocados, nuts, eggs? Cutting down the carbs to a minimum means you must increase your fats accordingly or you will feel tired and lacking in energy. By how much is up to you.

reidpj

You may be in ketosis, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you are fully ketone adapted - which can take up to 6 weeks

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
@fredericmarcel I sympathise with you, I'm also feeling tired it's come on in the past couple of days, not sure exactly what's causing it. I have suspicions it could be due to increased exercise and I'm not fully ketone adapted either yet, so I'm increasing fat intake in measured amounts to see if it helps.
At the same time I'm keeping track of my deficit calories for weight loss. It could be that I've dipped a little too low.
It's a balancing act, adjust one thing, it affects other areas.

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed on June 8th Type 2 and the next day I changed my diet to very low carb - and didn't increase fat too much because I need to lose 4 stone in weight. I was tired at first, but drinking more water throughout the day really helped. Then I started to build up my exercise, walking briskly for 5 mins, then a coup;e of days later to 10 mins and now I can go for 45 mins and not feel exhausted. Ironically, I have more energy after exercise these days and the BS levels are lower too. I've also lost 24 pounds to date.... and being in the lowest 'stone bracket' I can remember for ages. I think it does take time to adapt - but I'm not sure what being "fully ketone adapted" means :confused:

reidpj

I was diagnosed on June 8th Type 2 and the next day I changed my diet to very low carb - and didn't increase fat too much because I need to lose 4 stone in weight. I was tired at first, but drinking more water throughout the day really helped. Then I started to build up my exercise, walking briskly for 5 mins, then a coup;e of days later to 10 mins and now I can go for 45 mins and not feel exhausted. Ironically, I have more energy after exercise these days and the BS levels are lower too. I've also lost 24 pounds to date.... and being in the lowest 'stone bracket' I can remember for ages. I think it does take time to adapt - but I'm not sure what being "fully ketone adapted" means :confused:

This may help:

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
@fredericmarcel more salt in your diet? It's worth a try.

I just had a glass of salty water and an hour later I'm feeling a lot better. It wasn't pleasant but neither was feeling dizzy and tired.
I checked my sodium intake over the past couple of days and it was a lot lower than usual, added that I'd done a couple of workouts on those days, sweated loads.

I hope it works for you.