Frequent urination, could it be diabetes?

bomba

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hello!

I am first time here and don´t know yet whether I might have diabetes. Recently I´ve been feeling frequent urge to urinate, probably around 6-8 times a day. Sometimes I release just "few drops" but most of the time I seem to urinate in normal quantities. The color of urine is light yellow. As frequent urination is a symptom of diabetes and I´ve been leading quite sedentary lifestyle for around a year now, I am concerned. I am just 21 year old, never concerned myself as being overweight (although my historical BMI has been around 27, but recently it dropped to 25 as I have been on a weight-losing diet), because I used to have massive leg muscle mass from weightlifting, yeah sure I have some body fat present but it´s not that much. I used to eat quite a lot of sweets in childhood but recently I´ve been consciously cutting down on sugar because I know how destructive this can be in long-term for one´s health. So diet-wise I´ve been picky but I tend to sit a lot during the day. Sometimes I don´t move any bit all day long, but lately I´ve been doing active sports for 3-4h/week and generally leading more active lifestyle. Apart from frequent urination I don´t have any other classic diabetes symptoms like feeling thirsty, overeating, feeling groggy, but I´ve been bit depressed probably cause of other issues in my current life. Also I don´t belong to any direct diabetes risk groups.

I am very concerned whether it could be diabetes. My grandmother seems to have a mild diabetes, but I could never track down when did it start and how is she managing it. No other family member has diabetes. Approx. 6 months ago I had a regular check-up at GP and a simple blood sugar test confirmed that my blood sugar was OK. Today I made an appointment to my GP to test for diabetes by having a more complex examination, though. I am scared of diabetes as it´s probably one of the worst chronic diseases accompanied by wide array of possible complications. And unlike cancer, there´s no cure for diabetes, the only thing one can do is to manage it. To me it feels like inevitable death sentence but with a lot of suffering involved. :(Today I´ve also read from a research that complications are much more likely to occur in younger people with diabetes as it takes more aggressive form and this freaks me out. Suppose I had diabetes at this young age, what would be my life expectancy?

Sorry for long and chaotic post.

fred1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe best to make an apt to see your gp. Frequent urination can also be a sign of a urine infection. I am no doctor or have any medical experience, but you do seem to be quite concerned that you may have diabetes. See your gp or nurse and explain your symptoms and take from there.

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The urine infection could be a sign of the diabetes though, or another problem. You should get your urine tested.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hello!

I am first time here and don´t know yet whether I might have diabetes. Recently I´ve been feeling frequent urge to urinate, probably around 6-8 times a day. Sometimes I release just "few drops" but most of the time I seem to urinate in normal quantities. The color of urine is light yellow. As frequent urination is a symptom of diabetes and I´ve been leading quite sedentary lifestyle for around a year now, I am concerned. I am just 21 year old, never concerned myself as being overweight (although my historical BMI has been around 27, but recently it dropped to 25 as I have been on a weight-losing diet), because I used to have massive leg muscle mass from weightlifting, yeah sure I have some body fat present but it´s not that much. I used to eat quite a lot of sweets in childhood but recently I´ve been consciously cutting down on sugar because I know how destructive this can be in long-term for one´s health. So diet-wise I´ve been picky but I tend to sit a lot during the day. Sometimes I don´t move any bit all day long, but lately I´ve been doing active sports for 3-4h/week and generally leading more active lifestyle. Apart from frequent urination I don´t have any other classic diabetes symptoms like feeling thirsty, overeating, feeling groggy, but I´ve been bit depressed probably cause of other issues in my current life. Also I don´t belong to any direct diabetes risk groups.

I am very concerned whether it could be diabetes. My grandmother seems to have a mild diabetes, but I could never track down when did it start and how is she managing it. No other family member has diabetes. Approx. 6 months ago I had a regular check-up at GP and a simple blood sugar test confirmed that my blood sugar was OK. Today I made an appointment to my GP to test for diabetes by having a more complex examination, though. I am scared of diabetes as it´s probably one of the worst chronic diseases accompanied by wide array of possible complications. And unlike cancer, there´s no cure for diabetes, the only thing one can do is to manage it. To me it feels like inevitable death sentence but with a lot of suffering involved. :(Today I´ve also read from a research that complications are much more likely to occur in younger people with diabetes as it takes more aggressive form and this freaks me out. Suppose I had diabetes at this young age, what would be my life expectancy?

Sorry for long and chaotic post.
Hi and welcome to the forum

Please try not to worry because if you have diabetes it is not a terrible illness, it's quite treatable and there is no reason why you couldn't avoid complications by taking some simple actions.

There are 2 main types of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes usually affects overweight people from middle age onwards and can usually be controlled by changing one's diet and doing moderate exercise. Type 1 diabetes can happen at any age and it doesn't matter what the person's weight is. It tends to have several symptoms when it is diagnosed. It is usually treated with insulin injections. Both types of diabetes can cause complications if the illness is not managed. People can live into their 80s without complications if they manage the condition well.

Based on your symptoms I think it is extremely unlikely you have diabetes, but the blood test will tell you one way or another. It's possible you have a bladder infection (which is easily treated with antibiotics) or you might have some other issue with your urinary system that is also treatable. Please try not to worry.

bomba

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thanks a lot for your thoughts and encouraging words (special thanks to CatladyNZ, saw your earlier posts on this forum too and you are very good at calming down people :) )! I will get it tested soon and I've been thinking frequent urination could be because of stress issues? I don't mind visiting restroom more often but just want to make sure it's not a serious illness.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Thanks a lot for your thoughts and encouraging words (special thanks to CatladyNZ, saw your earlier posts on this forum too and you are very good at calming down people :) )! I will get it tested soon and I've been thinking frequent urination could be because of stress issues? I don't mind visiting restroom more often but just want to make sure it's not a serious illness.
Aw, thanks bomba :)

Stress can affect the bladder for sure. Drinking more water may help, as it dilutes the urine. When my bladder is playing up I take a product called Cranclense, which has cranberry juice and baking soda in it. Works a treat. There is also a product called Ural, which works well but doesn't taste so nice. I'd add lemon juice to it.

I have been diagnosed with irritable bladder syndrome, which I think is a combination of the lining of the bladder being oversensitive and the muscles being too tight at times. It makes me want to urinate urgently and can also mean the bladder doesn't empty completely.

If you still have bladder problems after your doctor has ruled out the obvious possible causes, you might want to ask for a referral to a urologist for further investigation.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

6-8 times isn't excessive and much will depend on how much fluid you drink, also food items like veg contain water which we don't always take into account.

However I think your doing the right thing seeing your gp and hopefully all will be fine, you could also take the opportunity to discuss your stress issues with them and see if they can help in any way.

Best wishes.

Reactions: 3 people

bomba

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thanks a lot guys! I've had anxiety issues in the past and this ****** can take so many different forms - I remember having the strangest symptoms that dreaded me a lot but the next day symptoms vanished and suddenly I felt superb! There was an episode few years ago when I felt extremely tired, thirsty and craved food and then I suspected diabetes too. I didn't go to gp because in 2 days I felt better and made stress a culprit in all of that. Sometimes weird stuff happens. My body may feel stressed lately as I've been lacking sleep quite often, I work on getting my sleeping schedule in check.

Oh and if you want you can tell me about your diabetes story, I would love to know. Cheers!