Cheap test strips anywhere?

sparkyrich

Hi, I've been using a test meter and strips that were using space in my mothers cupboard (she keeps getting sent upgrade models but won't change from the steam powered one she's used for years).

Now I'm coming to the end of the supplied strips and I've been looking round at prices and...well, it's made my bottom twitch at the prices, to be frank.

I can buy a new meter for under a tenner at Asda/Tescos/Lloyds/Boots/wherever but the strips are a small fortune. Pay more for the meter and the strips seem to be a little cheaper. I know I could go down the medical centre / prescription route but my bunch aren't keen on handing them out unless you're on insulin and, to be honest, I feel kind of guilty at getting all my meds free already so I'd like to stand the tests myself if I can.

Anybody found a cheapish brand? I've seen them on ebay but aren't sure about buying them from the US or Poland and the UK based ones sometimes seem to go for more than the retail price?? It also doesn't sit easy with me that presumably the UK ones are being auctioned off by folk who've had them on prescription (and should be using them themselves).

Rich

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Caresens N strips £12.75/50 strips, (meter 9.95) google spirit healthcare
Abbott frestyle £14.33/50 strips (free meter if ask) google abbbott

didi

Hi sparkyrich

Yep the strips can work out bottomwtwitchingly expensive if you want to keep your BG under control by monitoring diet, what foods cause high readings bla bla bla. Your lot not being too keen to give you strips is down to the cost. If you are T2 and on medication you ARE entitled to strips. Not sure about if you are only on metformin, but if you are on gliclazide you are most def entitled to strips to monitor for hypos. I have recently battled to get my strips, but armed with info from here and proof that I am doing my best to get my diabetes under control, I was given 50 for now and the possibility of getting them on repeat. As said so many times here, monitoring your BG is ESSENTIAL in managing your diabetes.

Now, as for feeling guilty about getting meds for free on the NHS ..... Diabetes is not something YOU caused yourself ( unlike drug addicts who have a CHOICE and are handed out free stuff etc. I wonder how much it costs the NHS to treat drunken revelers who go on the town, get sozzled, land up in drunken brawls and need treatment etc), however, when I was first diagnosed I was somewhat non compliant in that I was getting all the free meds, help, but didnt take the steps to make an effort to modify my lifestyle I felt guilty too. I have since become more proactive and am doing my utmost to control things like diet and lifestyle. I contribute NI , so I dont feel guilty about getting my meds and whatever else needed in order to keep my diabetes under control. Having limbs amputated and other complications as a result of badly managed diabetes will cost the NHS a hell of a lot more in the long run.

Just my thoughts like :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Rich,

I would try and get them on prescription first rather than having to buy them, as didi says there no sense in feeling guilty.

Nigel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
GlucoRx Blood Glucose Monitoring System

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GlucoRx-Blood-Glucose-Monitoring-System/dp/B0043PFVA2/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_2

try this one less then £5.00

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi Sparkyrich, I totally agree with Didi, you are ENTITLED to free strips to be able to control your diabetes and prevent complications if you can them. Also Lloyds pharmacies are at the moment giving away free Acuchek meters !!, Debra x

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi sparkyrich

Yep the strips can work out bottomwtwitchingly expensive if you want to keep your BG under control by monitoring diet, what foods cause high readings bla bla bla. Your lot not being too keen to give you strips is down to the cost. If you are T2 and on medication you ARE entitled to strips. Not sure about if you are only on metformin, but if you are on gliclazide you are most def entitled to strips to monitor for hypos. I have recently battled to get my strips, but armed with info from here and proof that I am doing my best to get my diabetes under control, I was given 50 for now and the possibility of getting them on repeat. As said so many times here, monitoring your BG is ESSENTIAL in managing your diabetes.

Now, as for feeling guilty about getting meds for free on the NHS ..... Diabetes is not something YOU caused yourself ( unlike drug addicts who have a CHOICE and are handed out free stuff etc. I wonder how much it costs the NHS to treat drunken revelers who go on the town, get sozzled, land up in drunken brawls and need treatment etc), however, when I was first diagnosed I was somewhat non compliant in that I was getting all the free meds, help, but didnt take the steps to make an effort to modify my lifestyle I felt guilty too. I have since become more proactive and am doing my utmost to control things like diet and lifestyle. I contribute NI , so I dont feel guilty about getting my meds and whatever else needed in order to keep my diabetes under control. Having limbs amputated and other complications as a result of badly managed diabetes will cost the NHS a hell of a lot more in the long run.

Just my thoughts like :D
Well said.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am coming to the UK for a 3 month holiday, from my home in NZ and use a Caresens N to monitor my glucose level. Particularly important when travelling as it is hard to control when one eats (particularly with time zone changes) and what one eats. I need when in the UK to get more lances and test strips - I am more than happy to pay for them - but I don't know where in the UK to buy them. In NZ I can buy them in my local pharmacy/chemist. So can I simply go to somewhere like Boots or Lloyds and buy them? Can I get them in the medical section of a supermarket? Or do I have to order them and if so from where?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Boots or Lloyds and buy them? Can I get them in the medical section of a supermarket? Or do I have to order them and if so from where?
With the various chemist /supermarkets I would imagine it depends on which meters they sell, I can't remember seeing any strips for a Caresens N, but I don't use that meter so probability wouldn't notice them anyway.
You may be lucky and come across some but your best bet would be to get them online at Amazon or spirit-health.
https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/products/caresens-n-test-strips?variant=19264017989689

Reactions: filly

Tribal61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've been using a test meter and strips that were using space in my mothers cupboard (she keeps getting sent upgrade models but won't change from the steam powered one she's used for years).

Now I'm coming to the end of the supplied strips and I've been looking round at prices and...well, it's made my bottom twitch at the prices, to be frank.

I can buy a new meter for under a tenner at Asda/Tescos/Lloyds/Boots/wherever but the strips are a small fortune. Pay more for the meter and the strips seem to be a little cheaper. I know I could go down the medical centre / prescription route but my bunch aren't keen on handing them out unless you're on insulin and, to be honest, I feel kind of guilty at getting all my meds free already so I'd like to stand the tests myself if I can.

Anybody found a cheapish brand? I've seen them on ebay but aren't sure about buying them from the US or Poland and the UK based ones sometimes seem to go for more than the retail price?? It also doesn't sit easy with me that presumably the UK ones are being auctioned off by folk who've had them on prescription (and should be using them themselves).

Rich
Take a look here:

MuttNJeff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am coming to the UK for a 3 month holiday, from my home in NZ and use a Caresens N to monitor my glucose level. Particularly important when travelling as it is hard to control when one eats (particularly with time zone changes) and what one eats. I need when in the UK to get more lances and test strips - I am more than happy to pay for them - but I don't know where in the UK to buy them. In NZ I can buy them in my local pharmacy/chemist. So can I simply go to somewhere like Boots or Lloyds and buy them? Can I get them in the medical section of a supermarket? Or do I have to order them and if so from where?
For lancets I think you can only get them on prescription in the UK, I assume you would need to find a GP who will see you as a private patient. For test strips availability varies greatly - on two occasions in the past 5+ years I've seen one brand of strips in my local large Tesco (different brand each time). No idea if your meter is supported in this country. Sorry.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
For lancets I think you can only get them on prescription in the UK, I assume you would need to find a GP who will see you as a private patient.

I'm skeptical on that, since plenty of T2s and prediabetics fund their own testing gear in the UK.

You should be able to buy lancets at the same time you buy your test strips
eg

Having said that, I am such a lancet miser that I could make a pack of 100 (or less) last me for 3 months quite easily.... :)

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For lancets I think you can only get them on prescription in the UK, I assume you would need to find a GP who will see you as a private patient. For test strips availability varies greatly - on two occasions in the past 5+ years I've seen one brand of strips in my local large Tesco (different brand each time). No idea if your meter is supported in this country. Sorry.
In the UK, lancets and the spring carrier are available to buy via chemists or Amazon. I buy test strips (for a Gluco RXQ) from a local chemist and they order them in for me as needed - they don't carry a stock. One of the other chemists nearby sells more modern Gluco brand meters, but the test strips are twice as expensive.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm skeptical on that, since plenty of T2s and prediabetics fund their own testing gear in the UK.

You should be able to buy lancets at the same time you buy your test strips
eg

Having said that, I am such a lancet miser that I could make a pack of 100 (or less) last me for 3 months quite easily.... :)
I'm still on my first pack 3 years in!

Reactions: lorib64