Hi, I'm a Noobie!

drillingcat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed this last week with T2 diabetes and have since spent the rest of the time since hearing the news in a spiral of self-loathing. Which isn't pleasant, as I'm sure you'll all know!
It was found completely by accident due to me having high blood pressure and my doctor decided on the off chance to do a full MOT, and lo and behold: too much sugar in my urine. :shock:

So now I have a complete lifestyle change upon me and I'm finding it really difficult to accept. We have no family history of diabetes (apart from a very far removed cousin) so it's come as a shock to us all. Thus far I've been told to control it with diet, I have an appointment with a nurse tomorrow who is going to give me the full discussion and I have been told to lose weight within 6 months - and I'm only slightly overweight!

It's just the annoyance of having to cut everything I like from my diet and what was more surprising was when my doctor discovered the high sugar she thought I was an alcoholic and I barely ever drink - oh, the irony!!

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say hi to you all and I look forward to talking with like-minded people. :)

ChocFish

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Yes its a hell of a shock to be diagnosed with diabetes, but its not all as bleak as you fear it is, learn as much as you can about diabetes, there are some excellent links in here to keep you busy for ages, get yourself a tester and see how the different foods affect your blood glucose levels, this is important because we are all different, some can eat porridge and it keeps their levels steady others shoot up like rockets.

You may be surprised in finding that you dont have to make drastic changes to your diet and lifestyle in general, I mean I dont know what your diet consists of at the moment and if you exercise at all and so on.
On the positive side this is at least one illness that you yourself can achieve control over, and believe you me it can be done, its trial and error at first but with education and determination you can sort it.
One good thing in your favour is that you are already facing up to the diagnosis, I wasnt so clever and ignored diabetes for years and paid the price for it too, I have been extremely lucky to be able to reverse complications though.

Be aware though of miracle cures that are nothing but money making scams; as you learn more and test more you will eventually find out what works best for you.

Karen x

drillingcat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Karen, nice to meet you!

Thanks for your words of support, it's good to know that other people are going through what I'm going through and that we can all support one another.

It's been a major shock - now I just have to find a form of exercise that I actually enjoy which I'll be happy to do! :D

ChocFish

Hi again, I am sure that other members will reply to you as well, and you know at first all the advice will seem overwhelming, but just relax and pick out the best bits for you, its all trial and error in the beginning and dont worry too much complications start from long term uncontrolled diabetes, not from short term high readings, unless you go super high or you have a hypo.

As for exercise, yes it is very important to find something that you actually enjoy doing, and go in there gradually not a sudden burst of activity when you are not really used to it, gently does it, and remember even fidgeting while you are watching TV is better than nothing.

Another thing is to try and cut out transfats, but this goes for everyone not just diabetics - apart from that just be good to yourself, you have just had a major shock and with every day you are going to learn a bit more building up confidence as you go and therefore losing your fears.

And do ask for advice or explanations in here, no matter how silly it may seem to you, and let go of your emotions too, its all about sharing in here, everyone cares, trust me.

Karen x

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya drillingcat,
welcome ,i have type 1 and for me finding out as much as possible really helps me,its great in ere and i also did a uni course on diabetes to learn more, good luck for the future
amanda :wink:

drillingcat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Amanda

Thanks for your warm welcome!
I'm probably going to be doing a course myself, the nurse is going to tell me all about it tomorrow. :wink:

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya,
it might be the DESMOND course , i think theres some links on ere about it, i did mine with the open university as they dont do DESMOND and DAFNE in my area,try not to worry too much,u may end up managing with just diet and exercise which really is just healthy living :wink:

Paul50

Hi Noobie,

I have been type 2 diet for almost 5 years, and when I changed my diet I lost over 2 stone, mine was also found by accident, by a doctor who really did not have a clue what he is doing.

One of the best forms of exercise for diabetes is walking, and I do this all the time, as this helps bring the blood sugars down.

What also would be good for you is to join a local support group run by Diabetes UK, where you will get help and support from other members.

I admit it is a shock to some people, but with a Healthy Lifestyle you will be able to control this condition.

Graham55

Hi Noobie,
First welcome to our club, YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
Right now you will be in shock, all the do this and dont do thats comming from all directions.
One thing you must do is make DAM sure you have your eye photo done, you dont want to go blind, Ok ok ok dont panic, This photo will make sure you get treatment early and make sure this wont happen.
Take a look at food lables, oh shock, sugar and fat all over the place, keep looking there is always a lower sugar and fat version, I changed to Canderall from sugar, I find it even sweeter than sugar, they even do a brown sugar that is great in good coffee.
Even the way you cook food makes a diferance so you dont have to cut out all the foods you enjoy,
After your under control you will find there is no food you CANT have, but not all the time.
Get a meter there so cheep and test do something like eat walk then test again after and see what happens, even try half of larger mine drops like a stone if i do.
The best thing to do right now is STOP, take a very deep breath, remember this aint going away so deal with it, there is a great deal of help out there and I`m sure nobody will mind but another great place for help is Diabetes uk.
Stick around, your one of us now, Test and ask questions even if you think its a stupid one just ask it.
Graham55

drillingcat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you to you all for your brilliant and open responses.

i will no doubt be frequenting on here for advice and support from here on in!

:D

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Can't really welcome you to the club - but welcome to the forum. I was diagnosed 10 years ago, & the lifestyle changes - mainly diet - have been beneficial.

20 years ago I was 49, overweight & inactive - couldn't run for a bus without being shattered. I had to do something to correct that or it was just downhill healthwise. I joined a tennis club. When I was diagnosed, I went into a state of shock with all the info about diabetic complications. Now I am still fit & active & can hold my own on the court with much younger players ...

The moral? The lifestyle changes forced on you will benefit your health & wellbeing.

sussex

Good morning, joined today and would like some advice.I have type 2 diabetes started on metformin, which I couldn't cope with and progressed to insulin.Two years ago I was on a low dose, about 10 units twice a day it is now 140 units twice a day. I use Novamix, eat nothing with sugar and try to make fresh meals.I have gained about to stone in weight and have a large stomach and waist. My blood sugar readings average between 9 and 10. :?

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya sussex,
im type 1, but when i was on novomix ,i was on it for 2n a bit yrs,i too couldnt get low readings and put on 3 stone in weight,because of this my gp gave me lantus,since being on lantus for 15mnths i have lost 3stone 7 and still losing weight, my dr did blame this on novomix but i know people who have taken it and are great,what works on one may not work on another,i think its a matter of trying them until you find the right one,
take care
amanda :p

Marz Barr

Hi drillingcat
there are a lot worse things in the world than diabetes so i consider myself very lucky . i have beena type 1 for 13 years I always new i would become diabetic one day there is a strong history on my mothers side.but i got a chest infection and was taken into hospital with blood sugars of 44mm and was given 2 hoursto live dr hsd said it was azmah[sorry spelt that wrong] but im still hear anoying evryone . it will get better and stop the self loathing it won,t help it will just make you feel bad from something you did,nt have any control over