newly diabetic need some help. type 1

stegc84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The Celtic lol
I was at diabetes clinic today for 2nd appointment in 2 weeks. I was given a new machine to test keytones and glucos. Do I do that before and after eating? They told me not to use my own machine anymore.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you describe this machine(s)? I'm not aware of a single device that tests keytones and glucose.

Generally speaking, you would test your glucose before eating, inject insulin, then test a while after eating (usually around 2 hrs after). With that said, your doctor should have advised you of what to do. Each person is different and we know very little about your situation. Did they say why they don't want you using your old device?

Side note: I remember your initial posts and a good bit of time has passed since then. I'm a bit concerned as to why your healthcare team isn't providing you with this information. This is extremely important information to understand as a type 1. Not only that, but it's information I would expect to receive immediately after my diagnosis.

Rob2006Scott

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Abbot "Freestyle Neo" does both tests with different test strips. I agree that more information should have been given by the healthcare team. Good luck.

stegc84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The Celtic lol
The machines a GlucoMen Lx plus they've given me until Monday then ill be changing insulin to Green 1 lol and nova rapid. The strips for machine are coloured green and purple. They explained lots to me it's too much for me to take in

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You only need to test for your ketones if you've had high glucose levels (>13mmol) for a good few hours, and especially if you're feeling unwell. Testing for ketones is quite rare, and having the facility to do so is more as a precaution. I was diagnosed 7 months ago and have probably checked for ketones maybe once a month on average? Though I've never had a bad result.

Reactions: 2 people